Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Lodge was keen and solid when he came on. Cannot wait for TPJ and Fiffita to join him and the others that played well up front ! Carrigan needs to go back to club footy, he was a waste of a number. Would be great if Seggy can come back, his speed was well needed

Lodge was keen and solid when he came on. Cannot wait for TPJ and Fiffita to join him and the others that played well up front ! Carrigan needs to go back to club footy, he was a waste of a number. Would be great if Seggy can come back, his speed was well needed

giphy.gif

We killed our chances and Parra played pretty well with the extra ball we handed over.

Not sure about the 6 again rule atm. I wasn't a fan before, less convinced now but happy to see where it goes.
The ref fucked us over with the 6 again calls in the first 15 mins. I couldn't see any difference between what we got pinged for and what they did. It set the tone for the game.
What really pissed me off was the video ref clearly tipping to the ref when Staggs dropped had it knocked out but a massive fail on tipping him that Oates never knocked it dead in goal.
Tip 1 you tip all or stay the **** out of it.
Agree with other comments re our defensive strategy, we simply cannot be sliding backwards and expect to stop players like Sivo.
1 ref sped the game up but offside is going to be a problem. All this change is going to do is shift the cheating to a different area and Parra were on to it from the get.
Nothing has changed with Darbs, he gives us nothing except the slowest scoot in history.

This game is not the one to judge us on but with our size we could be one of the teams to fair the worst.
Seibs has done a terrific job to make so many changes so quickly and with 1 change our entire strategy could be blown away and it's advantage the mid sized mobile packs.
Home town advantage.

You must be confusing Carrigan with Offa. Totally agree - Offa should go back to club footy and was a waste of space. On the other hand, Carrigan was great. 115m running metres is nothing to sneeze at for a team that had very little ball and he made some really tough runs coming out of our half when we needed it. 51 tackles to to go with it. Future captain of our team and with Glenn likely to not be playing next week, you'll be lucky enough to see him with the C next to his name on the team list come Tuesday.

I think we got caught out a little unprepared last night, we just weren't quite there phyically or mentally for the restart of the competition, Parra started strong and dominated on the back of possession from our errors.

I think we will improve but we definitely need to do more with ball when in possession, with the speed of the game and the new 6 again you need that 2nd phase play from offloads and quick play the balls to get that momentum and steam roll over the opposition.

not surprised we were dominated around the edge in defence; TPJ and Fifita grow more important by their absence.

I said it before the game resumed; I will judge Brisbane after a month of football...very disjointed and rusty throughout.

The difference a settled spine makes in this game cant be underestimated; new halfback, new fullback, newly installed 80 minute hooker (is 64 tackles a game going to diminish what Turps can do offensively..?)....compared to the Eels. Its simply going to take time for this to work...if indeed it does...

Still...footys back.....so there's that...

I think we all need to take a few deep breaths here. Some points from the way I see it.
  • This team as a whole is very inexperienced, especially in the forwards. This will take time and the club knows this which is why they are investing in the key players and the coach long term. Consistency will take time which is why we will have games like this and then play like world beaters in another game.
  • I don't care what team it is you can't even come close to winning games with 36% possession, TBF they did well to keep the score to what they did with that possession and really it was only a blowout in the last 15 when the weight became too much. Yes the possession issues were their fault but it also shows that this is an outlier and not the rule.
  • I hate the 1 ref idea. They couldn't get it right with 2 so what makes them think they would with 1? This is not an excuse and I don't think we would have won regardless but I cannot believe that Parramatta were back the 10 and not leaving early with that line speed and some of the calls were just ridiculous. Clearly Parramatta realised that Sutton wasn't able to cover everything so they made sure they were good in the ruck but took advantage through leaving early.
  • The idea of the 6 again rule is sound in theory in terms of opening it up the game but it is never going to be applied fairly with the caliber of refs we have. They already struggled with grey area and this has just introduced more. The first try on the back of 2 6 again calls for 'holding down' there is no way we were any longer than the Eels were in the ruck.

I thought the two areas of defence that were terrible were marker and the middle. The Broncos marker defence was really sloppy. They didn't communicate or split in the way they're supposed to particularly when they were defending their line.

The middle was under pressure and the markers didn't help, along with the Isaako's positioning, that first Parra try highlighted both problems, a simple settle and the markers didn't move and the middle hadn't moved up and a guy goes through.

The right side was horrible too but the middle and marker were just inexcusable.

I questioned Hoppa before the Cowboys game and he certainly made those efforts in the first three games but based on the type of player he is I still think it's relevant. He is not suited to this team. Even starting last night he didn't suit the team.

I am not bagging Hoppa I hope he has a blinder but I just can't see it for two reasons. I don't see what he will achieve off the bench, he's a hole runner and it's a hard gig to come off the bench in your first game and pick up the pace of the game and be able to judge the ball accurately. The plus is he can play left or right so he's versatile and he makes efforts but his best work has been off Gamble and Cullen just running lines at gaps and inside shoulders.

Additional to that the Broncos haven't proven great at giving the passes those guys need.

It's not just about skills or ability, you have to be suited to a team and I just don't believe Hoppa was ever suited to this side.

To me Parra were just too good.

They beat us through Moses kicking game and their kick chase.

If the revised refereeing means no more penalties to get you out of your own end then kick chase becomes one of the most important requirements to winning the field position battle.

Whilst we kicked to corners well enough our kick chase wasn't putting enough pressure on their back 3... not in respect to competing for the ball, but putting heavy defence on the winger as soon as they catch it.

On the other hand Parra's kick chase hemmed us into our corners and we seemed to be coming off our own line the entire night.

Parra's back 5 were also far better at helping out their forwards... which will be another aspect that becomes important in the new "no penalties" NRL world, as the middle forwards will be fatigued from defending. It's in this respect that I'm most disappointed with Oates. Moses intentionally kicked to Oates all night and he basically fell into their game plan... Oates can't sit there and think that his job is done just because he's retrieved the ball. His main job is to take big hitups on tackles 2/3 to help the forwards until they get back... if they kick to him all night it's because they don't want him having a hitup later in the set. He needs to reload after retrieving the ball and take a second hitup later in the set.

In the end it's difficult to get a gauge on where we're at given we had not only no ball, but also no field position. Errors killed us and it seemed like every bounce of the ball went against us.

The most frustrating thing for me is we are used as the guinea pigs for this new rule... no trials, hell they weren't even allowed to have refs at training to give them an idea of how it will be implemented.

After Sutton called 3 restarts in a row on us he realised it's impact and decided to put it in the back pocket... so we got put on the back foot and then an instant relaxation from the onfield ref.

I think refereeing will be different for every other game from here on in, because no one had any idea of how it would play out... now we as the guinea pig have shown them what can happen and they will likely adjust for every other game.

If they don't the warriors and titans could get 60 put on them regularly.

Not all doom and gloom in my opinion.

We handed the Eels easy field position early on, giving them multiple sets on our line really emptied our tanks and we couldnt recover.

Staggs - defensive woes and bloopers reel continues from last season.
Croft - defensive liability

I could only watch 10 minutes of the carnage before switching off. It's going to be a long season.

I want the six again to be counted in penalties, the refs look a lot better only blowing “6” penalties all game when really it was a **** ton more.

This pretty much sums up what happened last night

Active Now

• Mister Wright
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • GCBRONCO
  • phoenix
  • Justwin
  • Sproj
  • Fatboy
  • Jazza
  • broncos4life
  • Brotherdu
  • I bleed Maroon
  • barker
  • Broncos Maestro
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Maddy
  • Broncosgirl
  • broncsgoat
  • FACTHUNT
  • Johnny92
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.