Mead - 20 runs for 208 metres
Farnworth - 18 runs for 269 metres
Niu - 15 runs for 117 metres
Coates - 16 runs for 229 metres
Milford - 13 runs for 101 metres
Glenn - 15 runs for 147 metres
Pangai Jr - 16 runs for 152 metres
Carrigan - 15 runs for 164 metres

This is what happens when you run with purpose.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
It was hard to watch at times but even the first half was pleasing in so much as they held their line under pressure for a number of repeat sets. It might only have been the dogs but it was still a big positive for this young side.

With Lodge and Haas coming back I’d rest Carrigan for the Penrith game as we’ll need his energy and he does badly need a spell to freshen him up. Mead was again impressive as was Herbie, Issako and TPJ. Kennedy pulled off two bell ringers tonight and I’d be keeping him in the side and resting young Bullemor as he looked a bit flat tonight as well.

Hope Kevvie speaks to Coates about the show boating while running in a try as he could so easily have been caught or had the ball jolted from his grasp. Instead he should have been thinking about getting nearer to the posts to make our conversion easier.

The biggest bonus may be no injuries so that hoodoo may have been passed on to some other poor suckers.

Last edited:
NSW stables

NSW stables

NRL Player
May 3, 2019
Riki's defensive reads concern me. He sticks on the inside player too long and doesnt release and then slide and aim up on the oppositions half. This means that the half next to him (milf last week, croft this week) also has to stay in and mark bothe the half and 2nd rower (this is what resulted in the bulldogs line break).

The bulldogs couldnt take advantage, but Munster will exploit it if we cant correct it.

NSW stables

NSW stables

NRL Player
May 3, 2019
Isaako - 18 runs for 202 metres
Mead - 20 runs for 208 metres
Farnworth - 18 runs for 269 metres
Niu - 15 runs for 117 metres
Coates - 16 runs for 229 metres
Milford - 13 runs for 101 metres
Glenn - 15 runs for 147 metres
Pangai Jr - 16 runs for 152 metres
Carrigan - 15 runs for 164 metres

This is what happens when you run with purpose.
And when you run against a team with similar line speed to our own.

heartly87

heartly87

NRL Player
May 10, 2014
So happy

At least the media will leave us alone for a week!!
No they will just be back to talking about how Herbie has a thousand teams swarming and Coates is already on Melbournes books they are that confident. You know the drill.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
It was hard to watch at times but even the first half was pleasing in so much as they held their line under pressure for a number of repeat sets. It might only have been the dogs but it was still a big positive for this young side.

With Lodge and Haas coming back I’d rest Carrigan for the Penrith game as we’ll need his energy and he does badly need a spell to freshen him up. Mead was again impressive as was Herbie, Issako and TPJ. Kennedy pulled off two bell ringers tonight and I’d be keeping him in the side and resting young Bullemor as he looked a bit flat tonight as well.

Hope Kevvie speaks to Coates about the show boating while running in a try as he could so easily have been caught or had the ball jolted from his grasp. Instead he should have been thinking about getting nearer to the posts to make our conversion easier.

The biggest bonus may be no injuries so that hoodoo may have been passed on to some other poor suckers.
Yes, totally agree about the bullshit BEFORE you plant the ball. Even with Isaako's try to open the game up I was yelling, two hands you fuckwit, two hands, place the ball, smile and carry on after but finish the task first. WB hated it and so does this old man. I hope KW pulls both of them into gear and that's the last time we see Mundineism's.

ZTop

ZTop

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Feb 28, 2016
Yes, totally agree about the bullshit BEFORE you plant the ball. Even with Isaako's try to open the game up I was yelling, two hands you fuckwit, two hands, place the ball, smile and carry on after but finish the task first. WB hated it and so does this old man. I hope KW pulls both of them into gear and that's the last time we see Mundineism's.
To be fair Coates addressed his in his post game interview, said he's trying to cut that out of his game but he got too excited. He didn't seem to pleased that he did it

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
To be fair Coates addressed his in his post game interview, said he's trying to cut that out of his game but he got too excited. He didn't seem to pleased that he did it
Oh, excellent. Good news. I didn't see any of that, too busy dping train stuff. Glad to hear it. Hopefully Isaako takes note too. Very casual stuff in his first try and I hate the one handed handroll, over the top put down. Seen so so many fucked up. Had it slipped from his grasp we may not have kicked on.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013

It was a really good post-game interview. He spoke very clearly about not getting carried away with try celebrations or the win and they are focused on giving Melbourne a run for their money, you could tell.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014

035e491ad36425a5f6b9295ec3d5f0ca

Zero heroes: Broncos shut out Bulldogs to snap losing streak​

Todd Balym
Saturday 27th March, 2021

The drought is broken. Brisbane’s club record losing streak is over and Kevin Walters has his first win as coach after the Broncos outlasted Canterbury 24-0 at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday.

It wasn’t pretty, but it was a victory that will mean the world to the Broncos who hadn’t tasted victory for 259 days, since they last beat Canterbury 26-8 at the same ground in 2020.

It took almost an hour for the first try of the game, but it was a beauty as maligned five-eighth Anthony Milford put fullback Jamayne Isaako into space to sprint 40m and score virtually untouched after some fancy footwork deceived fullback Corey Allan.

Isaako proved the difference with his speed setting up Xavier Coates for Brisbane’s second try in the 67th minute as the emotion of a 13-game losing streak breaking started to release from the celebrating Broncos players and 22,509 fans.

Coates rammed home the victory with a try from the kick-off after a penalty goal in the 73rd minute while late super-sub Tom Dearden added the icing by scoring off Herbie Farnworth’s kick in the 78th minute as Brisbane completed the four-tries-to-none win.

“When you play for the Broncos there is always pressure to win and there’s been a long drought between the wins and the players felt that naturally,” Walters said.

“I’m just really happy for everyone involved, particularly the players. It’s been a long time for them.”

In further good news for the Broncos, Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett revealed after the game young gun Brendan Piakura had rejected an offer to join Canterbury and would instead re-sign with Brisbane.

The late flurry of points negated what was an otherwise dull game. If either team reproduces this performance next week against Melbourne (Brisbane) or South Sydney (Canterbury) they will be massacred.

The first hour was at best pedestrian and at times laborious. Mistakes were comical and neither side really produced much attack to trouble the opposition.

For a Broncos side that conceded an NRL-leading 624 points last year, the defensive shutout was a step in the right direction and the first time Brisbane has held a team scoreless since they beat the Titans 34-0 on July 8, 2018.

“I said from the start defence was our focus from last November, to hold any team to nil is a great result and that’s probably more pleasing than anything tonight - the zero on the scoreboard,” Walters said.

Among the highlights for the Broncos was the effort of centre Farnworth who was the standout across the 80 minutes, leading the way with 252m, six tackle breaks and three line breaks.

“He was great, really good,” Walters said.

“It was good to see him play the football we know he’s capable of playing.

“The bar is high with Herbie, he is a good talent and a good young kid.”

Despite the victory, Walters admitted he will need to find a way to inject Dearden into the game more after the young halfback played just the last seven minutes.

Dearden, however, showed the zip and spark that has been lacking from No.7 Brodie Croft and while Walters said his starting duo “got the job done” there’s no guarantee they’ll be the starting pair next week against the Storm.

“Tommy needs to play some footy. I was trying to get him on before half-time but with the scoreline I didn’t want to put too much pressure on him,” he said.

“I’m happy for him to pick up a try.

“He could (be starting halfback next week) at this stage I won’t make any judgements on team selection for next week.”

With a COVID community transmission case plunging Brisbane into chaos just 24 hours prior to kick off, the Broncos players and team staff were all tested after the victory and placed into a “bubble” arrangement as the club awaits direction on how to operate this week ahead of the trip to Melbourne.

“That will be sorted in the next 24 hours, I’m not sure what restrictions will be put on travel or anything like that. We’ve been told to isolate at home until we get more news through,” Walters said.

“All players and staff were COVID tested tonight, it’s getting a little bit serious.”

NRL.com

Dash

Dash

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Dec 12, 2014
It was a really good post-game interview. He spoke very clearly about not getting carried away with try celebrations or the win and they are focused on giving Melbourne a run for their money, you could tell.
I love watching Coates being interviewed post game. You can tell he just absolutely loves playing footy and is having the time of his life.

heartly87

heartly87

NRL Player
May 10, 2014
That was a good win in an unattractive game. The boys down on confidence played a fairly boring brand of footy in the first half, the main takeaway from it was good defense. Late in the second, the boys found some confidence and leapt into gear. Isaako really needs to be running that hard every time he is on the ball. He has the power and footwork to be very explosive, he just needs to believe in himself more.

I think our halfs were poor to average but I wouldn't drop them yet. From what I am reading into from the presser is Dearden is being cooked in ISC, away from the spotlight and just getting his game together, Kev thinks he is the future and I think he will be. But throwing him in now will not make him a better player or the type of player we need him to be. Winning games is what he needs to be doing on the regular not busting his hump. I trust Kev here in regards to developing a playmaker.

Herbie and Mead were fantastic, love the tempo they bring to the team and they really dominated their opposing players. Kennedy was good also as he was last week and could be fining his way onto the bench for me.

There is a team to work with here and with players coming back from injury/suspension in the next few weeks, we could keep improving form here. Kev seems to have his finger on the pulse, getting down the sideline was a good sign tonight. He felt it was important to show his support by being with the team, sharing in whatever was to be. If its true we have not lost Piakura, then Kev is doing his job and young Ricki was a great signing because he called out all the others to be loyal and build something here, hopefully more will see the light.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Trent Barrett is the new Nathan brown except even worse. Surely he doesn’t see out his contract if the dogs get the spoon.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Well this will be more enjoyable than it looked at half time:

1. Isaako - He was so pedestrian and even struggling as we've come to expect and then out of nowhere, he exploded. Like, I don't know what happened but a switch was flicked and he became an elite fullback from nowhere. It was for about 35 minutes though, so not going to go over the top just based on that but he knows what he needs to do now. Do that week in, week out for 80 and we may just have stumbled on to something - 7
2. Coates - Man this kid is just a pure excitement machine. He just knows how to find the try line and is becoming more and more dependable all the time. I loved his post-match press conference and his Joker-esque mouth at full-time. He seems to love playing for the club, I reckon we will keep him - 8
3. Farnworth - This kid is Manu 2.0, he will be a gun whatever position he plays in. He was the best player all night and gave Hopoate nightmares. He is an absolute weapon and if Isaako can't back up what he did in the second half again, Herbie has to be fullback in waiting, he is just so talented - 9
4. Niu - This kid is electric and seems to be getting better and better all the time. He has all the tools to be a gun centre as he is fast, he is elusive and he has an excellent in and away. He has time on his side and his defense seems to be improving all the time which is really pleasing, though the Bulldogs didn't throw much at our defense tonight - 6
5. Mead - Wow, what an opening three rounds he has put together. He is proving to be one of the buys of the season the way he is quietly going about his business. Was as safe as I've ever seen on the wing and along with Herbie, terrorised the Dogs' right side defense every single time they touched the ball, every single time. A great game shaded just by Herbie - 8
6. Milford - He has been rightly or wrongly bagged from pillar to post but there were signs of life there tonight. It was by no means perfect and in fact, was very clunky but he seemed to get better the further the game went and wow, he might have figured out how big a weapon his torpedoes are, more of that Milf, more of it! - 7
7. Croft - I didn't think he was as bad as he is usually made out to be. The problem is that he was bought in to be an organising halfback and it is proving to not be his go. I love his effort and just wish he had Milf's ability to go with it. Unfortunately he doesn't but he never stops trying, he never shirks his responsibility and is improving defensively - 6
8. Pangai Jr - He wasn't as good as his second stint last week and looked out on his feet literally 3 minutes into the game. He came on strong like everyone in the back end but I don't know, I feel like there is more for him to give yet, maybe we just have unrealistic expectations. I'd start him at lock next week with Haas back - 6
9. Turpin - His first half, like everyone else's, seemed pretty poor. He got better the further he went in attack but as always, very dependable in defense. He looks to be starting to work out how to work with his halves ever so slightly - 6
10. Flegler - I thought he was excellent tonight in both stints. In fact, I felt his second stint was game turning. I'd continue starting with him for a week or two. He isn't perfect but he really got our side on a roll once he came back on. A quality game that won't get the plaudits I think it should - 8
11. Glenn - He is proving to be as solid as ever out on that edge. He seems to have found a bit of a spark the last couple of weeks which is good. He isn't a captain but he is trying his best. A decent game from a decent player - 7
12. Riki - So glad he has re-signed with us and bearing in mind what he is producing despite being as green as any player in the comp, the future for this kid is huge. I think he is a potential future captain and man we need leadership. He, like many others, have some defensive lapses at times but I am more than willing to cut him some slack because he is something very, very special - 6
13. Carrigan - He was his usual self and was used far, far better by Kevvie tonight. He always bends the line every run and is dependable in defense. It is amazing how much better he looks not being out on his feet and getting caught in the ruck when he actually has the chance to rest - 7

18. Dearden - A short but very, very memorable stint from the halfback in waiting. I still wouldn't start him and depending on the Covid situation, would consider putting him back in ISC next week. If ISC isn't going ahead for our boys, then definitely keep him on the bench. He provided a lot of spark for us tonight - 6 (due to such a short time on field)
15. Kennedy - He was good, very good even and he always is, a very dependable player. He hit hard, he ran hard and he plugged holes in defense, doing his job very well. He is providing a bit of a selection headache moving forward which is wonderful to see. He does not deserve to make way for returning players, though I suspect he might find himself still in the 17 next week. A really good game - 8
16. Bullemor - Injected much earlier by Kevvie than usual which was a good call. Unfortunately, he looked quite off the pace which is a shame. With a lot of cavalry in the forwards returning next week most likely, not a good time to have a poorer quality game - 4
17. Teo - He may well end up squeezed out with some of the players returning but I'm not sure he should. I have been very impressed with him so far this season, has looked still up to first grade standard and then some compared to 2020. He is doing a lot of the tough runs, is hitting well in defense and most importantly, is cleaning up around the ruck really, really nicely which I honestly think will be missed if he is omitted - 7

Cummins - Get a Covid test mate, that was horrific to listen to all game

Kevvie - Far better use of the bench, well done coach and you are now the most successful coach since Alex Glenn! And a huge congrats on apparently landing Piakura!

Active Now

• Mightybroncs2k17
  • Morkel
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Santa
  • Alec
  • Sproj
  • Aldo
  • Midean
  • marw
  • Howie
  • Fozz
  • broncos4life
  • Justwin
  • Behind enemy lines
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.