Round 23 - Bulldogs vs Broncos - Post Match Discussion

OXY-351

OXY-351

NRL Player
Oct 1, 2008
Bill Harrigan admits that referees get calls wrong all the time, and he even points out exactly which ones.

Yeah, after the fact and probably after veiwing numerous replays. It's not the ref who made the call admitign they made the wrong call.

How many times during a game would a decision get reversed by a ref. For the decision to be reversed, the ref who made the call would have to be overruled by someone (or at the least pointed out they are wrong). I think this reduces the controlling refs control of the game and would reduce the flow of the game. When you say "if we get the correct decision, i dont care how we get to it", would you realyl be happy with the video ref reviewing every single decision the ref makes? If you want the correct ruling, the video ref would be in the best position to make the calls.

I'm all for getting the right decision, but the side effects of achieving this may outweigh the number of times an incorrect ruling would actually be changed to a correct one.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
When you say "if we get the correct decision, i dont care how we get to it", would you realyl be happy with the video ref reviewing every single decision the ref makes? If you want the correct ruling, the video ref would be in the best position to make the calls.

I'm all for getting the right decision, but the side effects of achieving this may outweigh the number of times an incorrect ruling would actually be changed to a correct one.

yes, i would be happy with that. i want the video referee watching 100% of the time as a third referee. referees miss a blatant forward pass? video referee relays to referee to call it up. i see no reason to have him sitting there doing nothing until the referee asks him to look at something. why cant he just look at everything all the time?

i also want the video referee to be able to rule on forward passes, its a joke that they cant.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
yes, i would be happy with that. i want the video referee watching 100% of the time as a third referee. referees miss a blatant forward pass? video referee relays to referee to call it up. i see no reason to have him sitting there doing nothing until the referee asks him to look at something. why cant he just look at everything all the time?

i also want the video referee to be able to rule on forward passes, its a joke that they cant.

Because they did allow video referees to rule forward passes one season. And you know what happened? There were some forward passes let go, and some legitimate passes pulled up. It didn't help.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
shouldve given it more than 1 year. i have no doubt that if they brought it in now and left it for more than 1 year we would get more correct decisions. as it is now, if a referee misses a gridiron style pass and then goes to the video referee for grounding, the video referee is powerless to correct an obvious error. thats stupid.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
shouldve given it more than 1 year. i have no doubt that if they brought it in now and left it for more than 1 year we would get more correct decisions. as it is now, if a referee misses a gridiron style pass and then goes to the video referee for grounding, the video referee is powerless to correct an obvious error. thats stupid.

The problem is it's very hard to judge without a camera on the right angle to see the passing action from the hands. Where it goes after it leaves the hands is irrelevant, but unless you can clearly judge the arm movement and the initial movement of the ball out of the hands you can't actually judge a forward pass.

I wonder if they can come up with a hawkeye type system that can judge it? Seems unlikely.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
May as well watch NFL if we are going to check everything.

Rugby League (and before hand Rugby) rules were never written with the intention of being as strictly interpreted as they are these days under the scrutiny of television replays.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
if its debatable then benefit of the doubt to the attacking team, but there are many instances where a ball has gone 1m forward off a 2-3m pass that go uncalled by refs. direction of the hands is irrelevant in those instances.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I think they have made the forward pass rule to complicated (especially for refs in the middle) they should scrape this shit about direction of the hands and so forth... it should simply be "if the ball travels forward before it his the ground ... it is deemed a forward pass" SIMPLE

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
They should just make forward passes legal. Offside rule ensures it won't ten into NFL and deliberately throwing forward passes to an onside player will rarely be beneficial.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
They should just make forward passes legal. Offside rule ensures it won't ten into NFL and deliberately throwing forward passes to an onside player will rarely be beneficial.

Yeah but what about in broken field play? A faster player could overtake a slower one then receive a forward pass.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
The problem is it's very hard to judge without a camera on the right angle to see the passing action from the hands. Where it goes after it leaves the hands is irrelevant, but unless you can clearly judge the arm movement and the initial movement of the ball out of the hands you can't actually judge a forward pass.

I wonder if they can come up with a hawkeye type system that can judge it? Seems unlikely.

It's impossible to call correctly all the time with the camera angles we have. I remember this has been discussed before and some ppl didn't believe the camera could lie. Anyone who watched the rowing during the Olympics would have seen how much the angle distorted which boat was in front.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
It's impossible to call correctly all the time with the camera angles we have. I remember this has been discussed before and some ppl didn't believe the camera could lie. Anyone who watched the rowing during the Olympics would have seen how much the angle distorted which boat was in front.

if only we had white lines painted on the field in order to give perspective....

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
That would require common sense and a commission which could think proactive.

Oh wait, I thought you meant every 5 mtrs, should have known better.

The camera would still have to be inline with the pass or only the very obvious ones could be called by the vid ref.

Last edited:
Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Actually, it would be interesting to see if that helped at all ( 5 mtr line markings). I remember a couple of years ago Gary Belcher and Gary Freeman did that on NRL on Fox.

They had line markings every 5 mtrs and did a series of passes to prove how far the ball moved in the air after it was passed. I was really surprised with the result.

What might happen is a lot more passes get called forward, which should be allowed, but would look forward when being measured against a line.

Last edited:
Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I remember noticing this when it happened live but completely forgot about it after the game.

At approx 25:45 into the game, Norman collects an Ennis driving kick before it lands over the dead ball line, the ref. gave us the 20m restart.

Now, I think Norman did have a foot over the deadball, is that enough for it to be a 20m restart?

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
I remember noticing this when it happened live but completely forgot about it after the game.

At approx 25:45 into the game, Norman collects an Ennis driving kick before it lands over the dead ball line, the ref. gave us the 20m restart.

Now, I think Norman did have a foot over the deadball, is that enough for it to be a 20m restart?

Yeah I noticed the same thing, thought by letter of law it should have been a dropout but perhaps the refs used common sense and let it go as it was certainly out anyway.

gUt

gUt

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Norman was already out when he took it. If he'd jumped from the field of play and not touched the ground before touching the ball it would've been a drop out.

Old Mate

Old Mate

NRL Player
Jul 5, 2008

Yeah I noticed this as well, we were lucky there.

Active Now

• Astro
  • davidp
  • Manofoneway
  • Sproj
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Galah
  • Johnny92
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Jedhead
  • Old Mate
  • Justwin
  • Rambstien
  • Battler
  • Aldo
  • BroncosAlways
  • Brocko
  • Mr Fourex
  • Robboi_321
  • Fozz
  • pennywisealfie
... and 36 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.