Round 23 - Souths vs Broncos - Post Game Discussion

GI's performance was exceptional for sure... But their forward pack did a number on us, making way too many meters through the middle third.

Good grief they were. Numerous times they were making 80 odd metres in a seat through power running and dummy half darts. With ease.

Nevertheless, the boys never stopped trying, despite being clearly out gunned. The Vidot and Maranta back to back fumbles really cruelled any chance of a comeback.

I don't believe they were any grubbier than other teams / previous encounters. There's a lot on the line and the match was played with according intensity.

Overall, the loss sucked but I think a lot of people's negativity boils down to unrealistic expectations. We were always a very long shot against Souths. You can frustrate a one dimensional team like the Dogs out of the contest but we were never going to repeat that result against a more committed team.

That's the season likely done and dusted. A shame, but there's been more to smile about this year than for a while. Next year looks better. Life goes on.

Also, go the Cowboys! Even though we all know it'll never happen...

As well, it's largely because we are not aggressive enough in defence and our line speed sucks which enables them to get up a full head of steam before they hit our defensive line.

We don't hit in defence - we grab and drag.

I couldnt agree more, the issue stems back to the overall club and coaching idea of how to defend. players across both the nrl squad and nyc get in trouble for using their shoulders at training and are taught to grab and hold as the first option. as crazy as that sounds its true..... I dont know which einstein came up with the idea but whoever it was needs to go.

players across both the nrl squad and nyc get in trouble for using their shoulders at training and are taught to grab and hold as the first option. as crazy as that sounds its true..... I dont know which einstein came up with the idea but whoever it was needs to go.

Unbelievable. That's so counter intuitive!

I believe Kearney should go with Griffin. We've rarely shown consistent steel in defence for a few years now. He may not be the source of the problem but he's not improved us either.

As well, it's largely because we are not aggressive enough in defence and our line speed sucks which enables them to get up a full head of steam before they hit our defensive line.

We don't hit in defence - we grab and drag.

I couldnt agree more, the issue stems back to the overall club and coaching idea of how to defend. players across both the nrl squad and nyc get in trouble for using their shoulders at training and are taught to grab and hold as the first option. as crazy as that sounds its true..... I dont know which einstein came up with the idea but whoever it was needs to go.

It also gets worse than that. Yet again, line speed, our dreadful tendency to slide sideways in defence out wide instead of moving forward and attacking the ball carrier, and defenders standing flat footed waiting for the ball carrier.

I just watched the Warriors game in Rd 19. Talk about appalling defence. We won that 'cos the Warriors were just as bad, although their aggression leaves us for dead. Having said that, our attack was pretty good.

Alex Glenn definitely needs to move out of the 11. He is not a link man any more and for mine, would do better defending and running in the middle with Thaiday on the right running wide a la his role in Origin.

Their first try: Ben Hunt just stood there and watched before deciding to move up by which time it was too late. Later, Copley and Barba sliding laterally instead of moving up on the ball runner.

Most times the Warriors got the ball, they made almost 10m before getting tackled.

The Souths game was an even worse example of this horrible defensive pattern.

Grrrrr. The club's defensive coaching needs a rocket, separate to our failure to play to our strengths.

Alex Glenn definitely needs to move out of the 11. He is not a link man any more and for mine, would do better defending and running in the middle with Thaiday on the right running wide a la his role in Origin.

While Glenn has yet to replicate his attacking prowess of 2012 and was particularly (IMO) sub par last year, I still think he could return to form. Like many of our troops, I attribute his decline to his designated role under the current coaching regime.

Consider our left edge this year has been Vidot, Reed, Glenn, Hoffman. No one to really create opportunities. Relatively slow (Vidot, Reed) and predictable (Vidot, Hoffman).

He's had a terrific workrate this year despite being relegated to grunt work and had made/backed up a few breaks. I think he's done alright given neither his inside or outside men have given him much to work with.

Now consider Barba or Milf at 6 with a full pre season and attacking structure built around them. Copley at left centre. Potentially Hoffman or Boyd to the wing (or Vidot retains). That's far more dynamic and offers multiple avenues of attack. Dare say we'll see an according improvement in Alex's game.

Bahahahahaha bullshit

He has never had a whole 80 minute performance. He tackles himself silly for 60 minutes and then everything is in slow motion. And his slow motion is pretty damn slow considering his usual speed from dummy half isn't great. And I like the guy. I just wouldn't say he is an 80 minute hooker. Because he is yet to prove that he can do it well.

Interesting viewing watching 2 tries they scored.

The first, when Reynolds kicked for Inglis (why Hunt/Barba don't use that play with Copley is beyond me) Reynolds had literally acres of space to get the ball and execute the kick. No Bronco within cooee.

Then, as Inglis took the ball, there were 3 unmarked Souths backs on the left enjoying the show.

When Luke set up Auva'a, there was no effective marker, and Luke had about 20 metres of free space to run before Auva'a was set up to score.

If you're going to have faith in this team, that sort of shit defence needs to go, starting next game.

Why does this team just stand around watching the opposition run the ball before committing to missing the tackle?

Interesting viewing watching 2 tries they scored.

The first, when Reynolds kicked for Inglis (why Hunt/Barba don't use that play with Copley is beyond me) Reynolds had literally acres of space to get the ball and execute the kick. No Bronco within cooee.

Then, as Inglis took the ball, there were 3 unmarked Souths backs on the left enjoying the show.

When Luke set up Auva'a, there was no effective marker, and Luke had about 20 metres of free space to run before Auva'a was set up to score.

If you're going to have faith in this team, that sort of shit defence needs to go, starting next game.

Why does this team just stand around watching the opposition run the ball before committing to missing the tackle?

probably because Copley is always in a different bloody position

Keep forgetting to mention this - is a voluntary tackle still supposed to be penalised? Because a Souths player cleaned up a kick, and dove to the ground at the feet of the Broncos chasers. Just lay there, no Bronco put a hand on him. The ref just said to play it and the game continued.

Yet Foran got penalised on Sunday for playing the ball when he thought he was tackled lol

Not that it matters but,

[TWEET]501195006745382912[/TWEET]

Keep forgetting to mention this - is a voluntary tackle still supposed to be penalised? Because a Souths player cleaned up a kick, and dove to the ground at the feet of the Broncos chasers. Just lay there, no Bronco put a hand on him. The ref just said to play it and the game continued.

It is supposed to be a penalty, but unfortunately they rarely penalize players for it these days.

Ha, now the shoe is definitely on the other foot.

Brisbane used to cop these sort of attacks after a good win all the time, it was a nice vote of confidence even when half their supporter base will tell you they were **** and big changes HAD to be made.

While I hate to lose and would love to blame it on just about anything other than the Broncos simply not being good enough when it matters, I don't think Souths are breaking the cap at all.

They'd only have a few of those players on serious contracts and some of them too would be attracting all sorts of third party offers since they're so marketable (eg. GI & Burgess).

The rest were mostly just players they developed and helped turn from struggling plodders into quality talent. Players like Johnston, Walker, Keary & Auva'a were basically unheralded, now they're pushing close to the best backline in the competition.

George, Turner & Tom are both in their rookie years.

Nobody wanted a piece of the likes of Tuqiri, Picker or Reddy either so to say they're on big deals seems laughable to me.

Credit where it's due, they've just done a great job. If those players were in the hand of a lesser coach, nobody would be raising an eye brow over them cheating the cap.

Fair enough, although I did say that the Broncos were just simply outgunned (read outplayed by a better team).

Third party is true enough although for all that that is said I really would think we would be seeing these guys in advertisements all the time. But to be honest I do rate the young fellas you mentioned, they are good quality. I'm only saying that there are some big money players in that roster. They have done very well.

Still bitter that Inglis went there instead of up to Brisbane :( Maybe we should stop paying our blokes so much when they under-perform.

It is supposed to be a penalty, but unfortunately they rarely penalize players for it these days.

Yeah, I hate this sort of thing. Really annoys me. Almost as much as the blocker on the kicker. You have guys deliberately obstructing the marker from running at the kicker to put pressure on him. That should also be penalised, takes the pressure off too much.

Active Now

• Galah
  • ChewThePhatt
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Stix
  • Alec
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • bb_gun
  • NSW stables
  • Wolfie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.