Round 23 - Bulldogs vs Broncos - Post Match Discussion

I _think_ the rule is if you have BOTH feet outside the field of play in that situation then it's a 20m restart. They changed the old rule where you only had to have 1 foot outside the field of play for it to be a 20m restart (The Brian Smith exploit).

broncospwn said:
Yeah but what about in broken field play? A faster player could overtake a slower one then receive a forward pass.

That would then become offside wouldn't it?

I've thought about the "forward passes are ok except if offside" scenario too, but it does open options for exploitation. eg, slower player makes a break, comes to fullback and throws it high over his head, almost like a bomb, while faster support runs through from an onside position and catches it to score. You'd have to call that a deliberate forward pass (as Ari said).

I think it could work but you'd need to trial it in a few semi-serious games to see how it works. It just becomes another subjective issue on the part of the referees as to what is "deliberate" and what is not.

It would impact the defence a lot though. You'd have to be staggered, because if you're up flat it'd be easy for the ball runner to spot where you were coming up and pop a ball forward into the gap for an attacking player to get. I think you'd see short passing go nuts more than anything.

Active Now

• Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.