Round 3 - Broncos vs. Roosters - Post Match Discussion

I am still pretty drunk, but I just watched the game anyway, and man, we were ****. Like, really ****. Our attack is ridiculously impotent.

I'll commend the defensive effort, it was top notch. But, it's not much use if you can't score any points!

I would recommend not watching it when your sober... That may be too much to take

Norman can go with my blessings now...he's had more than enough chances to show us what he's got.

As was said earlier.. we need to get some structures in attack ..... multiple ball runners, decoys, tap on plays .... anything to put the defense in two minds.

All our forwards are sitting ducks at the moment.

I'm disappointed in how Griffin seems to be turning Glenn into another metre eater. He's still great at it, he consistently makes good metres with each run, but he was our most dangerous forward for the past 2 years, we should be going to him more as a hole runner close to the line.

When we do, Wallace throws him a hospital pass...

I dint understands why Gillett is now an 80 min player and Glenn or Parker aren't. What changed?? The use of our forwards makes no sense to me

Griffin:
"I would rather have good defence than good attack any day."

I don't think anyone disagrees that good defence is great. But I'd rather average defence and attack than excellent defence and WOEFUL attack.

Was about to post the same thing. That says everything we need to know about where the club is headed.

As I see it, the Broncos inherited a style of play from Bennett that placed the major focus on defence. In doing so, it left attack to the class players, and as they have left, so has the attacking flair that transcended the lack of any decent attacking structures which were never created and instilled throughout the club.

The top side has been playing flat, without depth for years. It has become almost an addiction. The only way we have scored points has been opportunism, good luck, and the flashes of brilliance we used to have from the galaxy of stars that made Bennett look so much better than he was, and is, and all that followed to date.

Griffin is simply echoing this mind set, this absurd obsession with defence at the expense of creating a repetoire of attacking structures AND recruiting intelligently where the focus ought to have been on bringing in at least one class player to replace Lockyer.

It's almost as if the style of coaching, and playing in Brisbane has become inbred.

The team has heaps of class, point scoring players everywhere but absolutely NO playmakers, organizers or leaders to use their talents, AND this has been PAINFULLY obvious ever since Locky left AND this isolationist, inbred culture spawned years and years ago in Brisbane NRL is now bearing sour fruit.

As for Dugan, what a load of sh*t! We don't need Dugan, we need a Thurston, a Smith, a Cronk, a Reynolds and so forth.

The sooner this club clears out this culture and spends money on non-Brisbane, non Qld class players the better. Hating NSW is one thing, but if it means f**king the top grade team because of it, then no-one should complain.

This "fortress Brisbane" mentality is the Broncos undoing.

Last edited:
Griffin:

I don't think anyone disagrees that good defence is great. But I'd rather average defence and attack than excellent defence and WOEFUL attack.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Well that sums up griffin as a coach and where we are headed...

Whichever Reynolds you mean, they are definitely not the solution. Adam only knows how to kick, his passing is Hoffman's level. Josh is just a runner, probably more suited to a hooker.

Whichever Reynolds you mean, they are definitely not the solution. Adam only knows how to kick, his passing is Hoffman's level. Josh is just a runner, probably more suited to a hooker.

Can't agree. Adam Reynolds to me is really developing into a true scheming, organizing play maker with a great kicking game, spark, enthusiasm, speed determination AND he is playing behind a side that is at least trying to keep a shape and structure so he can do his stuff

Our compressed, lateral style stifles any opportunities for creative play making

The Doggies Reynolds is benefiting from Hasler's commitment to lettingthe ball do the work which of course, means giving it room. ROOM

Last edited:
at some point the penny has to drop right? you've got to be able to score poinst to win games, no matter how good your defense is.

in this era you simply don't win games if you can only manage 8 points. but the roosters did it comfortably.

its poor coaching. players need roles. specific jobs. set plays. structured stuff. something we have none of and that comes from the coach. we also need a half to take control of the situation. prince hasnt been very good so far.. hopefully that changes. wallace is .. wallace.

hoffman looks pretty hungry out there at the moment. getting no ball though.

thaiday had a pretty solid game and did alot of work for us. often two hit ups per set. anderson also worked really hard.

Last edited:
at some point the penny has to drop right? you've got to be able to score poinst to win games, no matter how good your defense is.

in this era you simply don't win games if you can only manage 8 points. but the roosters did it comfortably.

its poor coaching. players need roles. specific jobs. set plays. structured stuff. something we have none of and that comes from the coach.

I don't think the Roosters did it that comfortably. Our defence was actually very good, but then the Roosters are still developing their combinations.

And I also think it is more than the coach - it is the club and its culture. On the recruitment side, we are hopeless.

And I'll say it again: the curious thing is last year, for a few games, Griffin adopted a similar passing style of game to what Hasler used at Manly n now at the Dogs n we actually looked very effective in attack

Where has that gone? and why?

no point in looking to Dugan to sign if we dont have half a brain to pass him the ball at the right times..We'd probably bog him down and actually take away from what he does best with the way we're playing.

We need some serious changes.. Wallace is contributing nothing, Jack Reed is frustratingly slow. We need to get Dugan in to fullback. Hoffman was the only back line player trying out there and Reef wouldn't pass him the ball. Alex Glenn could of had 10 offloads last night if their we're support players.
we have te young talent with speed available.
Capewell, Kahu, Berryman, Kemp, Bond and Dave Hala need to get a shot.
When your attack is already struggling, you don't put David Stagg in the back line.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Gaz
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Waynesaurus
  • Manofoneway
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Dexter
  • Nightwatchman
  • Skyblues87
  • LGH
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Financeguy
  • Harry Sack
  • Dreaglor
  • Hurrijo
  • DrGee
  • Kenny powers
  • Scdeac
  • thenry
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.