Round 23 - Bulldogs vs Broncos - Post Match Discussion

Disappointing but at least we showed up to play today. Thaiday and Petero played their best games for the season. Last tackle options killed us and Gillett was horrible. McGuire wasn't his usual self either.

We've played worse.
Ordinarily that would be a pretty shocking loss, but after the last few weeks it doesn't seem so bad.

Since it doesn't feel right to not criticize someone, I'll have to say that Gillett is pure crap (7 missed tackles + 4 errors = team killer).

we showed we can turn up, and what we're capable of in the first stanza.

refs got the dogs back into the game.

after that point we lack direction/a leader to control the game. we never really looked like scoring in the last 20 mins.

i dunno. some seriously dodgy calls really helped the dogs to get back in the game.

hopefully we can build on what we did at the start of the game..

We played like the Bulldogs in the opening 20 and we were at our best. Props passing at the line, even the terrible flat attack looked effective because of that. I have no idea why we went away from it.

We should've finished them off in the last 20 minutes when the Bulldogs kept giving us decent possession. Attack was non-existent and structure was no where to be seen. Gillett was atrocious. Teo, Civo, and Thaiday were strong. Norman played well at fullback always supporting a break, Barba's first try was just a really unlucky bounce; in saying that Corey should have just conceded the drop out and brushed the ball out of play before Barba had even managed to get that close.

i dont feel like we'll ever come from behind to win a game. thats the most worrying thing for me. we had plenty of opportunity today to win that game late in the second half (Before wallace forgot to hold onto barbas legs).

other than that - just keep doing more of the first 20 mins. i guess it was never going to be 100% reversal in the space of one week.

im just disappointed because i dont think the dogs deserved their tries. especially when the ref says on field that he made the wrong call but hes already blown a penalty.

We played like the Bulldogs in the opening 20 and we were at our best. Props passing at the line, even the terrible flat attack looked effective because of that. I have no idea why we went away from it.

Yes, that 1st half, I haven't seen that sort of ball playing for a long time, and there was support. I thought it was very encouraging, and now we have to maintain that quality for the whole 80.

We are still in this.

Norman was ok at fullback. He offered plenty in attack and had the one brain fart

Last edited:
We looked great in the first 20, some decent attack at last, should have scored at least 2 more tries but we showed we can play like all the top sides.

Why did we go back to one off running, too much dummy half and no passing in the second half. I mean who makes the call to turn off the tap. Is it Griffin or Wallace ?.

What the F@ck was Hannant thinking when he broke the line, he had to pass or commit to plowing over Barba not slow down then dummy.

Gillett had some good touches but his defence is non existent. That loss could be more harmful than any other in the last month, knowing we played so well, should have won and didn't score for the last 3/4s of the game.

The dogs second marker is so far offside it's a joke but Hasler has the refs bluffed now, he bitches so much they are scared of him.

This is reminiscent of the Bob Fulton era now, every call against them right or wrong is challenged and if they can't say anything about the call they point out something else they feel should have been called.

It's well past time the commission grows a set and puts a stop to this.

We REALLY missed Parker and Glenn in the forwards. Forgetting about Gillett's crappy performance for a second, we really took the foot off the pedal when Lui and Dudds came on together. I'm not even a fan of one of them coming on, let alone both.

OUR ATTACK IS ****ING PATHETIC

2010 all over again.

The game was won by Hasler crying about the refs last week.

We could have done more, but the door was opened for the Dogs by some absolutely shocking decisions.

Centres in the centres are a great help and we're gonna miss Teo next year. I would never have thought that I would prefer to lose Gillett over Teo but here we are...

Last edited:
Ok here comes a rant. Firstly though I want to congratulate the side on a great turnaround, attitude was fantastic and we looked a lot more dangerous with a fullback who actually supports through the middle.

Now. The referees were f#cking disgusting today! Des Hasler made mention after the Knights game that the refs were saying "this is about to change" to one another and then a string of decisions went the Knights way well today it felt like after about 20 minutes every single decision went against us whether it be 50/50 penalty calls, 50/50 handling errors and even the video ref decision to deny Wallace when he looked more than likely to have scored. I just feel like the refs expected the Dogs to come back and aided them in their efforts. I just cannot believe just how much went there way in the second half including two extremely soft penalties back to back to help hand them their second try. I have not been so angry about refereeing in a long time, I just hate the standard of refs and I hate the way we were screwed out of any hope of winning this footy match. F#ck off Harrigan and Raper and start again because the refs are simply not understanding the game and also get simple decisions wrong constantly. FFS!

Gillett is a real worry...

To be fair you can't blame recruitment for letting Teo go, SOMEONE had to go... they had to make a call. I really hope Gillett repays the faith... though I think Teo would have cost two young guns anyway. I have to say, I was more of the 'keep teo' bandwagon... but doesn't matter now anyway.

We need to get more ball to our centres early and with space... or at least have short ball shifts out there... I just think Hodgo and Reed are being half wasted out there.

Don't blame the refs, we cant construct a try when field position is handed to us on a platter.

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • sooticus
  • thenry
  • Manifesto
  • GCBRONCO
  • broncsgoat
  • Jazza
  • Lozza
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.