Round 3 - Broncos vs. Roosters - Post Match Discussion

A

Aeetee

State of Origin Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Did Elia hack your account bro?

LOLZ.... maybe?

Point is, nope of this shit is working, hasn't been working for the last x amount of games. Time to try something new.... like win well.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
McCullough didn't have a good game but I didn't think he was one of our worse.

There really wasn't much he could do when he'd get Prince or Wallace space to move on tackle three and then they'd get sacked because they didn't organise their outside men properly or Reed would get tackled after a 4m gain because the set-play was so easily telegraphed.

The difference between Macca and Hunt was ridiculously noticeable. I like Hunt and feel like we've shot ourselves in the foot by not developing him as a half but he's not a hooker.

Then again, I'm probably McCullough's biggest sympathiser.

pwn - It's probably for a whole other topic but it's pretty clear the Broncos haven't managed their salary cap as well as they should have.

The problem is, we lack elite players. Only two perhaps three players can be considered elite - Hodges, Hannant & Thaiday and they all have problems.

The rest vary from good to completely ordinary, depending on who we're talking about. It isn't to say we're the worst run team in the competition, but as the richest club in the competition I don't feel as if we're as adventurous as we should be and the players we are betting on (eg. Norman) aren't as good as our officials believe they are.

I still don't think we should go out and sign whatever trash happens to float our way but we should be looking to address our weaknesses and target players of considerable talent to fix them.

There's plenty of players who have the ability, but just lack the guidance to make the most of it. We need those players.

And no, that isn't an invitation to throw 600K at Dugan.

Last edited:
redbur95

redbur95

QCup Player
Feb 17, 2013
The only reason Norman's still in the team is that the Broncos don't want him going to Parramatta. They think that if they give him fullback over the much-better Josh Hoffman, as well as the kick-off and penalty kick duties, he'll completely turn his back on the Eels' $450 000-a-season deal and sign with Brisbane for half of that. Only put him at fullback if he shows why he should be there, which he's not. Hoffman may not be the greatest fullback running around, but he catches bombs, goes looking for the ball and shows a huge amount of enthusiasm in his play, something Norman could do with. What are the Broncos' long-term plans? Norman's 99% going to the Eels, Prince won't be here in 2015 and then we'll be left with Hunt (who may not be here as well) and Wallace. Nothing about the Broncos suggests that they can win a premiership in the next five years. A couple of years ago, our youth were supposed to create the next dominating Broncos side. They haven't gotten any better since - in fact, they've gone down a notch. I accept that the current squad is trying their hearts out, but they simply haven't got enough skill to be any sort of force. It's a very grim outlook for the Broncos. It looks like Josh Dugan or bust.

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
The only reason Norman's still in the team is that the Broncos don't want him going to Parramatta. They think that if they give him fullback over the much-better Josh Hoffman, as well as the kick-off and penalty kick duties, he'll completely turn his back on the Eels' $450 000-a-season deal and sign with Brisbane for half of that. Only put him at fullback if he shows why he should be there, which he's not. Hoffman may not be the greatest fullback running around, but he catches bombs, goes looking for the ball and shows a huge amount of enthusiasm in his play, something Norman could do with. What are the Broncos' long-term plans? Norman's 99% going to the Eels, Prince won't be here in 2015 and then we'll be left with Hunt (who may not be here as well) and Wallace. Nothing about the Broncos suggests that they can win a premiership in the next five years. A couple of years ago, our youth were supposed to create the next dominating Broncos side. They haven't gotten any better since - in fact, they've gone down a notch. I accept that the current squad is trying their hearts out, but they simply haven't got enough skill to be any sort of force. It's a very grim outlook for the Broncos. It looks like Josh Dugan or bust.
This is the second time you have said this and it still doesn't make any sense. According to your logic the Broncos don't rate norman but they put him in the side anyway so he doesn't sign with parramatta? If they didn't rate him why would they care if he left?

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
The difference between Macca and Hunt was ridiculously noticeable. I like Hunt and feel like we've shot ourselves in the foot by not developing him as a half but he's not a hooker.

That's something I'm afraid of, that Hunt's complete ineptness at hooker is somehow making McCullough look really good to the coach. This is why I want a proper hooker on the bench, both to help the side and to put pressure on McCullough.

T

th3m33k

Mar 23, 2013
Let's be honest here, ever since Cyril Connell has passed on the Broncos recruiting is far below par. How is it we miss out on Cherry-Evans (although I actually don't like him as a person) and Barba, who is recruiting for us?! Still can't understand why we can't get players back to God's country either - e.g. Greg Inglis reneging on the deal and going to Souths (who were nowhere near top 8 material at the time). Looking at the teams lists for this round, besides obviously the Bronx, 3 teams fullbacks are former Broncos.

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Shouldn't underestimate the work McCullough does in defense.

Steve

Steve

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Guess I understand how St George fans were feeling last Friday night. I don't think we're plumbing those depths but I struggle to see where the points are going to come from with Hodges injured. We'll be 1-3 after next week and potentially vulnerable going into the Origin period.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
I can sum that up in 2 words It Sucked.

Srsly 58% of possession, all of those chances to score, dominating field position and territory and couldn't score 1 try, that is rubbish. Thiaday doesn't look fit and doesn't look motivated, Parker should've gotten the captaincy he tried his heart out and put his body on the line constantley. Sign Dugan up he would add a lot to a side that is struggling to get any go forward in the backs, both Norman and Prince were hopeless as well. Well done to the players who tried their heart out, hang your head in shame to the one's who didn't.

The only positive was that the Roosters traditional club song was played at the end (my favourite Rugby League anthem).

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
ffs wallace prince and norman seem to have absolutely no idea what the other is doing and no one else in the team has any idea what any of them are doing. no structure. no set plays. no one to take control. no spark.

ANY other side in the comp barring maybe the dragons would of scored 4-5 tries with the possession they had.

and the thing is they tried their asses off which worries me the most. i just dont understand how an NRL side can look so damn absolutely and embarassinly ordinary in attack yet defend so well. is defense all we do? how is it possible that it still looks like this is the first time prince has even had a run with the team? i just dont get what is going on with this team.

its got to be the coach.

Last edited:
ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
I am still pretty drunk, but I just watched the game anyway, and man, we were shit. Like, really shit. Our attack is ridiculously impotent.

I'll commend the defensive effort, it was top notch. But, it's not much use if you can't score any points!

coreyh88

coreyh88

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2012
The only possible conclusion is the coach. There is nothing left to blame this on. I think the dragons have a much better attack than ours minus Hodges. Apart from a 10 minute lapse against manly we have had so few points put on us. Our goal line defence is second to none. We just have no clue whatsoever in attack. Every single player plays individually. Did neither prince or stagg find it odd that since they have been here the coach hasn't run a single play or spent a second in attack.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I'm disappointed in how Griffin seems to be turning Glenn into another metre eater. He's still great at it, he consistently makes good metres with each run, but he was our most dangerous forward for the past 2 years, we should be going to him more as a hole runner close to the line.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
This is the second time you have said this and it still doesn't make any sense. According to your logic the Broncos don't rate norman but they put him in the side anyway so he doesn't sign with parramatta? If they didn't rate him why would they care if he left?

Because they are too worried about what a failure it will look like. Years of talking him up like he is the messiah and look at him, he is doing well to lace up his own boots... Assume he does lace his own boots

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • easybreezy
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.