10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
PNG Broncos fan88

PNG Broncos fan88

NRL Player
Aug 27, 2018
The fact Turps scored some great individual tries has nothing to do with him being at halfback for those games. They were 'cos of individual skill, which is great, same as Fifita, Haas and co. Thing is, that is insufficient to win games against the top sides, where a team needs a genuine half to mobilise the forwards and get the edges and outside backs running, none of which Turps has shown he can do consistently, if at all.
Individual skills, nuh he was backing up his forwards where our highly paid fullback should have been doing. He backed up our forwards and made a few 'Alfie' jinks evading defenders and scored. If you are a genuine footballer, you can play any position - so what if you played hooker in the lower grades? His just 22 for gods sake, give him a chance to improve.
Jezuz, our fanbase will never accept a 'genuine half' unless he is the next Allan Langer clone. Can we just have patience in Seibold's trust in Turpin, and hope that he can do what Bellamy did to Cronk. Turned the utility 5/8, hooker, lock into one of the best halfbacks of our generation.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Individual skills, nuh he was backing up his forwards where our highly paid fullback should have been doing. He backed up our forwards and made a few 'Alfie' jinks evading defenders and scored. If you are a genuine footballer, you can play any position - so what if you played hooker in the lower grades? His just 22 for gods sake, give him a chance to improve.
Jezuz, our fanbase will never accept a 'genuine half' unless he is the next Allan Langer clone. Can we just have patience in Seibold's trust in Turpin, and hope that he can do what Bellamy did to Cronk. Turned the utility 5/8, hooker, lock into one of the best halfbacks of our generation.

You wouldn’t run a prop at halfback with a dream of turning him into another Cronk. Ask Dave Taylor.

PNG Broncos fan88

PNG Broncos fan88

NRL Player
Aug 27, 2018
You wouldn’t run a prop at halfback with a dream of turning him into another Cronk. Ask Dave Taylor.
Andrew Johns (rep halfback/hooker), Geoff Toovey (rep halfback/hooker)...connect the dots, smart fellow.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015

He is a hooker, he isnt a halfback. Of course we will accept a genuine half, thats why people are a little annoyed that a decent half back has been dropped for a hooker who isnt really that great in the halves. His tries certainly won us games, but it also masked how ordinary he was in almost every aspect of play you need to see from a half. Nobody is bagging Turpin at hooker, just in a position he is clearly inferior in.

As for your point about genuine footballers being able to play any position, thats wishful thinking. Pat Carrigan is just a genuine footy player, but he couldnt play in the backs and do a good job at it.

I also think you will find it was mainly Cooper Cronk who turned himself into a halfback with his incredible work ethic and determination. He played all over the place at Norths , and kind of fell into halfback through necessity at Melbourne after they lost Orford. Melbourne wanted him at 7, but Cronk was the driving force to why he became so great.

PNG Broncos fan88

PNG Broncos fan88

NRL Player
Aug 27, 2018
He should only get a run on the wing imo. He will get destroyed if he is put under pressure at center in the NRL. Keeps things simple for him and he could do some real damage. Pity he plays predominantly on the left or i would drop him in for Issako in a heartbeat.

Finding it hard to agree with your perspective on what Perese can or can't do at centre, especially after your dire predications on Turpin's start in 1st grade.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Finding it hard to agree with your perspective on what Perese can or can't do at centre, especially after your dire predications on Turpin's start in 1st grade.

I've probably seen both a lot more than you considering i watch Redcliffe pretty much most weeks. I doubt you have seen a great deal of Perese at all.

And i didnt really make any dire predictions about Turpin. I simply said Turpin wasnt really pushing his claims with his form for Redcliffe, which he wasnt.

PNG Broncos fan88

PNG Broncos fan88

NRL Player
Aug 27, 2018
As for your point about genuine footballers being able to play any position, thats wishful thinking. Pat Carrigan is just a genuine footy player, but he couldnt play in the backs and do a good job at it.
WTF has Carrigan have to do with playing in the backs.
The point is - half can play hooker, hooker can play half?
Brisbane's best halfback prospect, Tanah Boyd was playing for Titans at hooker just last weekend against the Knights

Last edited:
Galah

Galah

State of Origin Rep
Mar 28, 2019
I’m no fan of this, sos is our only actual half and apart from his kicking being off on Friday night he actually played like a half....neither turps or Darius are very good at it, very harsh and a pretty soft call by the coach to be honest.
If it were me (this won’t be popular) I’d shuffle Boyd out to center put Glenn on the bench and have turps beside fafita he only shuffles the ball on anyway and who else better to just shuffle it onto...
Bench of seggy, offa, Glenn, flegler. That’s a very impressive bench!

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
Macca has been OK of late, which pains me to say considering how shit he was for most of the season. I'd still be dropping him for Turpin, but I can accept Seibold's thought process given Macca's seniority.

I think we looked our best this year, in terms of the hooker half combo, with Dearden at 7 and Turpin at 9. It's a pity we never got to see them play in those positions for long and with Fifi and TPJ as the established 80 minute edges, but that's what I'd run with next year. I'd love SOS to play 6 in 2020, but we all know it's going to be Boyd or Bird.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
WTF has Carrigan have to do with playing in the backs.
The point is - half can play hooker, hooker can play half?
Brisbane's best halfback prospect, Tanah Boyd was playing for Titans at hooker just last weekend against the Knights

You made a point about genuine footballers playing anywhere ( and Pat is one of many in the game ) and its not true,

And your point is still flawed. Just because a half can play hooker , it doesnt mean he should player hooker, and the same the other way round. Some can and do a good job of both. Others cant. We have 3 hookers and not one of them can play at 7 better than O'Sullivan. The coach should stop being so weak and drop at least one of them instead of trying to shoehorn them into the team. Turpin is a hooker, and his best games have been at hooker.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Andrew Johns (rep halfback/hooker), Geoff Toovey (rep halfback/hooker)...connect the dots, smart fellow.

Two guys from decades ago. Come back to 2019 champ. Bit grumpy tonight?

Pub Steak

Pub Steak

QCup Player
Feb 24, 2018
SOS should definitely stay in the 7 and turps should definitely be in the team. Either at 6 or 9. If at 6 then Boyd to centre and Glenn to bench. SOS brought so much more structure to our attack and defence. But for the right edge, maybe it was SOS but more likely it was Gillett. I guess we will see this weekend.

PNG Broncos fan88

PNG Broncos fan88

NRL Player
Aug 27, 2018
Two guys from decades ago. Come back to 2019 champ. Bit grumpy tonight?
Referencing Dave Taylor was ignorant on your part.
How bout Shaun Berrigan, 2006 Clive Churchill winner. Turpin may just be this eras Berrigan.
[automerge]1567501837[/automerge]
...The coach should stop being so weak and drop at least one of them...

Amen, discussion settled.

Last edited:
Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Referencing Dave Taylor was ignorant on your part.
How bout Shaun Berrigan, 2006 Clive Churchill winner. Turpin may just be this eras Berrigan.

I'll bet he wont be.

In regards to Seibold playing Turpin out of position, i'll paraphrase the great Doctor Ian Malcom

" The coach is so preoccupied with whether or not he could that he didnt stop to think if he should "

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
I'll give Seibold this week, but if the experiment fails again I'd expect him to change.

Conspiracy time: Maybe he's tanking, losing the game on purpose so we get Manly and not the Eels at bankwest.

Pub Steak

Pub Steak

QCup Player
Feb 24, 2018
I'll give Seibold this week, but if the experiment fails again I'd expect him to change.

Conspiracy time: Maybe he's tanking, losing the game on purpose so we get Manly and not the Eels at bankwest.
Even without t turbo we are a better chance against Parra. Although... Bankwest.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
We will still win. Even the Cowboys beat the Doggies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Old Mate
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.