Round 24 - Broncos vs Storm - Post Match Discussion

Outside of that never on chip kick, that was like the Hodges of old out there, not just dangerous out of dummy half but everywhere on the field, it was definitely one of the highlights tonight.

Also one thing is more and more evident every week - we lack pace. Te'o looks like our fastest player at the moment.

It's a worry when a six point deficit with twenty-five minutes in the game feels insurmountable. Just glad they made a game of it tonight. Not sure what sucks more, losing big to the Storm or losing by one. I don't know if I can cope with a loss to Manly next week. At least the arrow is pointing up.

Did Harrigan really say 5 decisions went against us last week?

Were Archer and Badger dropped?
In his weekly review he talks about the Reed penalty being wrong, but doesn't mention anything else. Not sure where else he would have said it.

Broncos fvcked by the refereeing again.

Of concern is why we looked completely out of breath 4 minutes after half time?
Marathon at half time.

It's turning to the Lord of the Flies in here. :laugh:

Shame Wallace didn't have a better performance than I expected of him, then there might be some real power to my mocker abilities.

Will say, Gillett was much better in defence tonight. Made a couple really good tackles.

Broncos fvcked by the refereeing again.

Of concern is why we looked completely out of breath 4 minutes after half time?

It's a concern, but against the Storm in a game like this I think it's less of an issue. Really, with the bullshit video referee call and all, we won in every aspect of the game bar the scoreboard. I know that's probably not a great consolation, but considering where we were 2 weeks ago it's a massive improvement. And we did it against the Storm, many people's pick to win the Premiership. That's no small feat at all. Our finals path is going to be a hard one in terms of what we have to do to get there, but with what he had tonight I think there's a lot of potential.

For me, the keys will be:

A) Let Macca play 80mins. A fatigued McCullough > Fresh Capewell.
B) Finding ways to change Norman and Hoffman at fullback. Norman must be the fullback in the red zone but everywhere they should change.
C) Kicking smarter. There were times tonight where we should have kicked earlier in the count. We had good runs coming out of our own half but we took the extra 1-2 runs to gain 15m and put in a 5th tackle kick which came back to the 30m line.
D) Get McGuire and Glenn back.

We do those things and we'll give any team a shake.

It looked as though Wallace was directing play in our half, then when we were in their half Hunt and Norman took over the play.

Wallace wasn't even thinking field goal either he wasn't positioned to take a shot at all. Norman was ready for a shot but Macca passed to Wallace. Horrible decision making from him.

Capewell and Lui are a complete waste on the bench. You could say the same about Dodds but he has been better then those two in particular (in defense more so).

Petero was a machine in the first half but he was no-where to be seen in the second half; his stats are something like 3 hitups for 20 metres in the second half as opposed to his 9 hitups and 90 metres in the first half. It's either Petero just isn't physically fit enough, or Griffin's lost the plot?

Petero was a machine in the first half but he was no-where to be seen in the second half; his stats are something like 3 hitups for 20 metres in the second half as opposed to his 9 hitups and 90 metres in the first half. It's either Petero just isn't physically fit enough, or Griffin's lost the plot?

Petro wasn't alone here. No forwards were making good metres in the second half. Despite the fact that Melbourne have a pretty meh forward pack they managed to completely out muscle us.

Which goes back to the what the hell happened during half time thing.

I have been suffering in silence the last few weeks and just reading all of your posts, but I am somewhat surprised that no one is really commenting on what a clusterf*ck of a selection it was for Hook to select Hoffman on the wing.

Bellamy zeroed in on that selection and targetted Hoffman all night, no surprise all three tries came on his side. Hook clearly out-coached in my view.

My other observation is how shit it is to see minutes into the second half our players down on their haunches on their line and having Hodges having to tell them off to get up. Not much in the fortitude department for this side I am afraid.

I apologise for the negativity, but they are sh*tting me to tears, I honestly believe that on their day this side could win the premiership, I just wish they would realise it. Going to be a long season next year, losing Petero, Teo and Beale and replacing them with air.

Is it just me or for the last 3-4 years we have been making really poor recruiting and retention decisions??

I have been suffering in silence the last few weeks and just reading all of your posts, but I am somewhat surprised that no one is really commenting on what a clusterf*ck of a selection it was for Hook to select Hoffman on the wing.

Bellamy zeroed in on that selection and targetted Hoffman all night, no surprise all three tries came on his side. Hook clearly out-coached in my view.

My other observation is how shit it is to see minutes into the second half our players down on their haunches on their line and having Hodges having to tell them off to get up. Not much in the fortitude department for this side I am afraid.

I apologise for the negativity, but they are sh*tting me to tears, I honestly believe that on their day this side could win the premiership, I just wish they would realise it. Going to be a long season next year, losing Petero, Teo and Beale and replacing them with air.

Is it just me or for the last 3-4 years we have been making really poor recruiting and retention decisions??

no, it's not just you ... and whilst ever we've got block-heads in complete pig-headed denial about the ability of this current playing group, we'll just continue to recruit the fish john west reject and we'll continue to flounder on the field ..

It's just frustrating isn't it?

I was actually happier with this performance than most of our victories tbh but we just don't have the confidence to stick with these teams. It's tough to cop and nobody knows what it's going to take for us to turn it around, especially with injuries and such involved.

It's just one of those phases you wear I guess.

Our recruitment & retention has been a real worry. We seem to be the Knighs, Cowboys & Rabbitohs best feeder club at the moment. Dragons also seem to love taking promising fullbacks off of us too. Think this club needs to make a bold move soon.

Last edited:

How is it any different to Maranta? He's a fullback playing on the wing... Either way, one of them has to play out of position.

Really unimpressed with our cross field bombs - these used to be a strength of ours when Yow Yeh was around, now we aren't getting the angle, and therefore the hang-time, right

The difference for me though, is Maranta had been handling the position and playing with a degree of confidence. Hoffman seemed to be down on confidence somewhat playing in his prime position, so it seemed to be a recipe for disaster picking him to play out of position in those circumstances.

Maranta has spent a fair bit of time on the wing in recent years.

Can't remember Hoffman playing there since I believe a Round 5 2010 game against the Dragons. He was pretty good that night but was exposed tonight.

Active Now

• FACTHUNT
  • BroncoFan94
  • Dee
  • Mighty Bronx
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Yellowfella
  • cento
  • Kev_Guz
  • Robboi_321
  • Aldo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Morkel
  • Wolfie
  • LockyersLeftBoot
  • Gaz
  • Nerd
  • Allo
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • ezpz
  • Totally Unr3al
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.