Suncorp Stadium

Thursday
Night
19:50

Storm

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt it has anything to do with considering who we may or may not match up against in the finals, and everything to do with resting players and getting to the finals unscathed.

It's hardly throwing the match on Thursday either. Storm are going to be doing the same thing and we have a lot of first grade experience in our reserves.
I'm not sure how we can know that.

Once you get into the mindset of resting your match-winners to win the comp rather than an individual game, I think every big picture tactic has to be on the table. If Kevvie thinks he has a better chance of knocking over a full strength Warriors than a full strength Storm, take the loss and win yourself a week off later on.

What a weird week of gamesmanship. Are we going to effectively throw this game in the hope the Panthers roll the Cowboys, then the Storm, thus we won't have to face our nemesis again?

Or are we hoping to beat the Storm two weeks running?

Meanwhile the Storm will be without Hughes, and are reportedly (Brent Read) resting Munster, Grant and Meaney.
I'm more comfortable if it becomes reserve grade Broncos vs reserve grade storm... because then it's not really playing storm 2 weeks in a row.

It becomes a 1v1 in finals with both teams basically coming off a bye. I think that suddenly becomes easier for us to get up for one game against storm in the finals and at home... rather than having to get up for them two weeks in a row with everything on the line in both games.

Alternatively if we lose, and Panthers and warriors win, then we get warriors in week 1 of the finals.

I'm all for resting everyone, what I hope we don't see is Walters playing 6. He needs to play 9, he is still developing and needs as much game time as possible there, this is his first full year focusing on the position.

I'd pick;

1. Sailor
2. Oates (C)
3. Arthars
4. Mariner
5. Periera
6. Rogers
7. Madden
8. Willison
9. Walters
10. Jensen
11. Pikura
12. Riki
13. Palasia

14. Smoothy
15. Tapau
16. Bayliss
17. Te Kura - If eligible

18. Mozer

What a weird week of gamesmanship. Are we going to effectively throw this game in the hope the Panthers roll the Cowboys, then the Storm, thus we won't have to face our nemesis again?

Or are we hoping to beat the Storm two weeks running?

Meanwhile the Storm will be without Hughes, and are reportedly (Brent Read) resting Munster, Grant and Meaney.
we probably meet the storm in the grand final qualifier if we finish second unless they beat Penrith.

I honestly think our B squad beats the storms B squad 9 out of 10 games anyway.

I am not sure about that- Wishart, Olam, Faalogo and Nikorima were very strong week one of the finals.

Wishart ran riot, I don't think I have ever seen a hooker make 181m and score two tries in the first 25 minutes of a game. Top it off with 6/7 too.

Reactions: 007
I'm not sure how we can know that.
None of us can know for sure, that's part of why we are here talking about it on a footy forum.

I think that Kevvie has an extremely positive mindset and when he was asked about facing the Storm two weeks in a row he said bring it on, we love the challenge. Seems to go with what 1910 has said about how he approaches things. I don't think Kevvie is all talk and I don't think he is scared of taking on the Storm 2 weeks in a row one bit, especially when 1 of those matches is going to be a bunch of reserves running around. If Kevvie believes in the Storm hoodoo then he's the wrong coach for us.

But say Kevvie is wanting to throw the match. Does he have to instruct the reserves who fill in to not go as hard as the Storm's reserves? Does he pick the worst reserves, or does he just make sure to pick more reserves than the Storm use? Maybe give them lousy tactics. I just can't see Kevvie wanting anything but a win against the Storm on Thursday.

Give the players you need for finals a rest and get the players you might need to call upon ready too.

I'm all for resting everyone, what I hope we don't see is Walters playing 6. He needs to play 9, he is still developing and needs as much game time as possible there, this is his first full year focusing on the position.

I'd pick;

1. Sailor
2. Oates (C)
3. Arthars
4. Mariner
5. Periera
6. Rogers
7. Madden
8. Willison
9. Walters
10. Jensen
11. Pikura
12. Riki
13. Palasia

14. Smoothy
15. Tapau
16. Bayliss
17. Te Kura - If eligible

18. Mozer
The concern I would have with playing Billy is possible HIA which leads to him missing week 1 of the finals.

Billy is now a mainstay in our hooker rotation and if we happen to lose him for week 1 of the finals to then have to rely on Smoothy, Paix (pending suspension) and Mozer... it suddenly becomes a pretty big drop off.

The concern I would have with playing Billy is possible HIA which leads to him missing week 1 of the finals.

Billy is now a mainstay in our hooker rotation and if we happen to lose him for week 1 of the finals to then have to rely on Smoothy, Paix (pending suspension) and Mozer... it suddenly becomes a pretty big drop off.
Losing Billy isn't a big loss. He has exceeded expectations, but let's not pretend he is Cam Smith. Smoothy has looked handy enough, and was the better 9 last week against Raiders. Walters needs to play.

Either we're both going in holding our swords with our left hands, in order to gauge the opposition, or we're happy to roll the dice and accept a loss if it means our stars are healthier for the finals.

None of us can know for sure, that's part of why we are here talking about it on a footy forum.

I think that Kevvie has an extremely positive mindset and when he was asked about facing the Storm two weeks in a row he said bring it on, we love the challenge. Seems to go with what 1910 has said about how he approaches things. I don't think Kevvie is all talk and I don't think he is scared of taking on the Storm 2 weeks in a row one bit, especially when 1 of those matches is going to be a bunch of reserves running around. If Kevvie believes in the Storm hoodoo then he's the wrong coach for us.

But say Kevvie is wanting to throw the match. Does he have to instruct the reserves who fill in to not go as hard as the Storm's reserves? Does he pick the worst reserves, or does he just make sure to pick more reserves than the Storm use? Maybe give them lousy tactics. I just can't see Kevvie wanting anything but a win against the Storm on Thursday.

Give the players you need for finals a rest and get the players you might need to call upon ready too.
We do know we can't take Kevvie at face value: last I heard he wasn't going to rest any players. And now here we are. As for "throwing" the game, well I wouldn't LITERALLY accuse of him that, because that's code for at least bad sportsmanship if not outright match fixing. But tactically fielding a side that's not favourable to winning; that's not requiring the players to "throw" the match: it's just setting them up for a fall.

So my uninformed take is he's fielding a side that might be set up for the fall, which might favour us in the long term, but it would be completely transparent and therefore not liable to accusations of rigging.

In other words: fair game.

I just can't see Kevvie wanting anything but a win against the Storm on Thursday.

I think this is the case. I can't see Kev wanting anything but a win, but at the same time he knows it's integral to keep our stars fit for the finals so he'll sit them. But I bet every player that runs out on Thursday night will have directives from Kev to leave nothing on the field.

I agree, and thought Billy should've been rested a couple of weeks ago to get our ducks lined up for the final. But in retrospect he's actually grown in stature in the last few weeks so his old man probably knows what he's doing.

Has to be captain this week.

Losing Billy isn't a big loss. He has exceeded expectations, but let's not pretend he is Cam Smith. Smoothy has looked handy enough, and was the better 9 last week against Raiders. Walters needs to play.
Billy probably would be a big loss, actually. He's played every game this season, and all but a couple last year. So regardless of earlier conversations about his skill, he understands his old man's gameplan and we could need his leadership. Mozer might have the smarts but he doesn't have the roadmap.

I do agree about Smoothy. Lockyer commented on him being a "smart" player. I think that's the nail on the head with him.

I agree, and thought Billy should've been rested a couple of weeks ago to get our ducks lined up for the final. But in retrospect he's actually grown in stature in the last few weeks so his old man probably knows what he's doing.

Has to be captain this week.

Billy probably would be a big loss, actually. He's played every game this season, and all but a couple last year. So regardless of earlier conversations about his skill, he understands his old man's gameplan and we could need his leadership. Mozer might have the smarts but he doesn't have the roadmap.

I do agree about Smoothy. Lockyer commented on him being a "smart" player. I think that's the nail on the head with him.
Paix would come to 14, who has done a job there. We have cover for Billy. I'd prefer he didn't get injured, but let's not pretend it's a loss that can't be covered pretty easily.

Paix would come to 14, who has done a job there. We have cover for Billy. I'd prefer he didn't get injured, but let's not pretend it's a loss that can't be covered pretty easily.
As a hooker, yes, piss easy. I don't rate him any higher than Smoothy or Paix.

But he's been feeding the plays all season, which got us to where we are, so I wouldn't underestimate his familiarity with his old man's structures. Particularly in the absence of one of the halves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• levikaden
  • TimWhatley
  • Skathen
  • ChewThePhatt
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Canga
  • Johnny92
  • Foordy
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • cento
  • Locky24
  • broncsgoat
  • Skyblues87
  • Dash
  • ivanhungryjak
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.