Round 25 - Sea Eagles vs Broncos - Build Up Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bet your bottom dollar that if we do turn up, we're in this premiership up to our eyeballs. Whether we'll have enough points to scrape through is another matter entirely...

This.

No team has that real invincible aura about them this season - not even the Bulldogs IMO. The premiership is there for the taking this season, which is why it makes all our losses and poor form so hard for me to accept.

I reckon Baptiste will make it 3 prize juniors the Knights have poached from us.

Unsure exactly what Hook's issue is with Baptiste but I'd imagine he just see's Hunt as the superior talent & Capewell as the form utility of the QRL. I reckon Baptiste would be great in a pocket rocket impact hooker role but there must be some weaknesses there that Hook wants him to work on.

But yeah, I reckon Bennett will get his hands on him just like he got Gagai & Korbin.

I would have had him coming off the bench instead of Hunt all year. I think he's a neat little player.

Gaigai and Korbin were different stories though. Gagai came up when the Knights needed some strike and Korbin was originally from the Hunter before we took him. It's a pretty big move to go down South.

Haha, but we could have used that strike as well! Ahh, won't flog that dead horse again but damn it still bites me.

Korbin is actually from Gerringong where he was a St. George Illawarra junior. I remember when we signed Ashton, a big part of the reason was because of Korbin who had been playing an age group above and smashing it. Tariq was actually the ugly duckling in the sense that he was this skinny winger who seemed to care more about surfing than footy but Hook changed all that. Korbin was cleared out with the other brothers in 2010 for whatever reason.

He joined the Knights pre-Bennett but it's another name you can throw on there, as well as Costigan & Boyd if you want to go back a phase or two of juniors.

I'm going off tangent but you've awakened my interest in our juniors and I think the Broncos biggest challenge in securing these major talents is Peter O'Sullivan. Just look at who he signed at Melbourne & now Sydney. Their SG Ball side is made up of a number of Queensland junior reps. and while some of them return home (David Hala, Antonio Winterstein, Andrew Clayton & now Joseph Ofahengaue, keep an eye on him he was one of Qld's best in the interstate U/18 carnival) most of them go onto become stars down south.

We've still got plenty of talent coming through so it's not like we're a club in crisis but it's certainly playing apart in why we haven't been as dominant these past few years.

Will say, keep an eye on Jayden Berrell over the next few years. Only 17 but Porthoz can tell you how talented this kid is and I expect him to make a similar impact in the 20s that Baptiste & McCullough did.

As for Manly, there's no other club I'd love to break our streak against. It's so fitting that Fatty is one of their most recognisable players because Manly without a doubt act like the stereotypical ranga where everyone is against them and they'll throw a fit over the smallest of inconvenience. Would almost make this season worth it for me.

We rarely win at Brookvale, but oddly I think this is one of our best opportunities.

Will say, keep an eye on Jayden Berrell over the next few years. Only 17 but Porthoz can tell you how talented this kid is and I expect him to make a similar impact in the 20s that Baptiste & McCullough did.

As for Manly, there's no other club I'd love to break our streak against. It's so fitting that Fatty is one of their most recognisable players because Manly without a doubt act like the stereotypical ranga where everyone is against them and they'll throw a fit over the smallest of inconvenience. Would almost make this season worth it for me.
Absolutely. I hope I don't jinx him, but Jayden is going to be a superstar.
He's a grounded kid, and doesn't let anything get to his head easily, and he has tons of talent. Oddly enough, I pegged him more as a halve than a hooker, as his style reminds me of Shaun Johnson. But them again, I haven't seen him play since he was plucked out of the local JRL club by the Broncos...

As for Manly and Fatty. The can both FOAD!

Eagles always beat us, we're finished.

1. Norman
2. Hoffman
3. Reed
4. Hodges
5. Beale
6. Hunt
7. Wallace
8. Hannant
9. McCullough
10. Civoniceva
11. Te'o
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. McGuire
15. Gillett
16. Dodds/Anderson
17. Glenn/ Baptiste

I think Hoffman keeps his spot. It was only his first game on the wing for a long time. His defense should improve. His work out of dummy half was excellent. I'd be happy if Maranta got picked ahead of him though. I don't think Copley will be fit.

I'd like to try swapping Hunt and Wallace.

Feel the same towards the hoffman V Maranta thing.

Glenn over Baptiste obviously ......and I've been impressed with Dodds in defence.

We improved on the Bulldogs ..which was an improvement on the Raiders game. Manly are no worse threat than the Storm or the Bulldogs. If we can tough out the rough patches in these games, when things are against you and the opposition have the roll on, our attack will get us home. Been a long time since I felt we had something to offer with the ball in our hands......glimpses of what we can do with a bit of creativity....and not only in the halves

the forwards short passing amongst themselves is opening some big holes out there as well.

I think we'll win against Manly and slide into the semis with a new found confidence that should stand us well. I only really considered these three teams, Bulldogs, Storm and Manly as the main contenders (to a degree Souths.. but we've played well against them this year) and after close games against two of these three so far and us still reforming and slightly out of sorts / under strength. There's still hope for us .......

Last edited:
If we can get our interchange sorted and get rid of the dumb shit (kicking out on the full) we are on the right track..

..to beat Penrith.

Dropping Glenn to the bench is pretty harsh. If anyone should be dropped, it's Thaiday. Otherwise Glenn should just slot in to his usual spot IMO.

Dropping Glenn to the bench is pretty harsh. If anyone should be dropped, it's Thaiday. Otherwise Glenn should just slot in to his usual spot IMO.

In some ways I agree.

But we can't have a Kurt Gidley thing going on here.......and Teo is proving to be too much of a weapon to start him from the bench.

It's a tough decison.....

Unless your captain plays 80mins you are going to have a Gidley thing going on anyway.

Unless your captain plays 80mins you are going to have a Gidley thing going on anyway.

Well.....not really.

Gidley was starting from the bench

That's embarrassing.

That was in Origin though, and whilst somewhat amusing, it has no actual effect on the game. If having Thaiday come off the bench allows for a better starting team and bench rotation then that's all that matters. Not whether or not he's a captain.

Sorry......not for my team.

Hasn't been said for a while .......... Just win FFS

That was in Origin though, and whilst somewhat amusing, it has no actual effect on the game. If having Thaiday come off the bench allows for a better starting team and bench rotation then that's all that matters. Not whether or not he's a captain.

+1. Parker can start as captain anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Fozz
  • Harry Sack
  • Manofoneway
  • BroncosAlways
  • Jazza
  • Broncosarethebest
  • broncos4life
  • Morkel
  • Manifesto
  • MasterWright
  • Bish
  • Browny
  • Porthoz
  • Fatboy
  • lynx000
  • BruiserMk1
  • Stix
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Johnny92
  • ivanhungryjak
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.