Round 3 Discussion

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
If you watch the footage you clearly see that Klemmer has NOT YET made contact with Slater. Slaters leg is bent and he then straightens it in a kicking motion.

if Klemmer has made contact with Slater and received a boot to the head, i would agree that the Storm should have received the penalty. that was not the case here.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Go to the park and field a few high balls just like that and see where your leg ends up. I bet it's out in front of you, it's pretty much the only way to stay balanced

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Then why is it that every other fullback generally can keep their legs enclosed yet Slater's somehow more often than not are directed right at the opposition?

One hell of a gift...

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Probably the way he attacks the ball at speed and the height he gets.

It'd be an even greater talent if he somehow managed to time his jump, hang in the air watch the ball and the player coming towards him then time perfectly a kick to the head.

Last edited:
Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Doesn't take a lot to instinctively fend off potential defenders with your foot.

Either way, he's got to take it out of the kit bag quick smart.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
he threw his foot out there .... whether he meant to kick klemmer in the head is irrelevant, he made contact with the head. deserves suspension IMO.

FTR, i don't think he deliberately tried to kick him in the head, more than likely used his foot to keep defenders back, but Klemmer was unable to get out of the way

Twiztid

Twiztid

NRL Player
Apr 14, 2009
I see it almost like initiating the touch in touch football. Basically Slater was bracing for impact and not wanting to get smashed by a big forward ready to smash him when he lands or even possibly milking the penalty for being tackled in the air. The problem is the angle the motion happens was IMO both dangerous to himself but also the player coming in.

If this happened with him going up to contest a ball in traffic and using the foot as leverage (like an AFL player) then I have no issues. This was attacking and thus should follow the charges for attacking with your legs like defending a try. I actually thought his elbow (shoulder charge) to the head last week was worth some time, almost similar to Matt Prior's besides lateness.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
What a joke he was even penalised.

Like smith said - if he doesn't try to illegally tackle slater in the air he doesn't get hit in the head. The bad thing is that it probably still wasn't even the worst decision in the match lol. That Cronk no try.......Jesus Christ. The guy scored 3 defenders wide of the guy who was slightly touched by the decoy runner. Absolute bs.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Tony Williams - 10 runs for ~70m, and 12 tackles...playing 80 minutes. Gotta love him.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
T Williams has so much potential but is useless. Maybe he's just unfit and will get better as the season goes on but right now he's no better than any of the other no names.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
T Williams has so much potential but is useless. Maybe he's just unfit and will get better as the season goes on but right now he's no better than any of the other no names.

He's always just had size and nothing else IMO.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
High quality game that went down to the wire Bellamy and the Storm would be happy they got a real workout tonight. On the Slater call I thought it was a bit harsh on him, Slater just had eyes for the ball and the boot to the face was unintentional. The Bulldogs would get a real confidence boost ahead of next week after tonight, almost running the Storm of their feet in Melbourne without Graham, Kasiano, Pritchard and Barba. The storm were on the end of 3 rubbish calls the slater boot, Cooper Cronk's dissalowed try and the late tackle by Bromwich (i think).

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
What a joke he was even penalised.

Like smith said - if he doesn't try to illegally tackle slater in the air he doesn't get hit in the head. The bad thing is that it probably still wasn't even the worst decision in the match lol. That Cronk no try.......Jesus Christ. The guy scored 3 defenders wide of the guy who was slightly touched by the decoy runner. Absolute bs.

actually its not a joke ... for the last several years any player to make contact with another players head gets penalized. it doesn't matter if it is intentional or not.

personally i think he should sit out at least a week, because if he doesn't, then we will see every player to go up for a high ball stick their leg out to prevent a contest

J

Je$ter

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
If you watch the footage you clearly see that Klemmer has NOT YET made contact with Slater. Slaters leg is bent and he then straightens it in a kicking motion.

if Klemmer has made contact with Slater and received a boot to the head, i would agree that the Storm should have received the penalty. that was not the case here.

If he was really trying to kick him he would have donkey kicked him. He was jumping up maintaining his balance. Smith has a point re: contact in the air.

J

Je$ter

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
actually its not a joke ... for the last several years any player to make contact with another players head gets penalized. it doesn't matter if it is intentional or not.

personally i think he should sit out at least a week, because if he doesn't, then we will see every player to go up for a high ball stick their leg out to prevent a contest

Last several years = last 12 months.

Try jumping that high and not splaying your legs. Not too man fullbacks get that hang time.

J

Je$ter

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
The more I watch the replay the clearer it is that it should have been a storm penalty. Klezmer was basically under him when slater caught it and there was no way he was contesting the ball.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I hate the Storm. When he's not playing for Queensland I hate Slater. But FFS that was a bullshit penalty. The Bulldog douche wouldn't have run into his foot if he wasn't trying to take Slater out in the air. End of discussion.

Now, given the Broncos play Storm next week, I hope the judiciary suspend him for a week ;-)

J

Je$ter

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Doesn't take a lot to instinctively fend off potential defenders with your foot.

Either way, he's got to take it out of the kit bag quick smart.

Whilst he's in mid air catching a bomb. Clutching at straws a bit there.

If his foot wasn't out, Klemmer 100% tackles him in mid air. Bull shit penalty.

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • Bucking Beads
  • Wolfie
  • mitch222
  • Kev_Guz
  • Midean
  • Culhwch
  • Allo
  • Justwin
  • GCBRONCO
  • Wild Horse
  • Harry Sack
  • Galco
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Bish
  • jarro65
  • Big Del
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.