vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bennett was also quoted as saying he wants the backline to stand deeper and run onto the ball instead of the flat attacking line we now present.

Seems he' still trying to de-program the guys from Hooks teachings.

basically goes hand in hand with what he said in presser after the first match, that he's still trying to get them out of old habits.

kevvy joked about how boring our performance was against sharks on nrl360 last night, said he 'had to wake wayne up in the box'. hopefully we see some more 'footy' this week.

The flat attack goes hand in hand with the bulking program the flatter you stand the less you have to run and the less calories burned. synergy.

The flat attack goes hand in hand with the bulking program the flatter you stand the less you have to run and the less calories burned. synergy.

Flatter= Fatter

basically goes hand in hand with what he said in presser after the first match, that he's still trying to get them out of old habits.

kevvy joked about how boring our performance was against sharks on nrl360 last night, said he 'had to wake wayne up in the box'. hopefully we see some more 'footy' this week.

To which Paul Kent added, "How could you tell if he was asleep"

I thought Barba's comments about the weight gaining program were interesting. Was a good interview.

Every time I see our flat attacking line (which is almost always), I want to punch a wall.

Me too. I remember when they explained the theory behind it. Like they were playing flat so the defence had no time to put numbers on anyone and they'd back their strength & skill 1-on-1 to get past their opposite. It suited Glenn because he has pretty good footwork and is very mobile & quick on his feet, in fact that might have even been the year he was our leading tryscorer. Also because Lockyer was a fantastic clutch player, who knew which option to take every time, and we kind of took it for granted. So when the tactic was applied post-Lockyer, our halves just weren't suited to that pressured passing at the line. Norman just hogged the ball & Wallace was too predictable. And that was the end of Glenn being useful.

That is funny, except I thought it was kevvy who was responsible for our tactics and strategy... everywhere I read, Wayne seems uninterested in anything but the basics of football and getting the best out of individuals.

So as I asked once before, who is responsible for our (boring) game plan?

Blaming old habits is a bit rich for mine. It doesn't take much IQ to know the consequences of standing deep and running onto the ball as opposed to standing flat and going from side to side.

Don;t our players and coaching staff watch other games which aren't boring?

Last edited:
Garbutt 19 hit ups, 183m, 1 line break, 19 tackles and 0 missed, 1 try,
Wadell 6 hit ups, 68m, 22 tackles, one missed.
Boyce 14 hit ups, 132m, 1 off load, 1 line break, 17 tackles and 3 misses.

Anderson 18 hit ups, 139m, 2 tackles, 3 misses.
Vidot 15 hit ups, 157m, 1 offload, 13 tackles and 2 misses.
Parcell 16 hit ups, 152m, 1 offload, 1 line break, 31 tackles and 2 misses.
Griffin 20 hit ups, 196m, 2 offloads, 1 line break, 1 try assist, 21 tackles, 2 misses.

Eden 5 hit ups, 33m, 5 tackles and 1 miss, 1 try.

Molo 13 hit ups, 144m, 22 tackles and 0 misses.

Adams 6 hit ups, 72m, 23 tackles and 0 misses
Opacic 15 hit ups, 141m, 4 tackles made, 3 misses.
Whitchurch 11 hit ups, 112m, 9 tackles, 3 misses, one try.

The NRL can be a funny competition. At times, you never quite know whether you can accept what you're seeing on face value and sometimes all it takes is a quality start or a ripper of a try to get things going.

Just ask South Sydney.

A lot was said about the start of the 2014 season and how unpredictible it was. South Sydney for instance were getting comfortably beaten by sides like Wests & Canberra until they went to Suncorp Stadium on ANZAC day and produced an amazing start that ultimately got their season back on track.

As a Broncos fan, that's the moment I'm waiting for. Where all the pieces come together, make a whole and the fans can get a good idea of where the team is actually at.

And I believe that's what we're in for on Friday.

I'm not sure about you guys but I see a lot of parallels between 2015 and 2006 where the Broncos began the season poorly but recovered somewhat against Cronulla in a scratchy performance.

I'm hoping to see the boys produce a similar performance as the one the 06 side produced against Parra.

Not 100% spot on but far more assertive and promising than what proceeded it.

The problem with the Broncos is that they come up with a team that just has to win. I can't remember the last time a premiership team started so poorly and if the Cowboys do go onto win the premiership, I can't see it with a 0-3 start - the recovery will just take too much out of them.

Really when you look at both teams, it's the Cowboys game to win. When you have the likes of Johnathan Thurston, Mat Scott & Jason Taumalolo you're always a good chance but they've got to change a few things about their style. I think Green has recognised that and without going for wholesale changes, he's chosen to make a significant change by replacing Lui with Morgan and bringing in Coote to take on the fullback duties. I'm really looking forward to Coote's debut game for the Cowboys and the opportunity to see what he offers the club.

As I said earlier, it amazes me that it's taken so long, it feels like a long time in the making but it could be the most important change Green makes all year. Not only because it gives the Cowboys another point of attack but because it allows Morgan to switch to five eighth.

It's really now or never for Michael Morgan as a playmaker. At fullback he proved to be a handy replacement but I don't think he was ever going to offer anything more. Really his future was always in the halves and he's got to show that he's a better player than Lui who just had too many mistakes in his game and turned the ball over far too cheaply for a side that relies so heavily on building pressure to score points. I don't think Morgan necessarily has to provide good last tackle options, but he does have to take the ball to the line and ask more questions of the defence and help the Cowboys mix things up. At the moment, there just isn't enough variety to their play, they're utterly predictible. If Morgan asks questions of the defence I believe it will go a long way if the Cowboys happen to win tonight.

As time ticks away, I believe we're in for a close see-sawing contest that won't be particularly high on quality but will feature plenty of tense moments and a few key plays that ultimately prove the difference. Tipping is an absolute lottery this week and as a result I'm going to back my team. Broncos to hold on by 4 points.

Ah. Thanks for reminding me to tip.

Good luck Broncos. Hopefully we have something to cheer about tonight. (Win or lose - at least make it more exciting than last week).

Ah. Thanks for reminding me to tip.

Good luck Broncos. Hopefully we have something to cheer about tonight. (Win or lose - at least make it more exciting than last week).

I agree. Another boring, error filled Whitchurch-fest like Round 1 v Souths and I'll be pissed off.

Hopefully some good open footy from both sides and us landing on the right side of the ledger.

The Qld derby is after all the "proper" season opener.

Garbutt 19 hit ups, 183m, 1 line break, 19 tackles and 0 missed, 1 try,
Wadell 6 hit ups, 68m, 22 tackles, one missed.
Boyce 14 hit ups, 132m, 1 off load, 1 line break, 17 tackles and 3 misses.

Anderson 18 hit ups, 139m, 2 tackles, 3 misses.
Vidot 15 hit ups, 157m, 1 offload, 13 tackles and 2 misses.
Parcell 16 hit ups, 152m, 1 offload, 1 line break, 31 tackles and 2 misses.
Griffin 20 hit ups, 196m, 2 offloads, 1 line break, 1 try assist, 21 tackles, 2 misses.

Eden 5 hit ups, 33m, 5 tackles and 1 miss, 1 try.

Molo 13 hit ups, 144m, 22 tackles and 0 misses.

Adams 6 hit ups, 72m, 23 tackles and 0 misses
Opacic 15 hit ups, 141m, 4 tackles made, 3 misses.
Whitchurch 11 hit ups, 112m, 9 tackles, 3 misses, one try.

great at to see Molo back and 11ish metres a run is pretty impressive!

I always tip the Broncos. Now, I'm off to borrow some money.

Broncos by 2

Apart from the obvious 2 points, there are a few things I really want to see happen tonight. The first is a quick defensive line. None of this sliding defence where we let them run for 10m before we attempt a tackle. Kahu to pick up were he left off from last game, very promising stuff from him. And Maranta to pin the ears back and have a crack at going on the outside of his man, he's had the opportunity to do it every game and he always goes to step back inside, JUST HAVE A GO FFS.

Anyone else have any requests for this game?

Apart from the obvious 2 points, there are a few things I really want to see happen tonight. The first is a quick defensive line. None of this sliding defence where we let them run for 10m before we attempt a tackle. Kahu to pick up were he left off from last game, very promising stuff from him. And Maranta to pin the ears back and have a crack at going on the outside of his man, he's had the opportunity to do it every game and he always goes to step back inside, JUST HAVE A GO FFS.

Anyone else have any requests for this game?

I think you have summed it up pretty well. Completely agree with Maranta, I would much rather him go into touch because he was backing himself than do this cut back in shit which either loses momentum or gives away a penalty.

Would love to see Milford break the shackles tonight TBH

Flat attack isn't always negative, Anderson really started it at the Storm and the Storm still do it with Smith. It's about forwards and momentum with quick play the balls.

Problem is if you don't get the quick play the balls or the momentum you just end up getting guys killed- it's like hitting the front man all the time and the defence is on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Culhwch
  • Fozz
  • Battler
  • Foordy
  • Big Del
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Allo
  • Browny
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Santa
  • bb_gun
  • winslow_wong
  • Bucking Beads
  • Skathen
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.