Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Well said sir........how could you have a serious crack at Milford, when he spent most of the game defending???....... which I agree was solid when it mattered.

It started with those fucken 6 again calls against us....one after another.......arbitrary at fucken best. We were pretty well fucked from then on.
Couple performances out there were worse than some but....at the end of the day, you can't win footy games if you keep dropping ball.

Mehhh........too early to put a line through anybody's name.

Just refresh my memory who was it who got run over for the 1st try ?
It was Anthony Milford , No ?

Last edited:
If the Super League have no plans to return any time soon, the NRL should allow two players to join each NRL club. We could get Matt Parcell and a second rower.

Has anyone heard anything about the Super League?

I'd love to get Parcell, wish he never left. Can't believe the Broncs kept Macca instead of him (yes, yes I know their contracts were not a direct him or him situation).

Macca did it for a whole decade though.

Turpin has shown more skills in his ~20 game career than someone with well over 10x the games.

So he played tacklebot this week, we had under 40% possession. Every player will have to adjust to the new speed of the game. It will only become a valid criticism if it becomes the norm
I like Turpin and what he offers. I was just saying he should be held to account the same way Macca did despite the amount of games they have played. Forget the preconceived biases and simply put Macca in Turpin's shoes and had Macca played the same way as Turpin, he'd be getting criticised in every 3rd post in this thread.

does anyone know how many 6 again rulings we had against us?i watched the rooters game last night and didnt think we were any worse in the ruck as either of those sides at the start of our game.

1. Isaako - He was far from the worst on the night. Didn't spill any ball and was a part of that slick outside inside ball, but I'd still like to see a bit more from him, especially with support play. Both times we bombed those tries, a half put in a grubber for someone and neither time Isaako was sighted anywhere near the chase. 6
2. Oates - He looks checked out to be honest. Unfit, rusty and mentally weak. My mind wanders back to Seibold's comments in the presser following Parra's first smashing of us in the finals when he pretty much says the young blokes put in a lot harder at training than the older guys. I'm beginning to think Corey might be one of those the shot was aimed at. He needs a stint in Qcup. 3
3. Staggs - From hero to zero. Made that one good run in the first half then the rest was a night to forget. He has a tonne of talent clearly, but he must get his hands sorted. Also ruled himself out by lashing out with frustration with the high shot. I'm hoping he's far better when he returns because he owes us now. 4
4. Boyd - Didn't have a bad night defensively but then again, the whole team was doing well defensively until the 2nd half. Still utterly useless in attack and energy and is taking us and the club for a merry dance. 4
5. Arthars - Of all the backs on the night, he impressed me the most. The Sivo try was unfortunate, but he otherwise put in a real solid showing. Always keen for the ball, did more work out of our end then he should be doing (a compliment for him) and comfortably outplayed both Oates and Boyd who have a tonne more experience. 7
6. Milford - After dazzling us against the Bunnies, it's back to the shithouse for Milf. I'm more than happy to give him a bit of time to warm up again, it has been a disrupted season, but he is really on thin ice now. He must find a way to not be so passive all the time. 4
7. Croft - If I were giving a 3-2-1, he would be getting the 2 points. His try was amazing, he set Isaako up for a great out and in, and he was barking orders all night. He really needs to work on his long kicks though because he was putting them on Sivo's tits all night. 7
8. Flegler - I'm not gonna be sparing the forwards on this one. Yes, Sutton absolutely fucked them in the first 5 minutes, but we were back square with Parra very shortly afterwards and should have been well in it from that point. Instead, they were unsighted all night. Within 10 minutes of kickoff I was asking myself why none of them were taking any hitups out of our end. Just no desire to take the hard run to get us on the front foot. Flegler is no exception. Can't remember one strong run he took all night. He's far from the only one. 5
9. Turpin - 65 tackles speaks for itself. So he can match Macca in workload and also have faster service at the same time. Swell, that was pleasant to see. It's disappointing then that the rest of his night was so meh. We never had control of the ruck ever and it literally killed us in the first 5 minutes. That's on Jake for not taking command and we really need him to learn to do that consistently real quick. 6
10. Haas - Disappointment was the word of the evening, and Haas exemplified that. He had a very poor night in my opinion. I expect someone like Flegler to seesaw back and forth between star and spud, but Haas is on the sort of money where that really shouldn't be happening. BEnefit of the doubt with rust and all that, but he really needs to have a big game next week. 5
11. Glenn - Hi first game as captain and he gashes his leg down to the bone and is rushed to E.R. FMD. To his credit, we seemed to stay in it while he was out there leading them, but still not a big or nice enough sample size to know for sure. Lucky us we have Carrigan waiting in the wings. 5
12. Hopoate - Our worst player by a long way and completely out of his depth. Knows how to drop a ball and give a penalty away. Haven't seen derp like it since Whitchurch. Will probably remain in the side by virtue of our outs but as soon as they all return he is not long for this world. 1
13. Carrigan - Our best on field. Was the only forward that made Parra feel the sting all night. Led from the front but the troops were too far behind. Can't wait until he is our full time captain to be honest because then he sets the standard. He did just that last night and none got near him. 8

Not sure what else Haas was supposed to do honestly... He ran for 196 metres off 18 runs, made 3 offloads and made 49 tackles with only 1 miss. That is super impressive from a 20 year old who's team only had 34% possession. I think you may want to re-visit how you think he went.

Also, I don't think Flegler was bad, he just wasn't as effective and flashy as he had been in the first 2 rounds. He was still efficient with his runs with 80 metres over 8 runs and definitely had some big runs in there. Obviously he made a mistake, but at that point it really didn't matter.

Just think you were a bit harsh when judging these two's games.

does anyone know how many 6 again rulings we had against us?i watched the rooters game last night and didnt think we were any worse in the ruck as either of those sides at the start of our game.
Is wasn’t that many for the overall game. We just got pumped with three I think in the first set or two which pretty much gifted the Eels their first try and set the tone for the game. I’m going to watch the replay again this afternoon because I still don’t understand what they were even for? We’re we getting up too slow? We’re we all over the ball? From memory I saw nothing wrong with any part of it... What team will deliberately go about giving away 2 penalties in the first defensive set of a game??? Ref was like a kid with a new toy for the first 10-15 minutes and then that was it.

His service was far from great. Macca copped all sorts of criticism for not passing off the ground, not putting the ball on the chest, not running from dummy half. All things that Turpin didn’t do Thursday night.

But he gets away with the old, “but he did a lot of defence which blunted his attack.” This never seemed to be a good enough defence for Macca. Some even had the hide to say that Macca’s defence was over-rated because he was often the third man in or flopped on tackles to, “improve his stats”. A lot of Turpin’s tackles Thursday night were of this exact nature. Those with an anti-Macca agenda will now use the exact things they criticised Macca for to promote Turpin.

He ‘gets away with it’ because it was one game and a game that we had 36% possession.

His service was far from great. Macca copped all sorts of criticism for not passing off the ground, not putting the ball on the chest, not running from dummy half. All things that Turpin didn’t do Thursday night.

But he gets away with the old, “but he did a lot of defence which blunted his attack.” This never seemed to be a good enough defence for Macca. Some even had the hide to say that Macca’s defence was over-rated because he was often the third man in or flopped on tackles to, “improve his stats”. A lot of Turpin’s tackles Thursday night were of this exact nature. Those with an anti-Macca agenda will now use the exact things they criticised Macca for to promote Turpin.

Just seems the losing culture in this era of broncos is hard to cleanse. The slow Macca effect, the one out flat footed hit ups, the lack of back rower attacking structure, the non existent move up in defense... I’m sure there’s more but all these things have been going on since 2016 and even with a new coach, nothing has changed.

It’s a conscious decision that he has to make, be a tackle-bot, or control the quantity and show your attack.

Should this be mutually exclusive? For mine, no. You can choose to be both. Jake Friend showed exactly that last night, and it is that what separated him from Turpin on their respective performances last night. Friend attacks the line at every opportunity and makes a shitload of tackles.

I don't think this is simply Turpin's fault so much as the passive style of play the entire team fell into, as others have pointed out. That passive style of play is like a wet blanket thrown over the whole team. When faced with say, an avalanche of attack, we retreat into this defensive shell, both structurally and mentally. It locks us into playing negative football. This then puts huge pressure on the defence generally, and on individual defensive performances - especially those of less experienced players which were clearly exposed last night: Staggs and Arthers for example. At least it shows the coaching staff that their defensive reads need a lot of hard work.

Our attack reverted to one out running. We waited for opportunities instead of making them happen. Aside from the passive attitude we adopted, there was also a failure of leadership amongst our key playmakers. Milford was disappointing for me. When the going got tough, he didn't get going, or get the team going. Croft tried which was good to see, but one player leading is not enough in an inexperienced side like we have. We really need Milf to stand up and do it NOW. His combination with Croft is critical to our success. As for Turps, I want to see him start running a whole lot more than simply pass and tackle. Again , I know that is hard for him to do when the whole side is so ... well ... passive.

I am being hard on this inexperienced team I know. I guess I was just disappointed that we were just so negative. It also really shows how much we rely on our stand out opportunists like Fifita and Tevita. Trouble is, a premiership winning team cannot rely on 2 players.

He ‘gets away with it’ because it was one game and a game that we had 36% possession.
It's not just one game though. Look at recent stats. Turpin doesn't run the ball. You will find over their last 10 games at hooker McCullough has run more out of dummy half than Turpin. It is a myth that Turpin is a runner. However the McCullough haters use this as a reason why Turpin is so much better than him. McCullough didn't run that often and Turpin runs even less.

It's not just one game though. Look at recent stats. Turpin doesn't run the ball. You will find over their last 10 games at hooker McCullough has run more out of dummy half than Turpin. It is a myth that Turpin is a runner. However the McCullough haters use this as a reason why Turpin is so much better than him. McCullough didn't run that often and Turpin runs even less.

Lucky Macca will be back next year.

I don’t recall using that reason personally. But for argument’s sake it’s easy to compare stats like that, but a player can run 10 times and it be useless whereas the other player can run once and it be a crucial play in the game. A good hooker needs to pick when to run, not just to.

One thing Turps is very good at is seizing opportunities - by my count he’s scored the winning try in two or three games by staying alive in the play or chancing his hand with what was in front of him.

I can’t recall McCullough being that guy. And some teams don’t him to be that, but most do and we were one of them

The eels seemed fit and back into shape.
Disagree. They fumbled too; just less than us. Like I said elsewhere, I think Brad Arthur deserves the credit for somehow getting his team onto the park in better shape.
[automerge]1590815838[/automerge]
It's not about running with the ball. Macca would get involved in every play and slow it down. He'd trundle along and lob it to a player standing still. Turpin gets rid of the ball faster and flatter. He passes to players on the boil. That's what service means.
[automerge]1590815913[/automerge]
Service is a fun word that can't be proven wrong or right. His service didn't help anything either, did it?
It was an improvement over the last time we played the Eels with Macca at hooker.

Last edited:
Disagree. They fumbled too; just less than us. Like I said elsewhere, I think Brad Arthur deserves the credit for somehow getting his team onto the park in better shape.
[automerge]1590815838[/automerge]

It's not about running with the ball. Macca would get involved in every play and slow it down. He'd trundle along and lob it to a player standing still. Turpin gets rid of the ball faster and flatter. He passes to players on the boil. That's what service means.

It was an improvement over the last time we played the Eels with Macca at hooker.

Turp's service last night was ordinary. From the start of the game, my first reaction to his first pass from dummy half was shit, that's slow. And it didn't improve all night. I actually thought Macca would have been better for us last night. Oh NO! Last year? Yep, Turps was a lot better. But not last night. As with Milf, bugger all attacking the line, no creating opportunities. But then, maybe that was because mostly, with a few exceptions, the whole team was just n e g a t i v e and PASSIVE ... loitering in the line.... waiting for something to happen, for someone to make things happen.

Contrast the Eels, jumping out of their skins to make things happen. And they did .. while we waited .. and waited .. and waited. Yawn

Mate, you need to watch the game again (if you dare). I lost count of the amount of times the forwards and to prop in their run to gather the pass from Turpin. There was one set in particular where every pass from Turpin was either to the side or above the head of the player, both Haas and Ofahengaue had to stop their momentum to collect a pass and one other where Lodge had to halt, because a pass was above his head. All momentum for them was lost in their runs giving the defence plenty of time to get int their faces. This wasn’t an isolated set either.

Turp's service last night was ordinary. From the start of the game, my first reaction to his first pass from dummy half was shit, that's slow. And it didn't improve all night. I actually thought Macca would have been better for us last night. Oh NO! Last year? Yep, Turps was a lot better. But not last night. As with Milf, bugger all attacking the line, no creating opportunities. But then, maybe that was because mostly, with a few exceptions, the whole team was just n e g a t i v e and PASSIVE ... loitering in the line.... waiting for something to happen, for someone to make things happen.

Contrast the Eels, jumping out of their skins to make things happen. And they did .. while we waited .. and waited .. and waited. Yawn
Agreed. I rate Mahoney. Strong defensively and very smart eight the ball in hand. He was in almost everything Thursday night.

I don’t recall using that reason personally. But for argument’s sake it’s easy to compare stats like that, but a player can run 10 times and it be useless whereas the other player can run once and it be a crucial play in the game. A good hooker needs to pick when to run, not just to.

One thing Turps is very good at is seizing opportunities - by my count he’s scored the winning try in two or three games by staying alive in the play or chancing his hand with what was in front of him.

I can’t recall McCullough being that guy. And some teams don’t him to be that, but most do and we were one of them
So where’s Macca’s credit for running and getting a penalty? No....This is seen as a negative because it slow’s our momentum 🤦‍♂️ (Maybe not you, but things I’ve seen posted on this forum). It is one of the main reasons people were calling for Turpin to take Macca’s spot because Macca rarely runs. I don’t know what’s less than rarely, but that Turpin’s running game.

Lucky Macca will be back next year.
I think people are missing the point that this game has brought up. It isn't the individual qualities of mecca or Turpin per sae but the team selection that makes a run on hooker play 80 minutes.
I'm sure the original plan was to rest Turpin with Glenn and that went out the window with the injury.
Of course we had other options out there that could have performed the role but didn't.
I've said for a while people were overly harsh on Macca. Unfortunately as he aged his performances deteriated rapidly but that wasn't helped playing 80 minutes.
Last night illustrated this perfectly. We need a utility that can give Turpin a rest.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Morkel
  • FACTHUNT
  • Spoon
  • Stix
  • Tim K
  • Fatboy
  • I bleed Maroon
  • sooticus
  • Fitzy
  • westy316
  • KateBroncos1812
  • HarryAllan7
  • Alec
  • armchair
  • Johnny92
  • jarro65
  • Bucking Beads
  • NSW stables
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.