Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Staggs looks lost in defence sometimes, but I wonder if it’s about those around him. There were a couple of times I noticed Staggs was more worried about the positioning of those about him than he was for the ball runner.

The fact that it always seems to happen regardless of who his 2nd rower or winger is, makes me think Staggs just isn't a very good defender.

Lots of bagging of Oates but I think he has suffered from playing outside out Boyd for 2 seasons

Oh yeah, we didn't challenge ANY of the Eels dodgy calls last night and there were plenty. Can someone please teach our leadership group it exists?

We completely messed up two Captain Challenge's too.

The ref at one point told the Broncos not to even bother with a Captains Challenge because they wont win it. It would have been a 20 restart and not a drop out.

We completely messed up two Captain Challenge's too.

The ref at one point told the Broncos not to even bother with a Captains Challenge because they wont win it. It would have been a 20 restart and not a drop out.
The bunker reviews those automatically and they had already made the wrong call. They weren't going to change it.

I also hate the six again stuff. No team should have to defend up to 18+ tackles in a row without a slight break.
We haven`t seen Cameron Smith and his gang play these rules yet ...
I think we will see the sniper take down some Storm players . 6 again against the Storm ,,, and down goes Cameron like he`s been shot .Right there in the middle of the ruck . lol .

I asked Middo, the lowest possession % in NRL history was in last years preliminary final, Broncos vs Eels - 34%

Lmao.

We now have the 2 lowest possession %'s in NRL history in back-to-back games against the Eels.

Titans might beat that record tonight

Sorry, I've turned off notifications so I missed this earlier.

This was the first proper pre-season Seibold has had to implement his systems and structures. Last year was a disaster but a large part of that has to be aimed at the mismanagement of the Bellamy situation and how the club handled the departure of Bennett. Last year Seibold tore the team apart, there is still some work to go in that regard, but this is the first time he's started to build the side back up.

It's a new look spine, made up of a pack that only became regulars in the past two years. At one stage the pack was Flegler (2019), Turpin (2019), Haas (2019), Hopoate (2020), Bullemor (2020) and Carrigan (2019). Considering the circumstances and the major disruptions this season, I still expect some turbulence. Just as long as it isn't as bad as last year and the side is headed in the right direction, I can cop the odd flogging or capitulation.

That’s okay mate, I had said enough last night as it was.

I find the idea of blaming last season on a lack of a pre-season interesting.

Okay, so you can’t put your ‘structures’ in place. You’ve now had a pre-season Anthony to put these structures in place.

So what happened last night? Oh, COVID-19 is the excuse now?

Broncs have certainly had a lot of excuses in recent years. I am still waiting for them to accept the blame and then ACTUALLY do something to change it.

We still have passive, back-pedalling defence, despite these structures. We still have a game plan based on 5 one out hit ups and a bomb on the last... We don’t play much if any ad-lib footy and the problems of years gone past (poor ball handling etc) continue.

But hey, we have new ‘structures’ at least, apparently...

Last edited:
Staggs looks lost in defence sometimes, but I wonder if it’s about those around him. There were a couple of times I noticed Staggs was more worried about the positioning of those about him than he was for the ball runner.
He literally turned his back on the ball carrier, on the line. I know things have changed since my day but keeping an eye on the play still seems relevant.
I'm not saying he should be dropped for it or really anyone else for that matter (there's a tendency to overreact after these defeats), but we need to at least address what are pretty glaring deficiencies shown during that game.
Staggs defence was just an example. Another is a lack of commitment to tuck the ball under an arm by forwards and make some tough yards when momentum is against us (carrigan and Haas excepted).
It was lodge's forte before injury and it was disappointing to seem him shirk that responsibility, though perhaps understandable, given the injury lay off.
He needs to get back to that kind of running, because without it he really doesn't have much to offer.
I think we have to just put this one behind us as a bad day and look to better efforts in the next game.
Training with tactics suited to resilliance after periods of sustained pressure would be good too. I assume that happens already but perhaps the lessons need reinforcement.
That game saw us revert to some bad habits of the past that I was hoping were history.

That’s okay mate, I had said enough last night as it was.

I find the idea of blaming last season on a lack of a pre-season interesting.

Okay, so you can’t put your ‘structures’ in place. You’ve now had a pre-season Anthony to put these structures in place.

So what happened last night? Oh, COVID-19 is the excuse now?

Broncs have certainly had a lot of excuses in recent years. I am still waiting for them to accept the blame and then ACTUALLY do something to change it.

We still have passive, back-pedalling defence, despite these structures. We still have a game plan based on 5 one out hit ups and a bomb on the last... We don’t play much if any ad-lib footy and the problems of years gone past (poor ball handling etc) continue.

But hey, we have new ‘structures’ at least, apparently...

Didn't you notice them in the first two rounds of the competition when everyone else was talking the Broncos up?

From here on out, i would be coaching the team to play dirty on the first tackle of every defensive set.
who cares if six again is called on the first tackle, when the payoff if you get away with it is possession in excellent field position.

Didn't you notice them in the first two rounds of the competition when everyone else was talking the Broncos up?
Not really. There was more than we have been used to but a lot of it was flukey, unstructured, keeping the ball alive play that lead to our tries.

Not really. There was more than we have been used to but a lot of it was flukey, unstructured, keeping the ball alive play that lead to our tries.

Sounds a lot like ad-lib football.

I thought they were very impressive against Souths, played with plenty of purpose and didn't let the absence of Croft affect their play too much.

Sounds a lot like ad-lib football.

I thought they were very impressive against Souths, played with plenty of purpose and didn't let the absence of Croft affect their play too much.
I’d say it would be. We weren’t bad at all, but we were lucky. Plus we almost lost both games too.

Active Now

• Aldo
  • Volvo Driver
  • Dash
  • broncoscope
  • RolledOates
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.