Round 3 - Broncos vs Roosters - Pre-Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO the Roosters have 3 main weak defenders. Maloney was a speedbump playing for the Warriors, and was similarly poor for the Blues. I haven't actually been paying close attention to him defending for the Roosters, but I assume they just hide him well. Does he defend on the same side as Thaiday? If so, there're your answer. But if he's being protected Sam will have to run with a decoy beside him, either Hannant or Parker (whoever is on the right), and run shoulder-to-shoulder and make Maloney's inside defender have to commit to one or the other. The other two weaknesses are the centres. Both SKD and Jennings have been notably bad in the past, both in terms of decision making, but Jennings moreso in technique. Isolating Maloney will go a fair way towards bringing in Jennings and giving room for Copley to mow over him, or Barba to sneak around the outside.

This is all well & good but because the Roosters are so dirty in the middle, it's difficult to get them on the back foot and therefore rare that you'll actually have them fatigued enough to take advantage of these weaknesses. I am sure they know of these defensive weaknesses which is why they opt to give away penalties instead of let these weak links be exposed. So the other ploy will be to play on these penalties. They get away with a lot by concealing their dirtyness (a la Storm in the past), so our wildcard here is Kennedy. Not only can he match them for size, but he will also know all their dirty secrets when it comes to wrestling techniques and concealing illegalities. Work on these and draw the penalties, penalties galore! We'll need all the help we can get. While it would make sense to start Kennedy, and help us in the softening up period, I don't actually think it's a bad idea to bring him on when the Roosters forwards are tiring, as it will give us the best opportunities to test out their defensive liabilities.

It doesnt matter whether they are convincing or pretty, we are 2/2 which is a lot better than 0/2 regardless of what happens this week. A loss will not be doom and gloom unless it is a 50 pointer. No team will go through the season undefeated in fact most have been beaten already
Apart from the halves i cannot see any other positions where we should not be able to compete.

It will take quite a few rounds to find out how the Roosters will cope with the new rules. We will know more if the Broncos play as they have the last couple of weeks.
If we play a quick game again then i rate us a chance of an upset.
Sterlo was the only celebrity i saw last week to tip us against the Cowboys. He seems to see things in teams that the rest of us don't. He quite often tips an outsider to win a game. Must watch his show again this week

EDIT: Baiting

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT: Do not quote deleted posts

I put on my robe and wizard hat.

Everyone else was pausing for a moment, so I figured I may as well take part.

Is an announcement coming? Lol

Super Freak said:
Main reason? Hoffman.

I disagree with this.

When I look at both teams, the biggest difference between the two teams is that the Roosters are coming off a premiership victory and have been able to expand on their structures and combination. Meanwhile, Brisbane are coming off the worst season in the club's history, naturally they've had to alter their side and build new combinations. At this stage, I'm happy with the signs I'm seeing from these combinations but it's clear that it's going to take sometime for them to build and while I don't see Hoffman's future lying in the halves, I don't believe his placement there hinders the side as much as others seem to think.

Fans need to accept the haves and have nots.

We have a live-wire fullback, a very well balanced pack and a side that has a lot of pride and expectations.

We don't have experienced halves or combinations.

To accuse the team of not having a crack, is very off-base. It's effort that has gotten them over the line these past two weeks, when most pundits have written the side off. Perhaps that isn't what you meant, rather you'd like to see the team chance their arm and even that's occurred too, but the passes haven't always hit the mark and as a result, it's put the team under the pump. This is to be expected given how young these combinations are and I'm sure we'll see a more expansive gameplan as the season wears on.

On a moderator note, sorry for the clutter folks. Unfortunately, this is what happens when a troll posts so if you see something suspicious I implore all of you to simply report it and ignore it. As you can see, it just creates more work for us and messes up the topic.

I have since edited the posts to warn members of our expectations. Sorry for the confusion, my main concern was dealing with the offender asap.

Thank you for understanding.

Last edited:
few posts on twitter saying hannant is out? is this true or bs? havent seen anything official.

While it may not be the ideal situation, at least Hook is now forced to use his bench properly. Or he'll **** it up and use Thaiday as a FRF again and give Lowrie heaps of minutes in his place :shot:

yeah it excites me a bit to see a younger prop have a good run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Tim K
  • sooticus
  • LittleDavey
  • Mustafur
  • GCBRONCO
  • Wolfie
  • Johnny92
  • Lurker
  • Maddy
  • barker
  • Xzei
  • phoenix
  • BrisVegas
  • Battler
  • Strop
  • Morkel
  • Broncosarethebest
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.