Round 23 - Bulldogs vs Broncos - Post Match Discussion

we dont have a barba, though.

take barba out of that side over the last 11 weeks.. do they still win 11 in a row? he's single handedly torn teams apart.

i hate the term, but we have zero 'x-factor'
The only players in our current lineup that is consider to have it is Hodges to an extent and Gillett but he's playing like a reserve grader so I don't know. Reed maybe could count.

**** it's hard to follow this team at the moment.

Ok overall I reckon we lifted and improved. Norman and Wallace had a real dig although Wallace seemed to fade out of the contest later on.

Gillett can do good things but he's clearly a bench/impact player at best. Bringing him on for Thaiday is his proper role in this team imo.

Other than that, I agree with those bagging the refs. They completely ****ed us in this match with a series of calls that were either marginal and went the Dogs' way, or were flat-out incorrect. It's all very gallant and noble to say we shouldn't blame them for our loss and I will forgive any ref an error or two in a fast-paced game of rugby league.

But the string of shoddy shite they dished up to our team today is frankly unprofessional. So sick and tired of tightly fought contests being pissed on from a great height by full time 'professional' refs who just don't seem to understand the impact they have.

Anyway, the boys at least showed they're not completely done with yet in 2012 but it's hard to seriously claim they're a threat for the title.
I'm not surprised the refs were so bad, Hasler won the dogs the game by bagging the refs to the media and saying how bad the dogs have been treated.

I'm not surprised the refs were so bad, Hasler won the dogs the game by bagging the refs to the media and saying how bad the dogs have been treated.

He used to say that about Manly & it was the same result.

Sad part is, refs play into his hands.

The refs did the same thing to us, what Des was complaining about last week. And we will cop it on the chin.

Last edited:
The penalty against Reed after he was pushed back down was a massive turning point, oh, and watching Thaiday with his hands on his knees as the dogs just ran around him, good effort - why this guy made captain is beyond me...

Archer to Reed:

"Too late, I've already made the call."

****ing shocking.

The penalty against Reed after he was pushed back down was a massive turning point, oh, and watching Thaiday with his hands on his knees as the dogs just ran around him, good effort - why this guy made captain is beyond me...

Ref said he couldn't reverse it, after it's been awarded.

Thaiday isn't playing well, but he has been carrying an injury all season.

i am one who would normally HATE to blame refs. i dont like it. but today it was rubbish. and as its been pointed out was a direct result of WHO WAS PLAYING and more importantly THEIR COACH.

yes we could of put more tries on. yes we could of won the game toward the end. but we're at a point in our season where we are struggling and to have the refs blatantly throw away our 14 point lead just stinks imo.

you can bet ya ****in money if that was barba going over the line at the end instead of wallace they would of awarded it a try (even though it was PROBABLY trivial at that point).

that decision where the ref instantly blew a penalty then straight away said I CANT CHANGE IT NOW had me fuming. YOU CAN CHANGE IT.

Great first 20 minutes - we at least have something to take out of this weekend which is more than we could say about the previous three weeks.

If we'd taken our opportunities we probably would have won that game 13+. It was inevitable that the Dogs were going to hit back when they got some decent field position and managed to hold on to the ball but I don't think they would have run down a 3-4 try start.

Archer to Reed:

"Too late, I've already made the call."

****ing shocking.

This ^^^^. It's really f*cked up. So what if he's already made the call. It was the wrong one......Archer admitted it was the wrong one, so why do with have to play on and accept it. Change your ruling you dickhead !!! Why penalise a team simply because you f*cked up and won't do anything about it.......pissed me off to no end hearing Archer say that.

i am one who would normally HATE to blame refs. i dont like it. but today it was rubbish. and as its been pointed out was a direct result of WHO WAS PLAYING and more importantly THEIR COACH.

yes we could of put more tries on. yes we could of won the game toward the end. but we're at a point in our season where we are struggling and to have the refs blatantly throw away our 14 point lead just stinks imo.

you can bet ya ****in money if that was barba going over the line at the end instead of wallace they would of awarded it a try (even though it was PROBABLY trivial at that point).

that decision where the ref instantly blew a penalty then straight away said I CANT CHANGE IT NOW had me fuming. YOU CAN CHANGE IT.

You know .........there is some out there in Rugby League land who are quite willing to suggest that Brisbane get the rub of the green more often than not from the referees. As hard as it is to admit ( and I will not ) .......they do have a point.

Take the good with the bad and you have to roll with the punches. Well used clichés.........doesn't make them any less truthful.

But yeah.........Archer in particular, sucked bigtime today.

Credit to Griffin for not going beserk in the presser. He held himself very well despite such rubbish officiating at crucial times today, I will rant about them but I don't like seeing the club do it especially the coach or captain. It doesn't set a good example and despite how it clearly benefits your team if you do it strategically like Des does I would not like my coach to do it.

We should do it, it clearly works. Just like wrestling, second-man sweep plays and diving for high shots.

i'd like to commend lachlan maranta. he's been outstanding. was tested a few times today and came up trumps every time.

we dont have a barba, though.

take barba out of that side over the last 11 weeks.. do they still win 11 in a row? he's single handedly torn teams apart.

i hate the term, but we have zero 'x-factor'

I think that is so true. Nevertheless, like other "x-factor" players, he gets a lot of help from well thought out plays, which are constructed just for him. Just simple, smart coaching - you play to your strengths. It would also seem that the Broncos have a bit of a reputation for complacency in their red zone on first plays from a scrum win.

At the same time, 3 of their tries came from simple, ineffective tackles which should have been made, the other because of a horrible defensive blunder by our FB.

On the other hand, our tries (as well as the butchered ones) were created from great plays which couldn't really be defended. (Just loved Petero's catch-pass leading up to T'eo's try.) No one-out stuff in the first 25 mins.

We just seem to lack the mental toughness to keep to the game plan when the momentum turns, for whatever reason. Things went wrong and our focus and intensity just dropped. And it was such a very good game plan. Very smart. We made the Dogs look ordinary. Maybe we just need a little more practice at it as well.

Last edited:
At the same time, 3 of their tries came from simple, ineffective tackles which should have been made, the other because of a horrible defensive blunder by our FB.

head has cleared - and this is what i am taking from the game. WE BEAT OURSELVES today (ignoring referee blunders for a moment).

at no stage did i feel the dogs were going to blow us away and they've been the benchmark of the comp for the last three months.

if we can focus on the good (and the first 20 minutes was really good from us) and turn that into confidence, we can beat anyone.

we havent put in an 80 minute performance yet this year.. its up to us.

I believe every try besides the last one came from direct bullshit refereeing decisions...

Seriously, I am beyond pissed by how bad the refs were. I thought we were awesome to start, if we can put that performance in more consistently over the full 80 minutes then we'll be as good a chance as any other team to take out the title.

Please beat the Storm next week, I hate losing to those cheating scums.

I don't want to say anything that's going to make some of the kock-eyed optimists here start running around humping bits of furniture but today's game had some rather eerie similarities to a similar situation in 2006.

Just like today, in 06' the Broncos were off a bad loss in Canberra (their 3rd or 4th on the trot) and played the hottest team in the comp at the time (the Storm), scored a couple of early tries and led 12-0 before getting run down in the second half. But it was a performance that (despite the eventual result) was a real tonic for the team's self belief .. and we all know what happened a few weeks later ..

Today was a virtual replica of that day in 06' ....

Refs sorry about dodgy Bulldogs penalty decision

IT MIGHT be the first and last time a referee has apologised for a wrong decision but it doesn't make the result any easier to stomach.

Brisbane coach Anthony Griffin remained diplomatic if not disappointed by yesterday's crucial penalty ruling by referee Tony Archer that turned a game on its head.

With three minutes to go until halftime the Broncos were ahead 14-0 and repelling every Canterbury advance. They were the better team but they needed the break to arrive and they needed it quickly.

But Archer penalised Jack Reed for flopping on to a completed tackle, just as the second referee Gavin Badger was yelling out the Bronco had been pushed by Bulldog Josh Reynolds.

However, with the whistle blown, the referees conceded to the players they couldn't reverse the decision and within two tackles the Bulldogs were over for their first points of the game.

It was a moment every NRL coach feared leading into the finals. A referee blunder that changes a game.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...penalty-decision/story-e6frep76-1226448717920

I can't get over the fact that the decision can't be changed by the refs once they realised a mistake had been made... could you imagine if it was a GF that was all tied up and a team won the game on the back of a decision like that?

but for once i didn't hear Hasler complain about the refs ... i wonder why?

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Big Del
  • sooticus
  • KateBroncos1812
  • BroncosAlways
  • Hurrijo
  • Porthoz
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Santa
  • broncos4life
  • Xzei
  • ChewThePhatt
  • ostin86
  • bb_gun
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Manofoneway
  • Culhwch
  • Locky24
  • Foordy
... and 18 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.