PRE-GAME Round 3 - Broncos vs Eels

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Doubtful Seibold or anyone at the Broncos will even blink at that.

I tend to agree. I hope there has been some planning gone in with mecca's release as I think bare minimum we need a back up utility on the bench, and probably someone who can fill the role full time.
That might mean using dearden, but hopefully paix is fit and is in training. I think he can cover more roles and that kind of versatility will be vital.
I hope players that are versatile are kept around the 17, as we'll probably need all of them for this season.

You're allowed 32 players and 18 staff in your 'bubble'. The two development players are Niu and Bullemor.

Last edited:
Who's gonna come on for turps?

Herbie's speed and running would be a asset and I think he's the most complete footballer at the moment- very adaptable. But his passing would be doubtful.

I have watched Paix twice this year- a trial and round one and he has improved dramatically. His decision making was better because he was starting and not having to adjust to the game- which was my big criticism of him last year and his tackling was great in both games. His stamina has improved too- he got through 60 minutes before Hazard came on and then came back again at the end.

Paix would be the safest option- I would be 100% more confident he could do 20 minutes at hooker than I was 12 months ago.

I'd even go both with two forwards on the bench.

I suspect we'll see two Middle Forwards, Paix as the Utility and then either Herbie or Ben Te'o as the final Bench spot. We have so many minutes in all five of our Middle Forwards that carrying just two on the Bench will not be an issue carrying that workload. Glenn can get through 80 in a canter and Hopoate could manage it too, but Te'o would be useful in spelling Hoppa if necessary and could also cover a backline spot in the event of injury. Herbie would fill that same role if he was picked too.

So the side would look like:

1. Isaako
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Boyd
5. Arthars
6. Milford
7. Croft
8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Glenn
12. Hopoate
13. Carrigan

14. Paix
15. Flegler
16. Ofahengaue
17. Herbie/Te'o

Last edited:
It also begs the question, with Fifita and TPJ back in a few weeks time, if we're at full strength we'll have to either drop the Outside Back from our Bench (Seibold loves his spare Outside Back) or a seriously good middle Forward is going to miss out on the 17.

Last edited:
It also begs the question, with Fifita and TPJ back in a few weeks time, if we're at full strength we'll have to either drop the Outside Back from our Bench (Seibold loves his spare Outside Back) or a seriously good middle Forward is going to miss out on the 17.
It's an interesting question as to how the bench gets made up at full strength... potentially Flegs or Offa drop out as part of keeping the middles fresh.

I'd say TPJ comes onto the bench as part of the middle rotation with an ability to cover 2nd row as well... from the trials I'd say the plan is to get TPJ on in the middle and push him into the second row by taking Glenn off, TPJ would then play out the game.. so he either starts in the middle and plays 80, shifting from middle to edge, or comes off the bench at 20mins into the middle before shifting to the edge later in the game.

If we drop the outside back for TPJ it's likely
Glenn becomes our outside back cover. He could fill in at center with Darius pushing to wing of fullback if an injury did occur. The alternative could be Fifi into the centers with TPJ coming into 2nd row, but that becomes more damaging to our attack by moving Fifi out.

I think Staggs will be our back up in the halves until Turps can pump out big minutes. Moving Staggs to the halves as injury replacement for Brodie was very promising and probably got us the win in the end. That move is also less disruptive as it allows Turps and Paix normal hooker rotation to go ahead rather than one of them jumping into the halves... preferably you'd have Herbie on the bench to cover the outside backs but as mentioned Glenn could be seen as that backs cover.

To me I think Seibs probably sticks with his 2 forwards, 1 hooker and 1 outside back... and will look to rotate those middles quite regularly.

Our middle depth isn't that flash at full strength, as it's basically Kennedy then Hoppa/Riki after that (if you assume 3 forwards on the bench). If you can rotate Flegs and Kennedy through those 2 bench middles it looks safer, compared to Kennedy being your first guy off the reserves with Riki and Hoppa after that.

The other thing that may influence is the effect of 6 again calls. There will be a lot more fatigue in the middles as teams become more comfortable with the 6 again calls... whilst Carrigan, Lodge and Haas can pump out long minutes at the current pace of the game, this change of speed around the ruck may require 3 forwards on the bench to ensure that middle defence doesn't become loose.

It will be a juggling act with us as we don't have a second rower that can genuinely cover the backs, like a Takaraingi, Luke Capewell, etc. so we have to either rely on Glenn to cover the backs (which I'm not confident about as his speed has been exposed in the past when having to cover center) or we have to hope our middles can adapt to the likely increase in defense through the middle, which allows us the luxury of a back on the bench

Last edited:
It's an interesting question as to how the bench gets made up at full strength... potentially Flegs or Offa drop out as part of keeping the middles fresh.

I'd say TPJ comes onto the bench as part of the middle rotation with an ability to cover 2nd row as well... from the trials I'd say the plan is to get TPJ on in the middle and push him into the second row by taking Glenn off, TPJ would then play out the game.. so he either starts in the middle and plays 80, shifting from middle to edge, or comes off the bench at 20mins into the middle before shifting to the edge later in the game.

If we drop the outside back for TPJ it's likely
Glenn becomes our outside back cover. He could fill in at center with Darius pushing to wing of fullback if an injury did occur. The alternative could be Fifi into the centers with TPJ coming into 2nd row, but that becomes more damaging to our attack by moving Fifi out.

I think Staggs will be our back up in the halves until Turps can pump out big minutes. Moving Staggs to the halves as injury replacement for Brodie was very promising and probably got us the win in the end. That move is also less disruptive as it allows Turps and Paix normal hooker rotation to go ahead rather than one of them jumping into the halves... preferably you'd have Herbie on the bench to cover the outside backs but as mentioned Glenn could be seen as that backs cover.

To me I think Seibs probably sticks with his 2 forwards, 1 hooker and 1 outside back... and will look to rotate those middles quite regularly.

Our middle depth isn't that flash at full strength, as it's basically Kennedy then Hoppa/Riki after that. If you can rotate Flegs and Kennedy through those 2 bench middles it looks safer, compared to Kennedy being your first guy off the reserves with Riki and Hoppa after that.

The other thing that may influence is the effect of 6 again calls. There will be a lot more fatigue in the middles as teams become more comfortable with the 6 again calls... whilst Carrigan, Lodge and Haas can pump out long minutes at the current pace of the game, this change of speed around the ruck may require 3 forwards on the bench to ensure that middle defence doesn't become loose.

It will be a juggling act with us as we don't have a second rower that can genuinely cover the backs, like a Takaraingi, Luke Capewell, etc.
Personally I see TPJ being a bit like Nelson Asofa Solomona at Melbourne in that Bellamy moves his position, minutes and role around week to week depending on who they are playing and what he needs from NAS that week.

I could see TPJ starting at Lock, starting on an edge, coming off the Bench as a Middle and also coming off the Bench and playing Edge and Middle in the same game.

He's highly versatile and every week our needs for him are likely to shift so I could see him having a broad range of roles for us over the course of the season.

The issue would be making it hard for him to build up combinations consistently, but that's already been a challenge anyway because he spends 25% of the season suspended and/or suffering hamstring injuries anyway.

Last edited:
you're right ... playing halfback is much harder
You're conveniently overlooking the point of my comment which is to do with the tackling load that playing in the middle requires.
I am a HUGE fan of Staggs so don't get me wrong, I think he can do almost anything but I can't see the point of re-arranging the whole backline to suit your agenda.
For example, who do we remove from our halves?
Croft or Milford?
If Staggs ducks into dummay half for some quick runs to cut them up later on the game, while we are on the attack, that could be a good move given the new ruck infringement rules.
Under those circumstances it could be a good trick shot, but generally speaking I don't believe he is our best option as a backup 9 when and if Turps needs a spell.

I reckon Flegs should be starting, even when Lodge is fully fit. The kid is an absolute gun.

8. Flegler
10. Haas
11. Fifita
12. TPJ/Bullemor (You need someone to cover TPJ, he will be suspended half or more of every season)
13. Carrigan

There is your pack for the next decade.

Does it matter given nobody can go to the game anyway?
My 7 yo wants to stay up to watch the game. School the next day too. Thursday night sucks balls.

If they have to have it on Thursday night, a 7 or even 7.30 kick off would be a huge improvement.

Think it was flagged by Seibold, but reckon we'll see a fair bit of shuffling on the bench. Especially with managing Turpin's longer minutes and giving Paix and all the forwards a run in the absence of the state competition.

Plus, they're all young .. don't want no burn out.

it will be a bit of mess I reckon this next game...for both teams...lots of errors etc....lots of slack ruck defending as players tire easier..

Might come down to goal kicking...lets hope Jamayne has been keeping his eye in and practicing lots of conversion attempts...

NRL.com predicted team

1. Jamayne Isaako
  2. Corey Oates
  3. Kotoni Staggs
  4. Darius Boyd
  5. Jesse Arthars
  6. Anthony Milford
  7. Brodie Croft
  8. Matt Lodge
  9. Jake Turpin
  10. Payne Haas
  11. Patrick Carrigan
  12. Alex Glenn
  13. Joe Ofahengaue
  14. Tesi Niu
  15. Thomas Flegler
  16. Jamil Hopoate
  17. Rhys Kennedy

Interesting they have Offa at lock and Carrigan in the 2nd row....

Also, we have an amazing forward pack. Would be nice to have em all play...

NRL.com predicted team

1. Jamayne Isaako
  2. Corey Oates
  3. Kotoni Staggs
  4. Darius Boyd
  5. Jesse Arthars
  6. Anthony Milford
  7. Brodie Croft
  8. Matt Lodge
  9. Jake Turpin
  10. Payne Haas
  11. Patrick Carrigan
  12. Alex Glenn
  13. Joe Ofahengaue
  14. Tesi Niu
  15. Thomas Flegler
  16. Jamil Hopoate
  17. Rhys Kennedy

Interesting they have Offa at lock and Carrigan in the 2nd row....

Also, we have an amazing forward pack. Would be nice to have em all play...
Because they have no idea. There are glaring defecncies in most of their predicted teams. For example, the y continue to name Fotuaika on the bench for the Titans even though he's been their best player for 12 months.

Active Now

• bert_lifts
  • Porthoz
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.