Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

T

Thelmus

NRL Player
Apr 19, 2016
I actually feel sorry for him. That is one bog average squad with a 3/4 like cotric that is completely wasted.
Cotric didn't help himself mind you but he is still a weapon. Surely if you got a bloke like him up against a rookie like niu, you work them into a one-on-one, but their back line moves were so pedestrian.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
In hindsight it's probably no surprise the first half was boring (as far as I could tell, I was listening on the radio). Didn't Our Man Carrigan drop the ball in the first couple of minutes? My guess is that they all felt their ballsacks shrivelling and decided not to take ANY risks with the ball, just boring high-percentage football. The question is whether it helped us, by way of creating superior possession stats and wearing our opposition down (hence the flurry at the end), or whether it was decided that we needed more ball movement to score points and we abandoned No Risk Football at the end. Any opinions of whether the style of play changed before the points, or whether it was just a case of eventually wearing them down?

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
In hindsight it's probably no surprise the first half was boring (as far as I could tell, I was listening on the radio). Didn't Our Man Carrigan drop the ball in the first couple of minutes? My guess is that they all felt their ballsacks shrivelling and decided not to take ANY risks with the ball, just boring high-percentage football. The question is whether it helped us, by way of creating superior possession stats and wearing our opposition down (hence the flurry at the end), or whether it was decided that we needed more ball movement to score points and we abandoned No Risk Football at the end. Any opinions of whether the style of play changed before the points, or whether it was just a case of eventually wearing them down?
We got like 5 6 agains and 2-3 penalties in the first half....from memory. Someone will probably call me out on those stats.

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
It wasn’t so much as no risk in the 1st half, more a case of no skill

ZTop

ZTop

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Feb 28, 2016
As soon as we got some points we got our confidence back and we just ran over the top of them. It was literally just a matter of scoring and getting confidence

Scorchie

Scorchie

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 16, 2008
The worst part is the experts of the social media team running the NRL App are obviously on auto pilot and marked us down with three L for the season - lol

Attachments

• D31EDEDD-DB09-41B0-A98E-D7794539F05E.png
    D31EDEDD-DB09-41B0-A98E-D7794539F05E.png
    46.5 KB · Views: 88
T

Thelmus

NRL Player
Apr 19, 2016
There's nothing wrong with playing the percentages so long as you are doing it to a purpose. With the bulldogs slow play you would be confident with a rushing defence might draw a mistake or two deep in their half.
Unfortunately we were a bit stand-offish with our defensive lines so it ended up a stalemate.
That won't work against the storm with their big forwards, and clinical play. We need to get them out of their comfort zone.
Early kicks to begin with and pressure their kickers. Then about the 30 minute mark start playing footy some back line moves early in the sets.
If we're up of course from a few mistakes, keep playing territory and possession. Otherwise hold the ball and slow the game down in defense, and be patient.
We should be prepared to give 6 again in our own half away if we're behind and out of energy. Against the teams like the storm refilling the tank when it's empty is a huge part of the game if you get behind, but territory is the key.
They always look good coming out of their own half because they like to grind their opponents down and usually take advantage of slow kick chases.
Their back 3/4 players aren't that big though. Paps is dangerous on a broken line but early in the match that shouldnt be the case. Early kicks with good chases, then longer sets out of our own half.
One more thng: kick to coates, and be prepared to cover a knock back/storm possession. Id even say vary it a bit with a bomb near the posts and have him attacking it on a set move.
In defence back ourselves and make them go wide. They look off at the moment and we might just frustrate a win.
Let them throw it deep in their own half if they want to.
In short we need to work hard at making them play their best, with a strong rushing defence, deep kicks to keep turning their big forwards around, and only playing wide at the end of halves or after consequtives sets.

Stix

Stix

NRL Player
Mar 28, 2014
Well that was ugly as **** but an ugly win to get some confidence back is sometimes a turning point. Next few weeks will be tough, and I don’t really expect a win but I really hope we just watched a the beginning of the resurrection. Well done boys.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Well, I'm stoked just as you all are.
Bonus was getting a fat payout too.
I stuck solid with Croft and Isaako and Isaako started to show he can be a weapon. I was disappointed with Crofts pass but would say I've seen that same pass a thousand times before and from some of the all time greats. Had it been held nobody would have said a word. In fact Milford did the exact same thing but the pass was held so it went unnoticed.

Nevertheless it was great to win again and a just reward for effort. I won't be joining in the chorus to bring in Dearden for Croft and hope the same team( or close to it, Haas?) plays next week. Please KW, don't drop Kennedy. T'eo needs a rest.

T

Thelmus

NRL Player
Apr 19, 2016
They will all get some confidence out of that win, croft included.
I'm not saying the boys will grow an extra leg and beat the storm but it will help Walters drive home his direction having them feel some success from it.
Now is the time for Walters to start building on whatever messages he has for them because if they won't listen after this, they never will. That will mean a much darker conversation.

Active Now

• KickHaas
  • The Boss
  • Jedhead
  • winslow_wong
  • Lostboy
  • Tim K
  • Culhwch
  • FACTHUNT
  • Skathen
  • Aldo
  • RolledOates
  • Manofoneway
  • Redux
  • Harry Sack
  • Organix
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.