Round 24 - Panthers vs. Broncos - Post Match Discussion

so we went 5 weeks without losing and now the world has ended...

beautifully put brother Nab.
Disjointed teams that ask no questions at the ruck appear much slower- at the current play and especially the ones that follow.
It is pointless arguing the good argument to some on here who just don't see the tactics and Griffin as being the problem. In a Bellamy coached team, who value timing and precision at the ruck, our 'numpties' would be great.
Please watch the magnificent 'lateness' with which Cameron Smith executes his plays- watch the way each ruck play I s designed to slide defenders around and create space on plays that follow. Consider how they create confusion about who is going to receive the ball which affects the numbers in the tackle and the speed of the play the ball. watch the way t hey can mix it up.
That is a clever team.
Us?
I feel for our forwards who get ambushed on every play.

Spare my days- Hook is an under 16 coach who has created a very dumb out of touch team.
This is ver old news though.

I believe the approaches to the hairdresser and Milford, both unpredictable and off the cuff types, is a clear message that tactically we are not in the race with other teams.
Throw the book at a coach with at least a modicum of mouse FFS.

That is absolutely spot on.

A properly coached football team in any code is a self-organizing machine. Each player is part of an organic whole. No one player stands in isolation from his relationship to every other player, and that relationship is defined by an overall strategy and specific tactics.

Once you have the structure, then by all means let the flashy classy players improvise around and through, and within that structure.

It's really no different to a good band playing a good song, structured around a key(s) which then allows the virtuoso(s) to add the improvisation, the brilliance, but always knowing that the rest of the team is there, in support.

The combinations are there, worked out and developed through patience and hard work. When I think of DCE e.g. I think of DCE/Foran/Ballin, or Slater/Cronk/Smith - a unit, not 3 individuals.

That is what we lack.

We have it in bits and pieces, and we play like it. When we put it together, although it seems like opportunism rather than plan, we do well. Our left side is one example.

I am almost tempted to think we would have been better off continuing under Henjak.

Last edited:
The manly right side combo of DCE/G.Stewart/Lyon/Williams is something we should look to copy.

How do you copy the world class players when we don't have any?

The manly right side combo of DCE/G.Stewart/Lyon/Williams is something we should look to copy.

Agree totally, as well as a lot of other combinations. Thing is though, our left side can be so fucking good, but let down by the rabble in the middle, and a right side that has become over reliant on Hodges.

As for "class", yes, not all players are created equal, but then it's the (well coached) team that makes the player, not the other way around

Last edited:
How do you copy the world class players when we don't have any?

This.

We have a tremendous amount of potential or developing talent on the books but few players who can, or have the experience of, breaking a game open themselves and making the right decisions when there isn't time to think. One of them is injury crocked to the point that he will surely retire soon, and the other is well and truly over the hill.

Talent is wasted without structure - purpose, direction and support play.

Do people think it's really just a case of throw it to Barba/Milford/Thurston etc?

The cows have been throwing it to Thurston for 3/4 of the season and look where they sit on the ladder. Mind you, for mine, they now look serious finals contenders.

Wonder why

Last edited:
Good god. I just read segeyaro had food poisoning all week and gave it to the whole team pretty much. The panthers didnt even train all week and they flogged us.

But on a positive note. Thaiday still believes we deserve to be in the finals and will still make it. What a magnificent captain

Not only our performance was poor last night's commentary was probably the worst i've ever heard for a long time. Hadley spent more time talking about his day at the hairdresser, craters on the moon, Steve Waugh's book and all kinds of rubbish than actually calling the game. Get Matt Thompson back at least he calls the game and doesn't gibber like Hadley does.

I pissed myself laughing when he said "that could cost Brisbane a spot in the finals!" like it should just be handed to us.

The reffing was bad, but we lost because of our defence.

"I'm very disappointed with our effort tonight. We've got a lot to learn from this game," said Sam

I think it was a recording made early in the season ... last season

This is what I said in the pre-game thread...
Segeyaro will be extremely dangerous once our ruck defence starts to slow down. But if we can contain him, we'll be a big chance of continuing the run!

Seriously, I'm just a fan with some understanding of the game, but apparently I have more of a clue than our whole coaching team and player roster...

And yes, the refs didn't help either, in fact that was the most appalling display I've seen all season, but it doesn't excuse our ruck defence, which has been horrible most of the year, or our line speed... idem ditto!

I don't care about anything else at this moment, our middle third defence is by far our worst problem, and even if we get Barba, Milford and DCE, we'll still get carved up through the middle.

[MENTION=7803]Broncoman[/MENTION] I would really like you to change your signature before the world cup please...

"How I hope 2013 will be for me.

Broncos premiers and minor premiers - uhhhhh, no. NSW winning back the shield with a 3-0 sweep with Gal the man of the series - we know how that turned out :thumbup1:
The mighty Kangaroos crushing all before them and claiming the world cup - REMOVE THIS BEFORE YOU JINX IT DAMMIT!

Bring it on"

Not only our performance was poor last night's commentary was probably the worst i've ever heard for a long time. Hadley spent more time talking about his day at the hairdresser, craters on the moon, Steve Waugh's book and all kinds of rubbish than actually calling the game. Get Matt Thompson back at least he calls the game and doesn't gibber like Hadley does.

What's worse than all of the above is his loud bogan laugh. I heard vossy commentating on fox and it was so soothing to hear. Bring him back ffs

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Skathen
  • Foordy
  • Battler
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • RolledOates
  • Ondi
  • Midean
  • broncsgoat
  • Fatboy
  • Big Del
  • Allo
  • BruiserMk1
  • mitch222
  • Brotherdu
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.