Round 23 - Bulldogs vs Broncos - Post Match Discussion

Isn't the point of two refs to try and correct these decisions? Decisions are often reversed after input from a touchy or 2nd ref. I don't know why that call was different.

"THIS GAME IS GOING TO CHANGE".

i am certain that happened yesterday.

The bottom line is we didn't score a try after the 7th min. That is our fault because we had plenty of good chances.
A side in good form would expect to win that game and we should have, but as Thaiday said we went away from what was working.

yes - we lost the game because we weren't good enough. i'm not debating that. im happy to accept that.

the refs played a huge part in the time the game when from 14 nil, to 14 - 12/16, thats all i'm saying.

we still should of won the game... maybe we didnt need to. this friday especially is crucial.

I agree. Players already get in refs faces trying to change decisions. It would occur much more if they thought the whinging might actually lead to the reversal of a penatly.

i dont think thats a problem as in most instances theres no basis for a penalty to be reversed. you cant call a penalty, have someone challenge it, and then go "oh yeah youre right - play on boys!". once the initial penalty has been blown the play has stopped. i dont see how a player could argue out of a "inside the 10" penalty and somehow get the penalty to go their way, do you? a "head high tackle" penalty isnt suddenly going to get changed from team A to an "incorrect play the ball" penalty to team B.

you cant "reverse" a penalty - only "reverse" which direction the penalty goes in, and there are only a very very very very very miniscule situations where it could happen. the play the ball is the one and basically only situation.

The thing that bugs me though is that the refs. clearly didn't learn their lesson.

They will after yesterday, though. There will be a directive telling them NEVER to admit getting a call wrong on the field. You're miked, FFS.

i dont think thats a problem as in most instances theres no basis for a penalty to be reversed. you cant call a penalty, have someone challenge it, and then go "oh yeah youre right - play on boys!". once the initial penalty has been blown the play has stopped. i dont see how a player could argue out of a "inside the 10" penalty and somehow get the penalty to go their way, do you? a "head high tackle" penalty isnt suddenly going to get changed from team A to an "incorrect play the ball" penalty to team B.

you cant "reverse" a penalty - only "reverse" which direction the penalty goes in, and there are only a very very very very very miniscule situations where it could happen. the play the ball is the one and basically only situation.

Good points but when one ref is calling to the other that Reed was pushed and he still goes ahead and blows it up... well it's no wonder NO ONE applauds the refs week to week.

And given your example here, the penalty could have been reversed for interference with the marker. Unless I'm mistaken Reed was on his way back to second marker when he was shoved by Reynolds.

And given your example here, the penalty could have been reversed for interference with the marker. Unless I'm mistaken Reed was on his way back to second marker when he was shoved by Reynolds.

exactly, which is what should have happened IF it is within the NRL rules that a penalty decision can be reviewed and changed. going by what the ref was saying, i would assume its NOT within the rules or else he would have done so.

if its not within the rules, it should be.

What should have happened was that the ref who blew the whistle should have consulted with the pocket ref first.

I can't believe how many tackles he has been missing. It really comes down to laziness IMO.

very lazy. I'm not trying to put the boot in to Gillett but I remember when he came on the scene in 2010 and we were all like "why has it taken him so long to break into first grade" I think we are seeing why now... laziness

I agree with everything you said, but it's still not going to stop players from trying, just in the hope that it does get reversed, even how remotely the chances of that happening is.

How about if someone gets a penalty against them for stripping the ball, but gets up arguing with the ref to reverse the decision because the opposition player actually lost the ball. Those penalties happen a lot during a game. If they players get up trying to argue the decision because they know there is a small hope that one of the other refs may make a call (other field ref or video ref) to reverse it, then it's going to get pretty old, pretty quickly.

In the interest of having the refs completely in control of the game, I'd rather a ref rule on the plays as they see them and stick to those decisions, and cop the extremely small amount of calls they make at the time to beleive they are correct, only to later realse they were incorrect. I really see it as a bit of a non issue. Other than on the weekend, when was the last time you saw a ref admit he made a wrong call?

I agree with everything you said, but it's still not going to stop players from trying, just in the hope that it does get reversed, even how remotely the chances of that happening is.

How about if someone gets a penalty against them for stripping the ball, but gets up arguing with the ref to reverse the decision because the opposition player actually lost the ball. Those penalties happen a lot during a game. If they players get up trying to argue the decision because they know there is a small hope that one of the other refs may make a call (other field ref or video ref) to reverse it, then it's going to get pretty old, pretty quickly.
Other than on the weekend, when was the last time you saw a ref admit he made a wrong call?

Bill Harrigan admits that referees get calls wrong all the time, and he even points out exactly which ones.

on your stripping example - too right i want them to be able to reverse a strip penalty if the player lost the ball cold! like i said - if we get the correct decision, i dont care how we get to it.

as it is, players are approaching the referee at every stop of play regardless of if a decision can be overturned or not. its a tactic used to slow down the game so your defence can get set or so you can run the clock out. so when every call is being questioned anyway, why not allow something to actually come of it?

They tried that a few years ago for a whole season AP and everyone hated it. Players and coaches included.

May as well watch NFL if we are going to check everything.

If the NRL expects to get a fat payday for the TV rights, one thing they're probably going to have to do is stretch the telecast out.

Instant video review for every crucial call, gogogogo. :scared:

I don't agree with time consuming TV reviews of decisions, BUT, if a referee makes a call and then one of the touch judges or 2nd referee points out "hey, I saw it differently" they should be able to potentially change their decision on the spot. That's nothing at all to do with player complaining (even if they were).

I don't agree with time consuming TV reviews of decisions, BUT, if a referee makes a call and then one of the touch judges or 2nd referee points out "hey, I saw it differently" they should be able to potentially change their decision on the spot. That's nothing at all to do with player complaining (even if they were).

Just out of curiousity, what do you say should have been the correct ruling for the Jack Reed penalty?

In the interest of having the refs completely in control of the game, I'd rather a ref rule on the plays as they see them and stick to those decisions, and cop the extremely small amount of calls they make at the time to beleive they are correct, only to later realse they were incorrect. I really see it as a bit of a non issue. Other than on the weekend, when was the last time you saw a ref admit he made a wrong call?

Yeah I agree that it all plays out, like sometimes you get a bad call sometimes a good call. What s**** me the most is it was so bloody obviously that the little grub reynolds had pushed reed, like so obvious, but Archer just ignored all evidence and ruled against us, really felt like he had an agenda.

Active Now

• Waynesaurus
  • Financeguy
  • sooticus
  • thenry
  • Manifesto
  • GCBRONCO
  • broncsgoat
  • Jazza
  • Lozza
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.