Round 4 - Broncos v Dragons - Pre Game Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cows and dogs were both average so I don't think we can say they were fantastic opponents

Fair enough but they were still 2 teams that everyone expects to be finalists and they have made the 8 for the last couple of years although from what I've seen from both they will battle to get there this year.

It's definitely a big game for the Dragons, the biggest they've had so far this year.

I suspect it will be close too, both have a lot to prove.

It's a battle of who will be exposed first - our halves or their forward pack.

Baiting

Last edited by a moderator:
I reckon it'll be our toughest game yet.

His playmaking at fullback is infinitely better than anything Hoffman has ever done, in that regard it makes more sense to play him there than Hoffman who looks incredibly unnatural. But I do agree, Hodges shouldn't be there.

bullshit mate! You'd be surprised to see Hoffman's Supercoach score of last week! 81!

Take a look at his stats: 2 try assists, a forced line drop out, 2 line break assists & 7 tackle breaks. 10 tackles made with only 2 missed...... that's a higher ranking 5/8th of a few.

Hoffa's stats and undoubtedly positive contribution to our performance v Roosters is all well and good, yet I am unconvinced that we need what is for mine, essentially another centre playing 5/8. That is how I see Hoffman atm. We are really playing with one half, not not 2 halves.

At the same time, he has started to look at his support runners more, and gave some good final passes. But my issue is that he doesn't read the play like a 5/8. His first instinct seems to me always to run first and try to break a tackle ... and get tackled and die with the ball. Sometimes, I feel he underestimates his speed off the mark and backs himself too often instead of looking to set up a play instead of run. He is certainly no Milford here.

He doesn't direct the play. He doesn't look to create opportunities, which means the burden is more on Hunt and maybe Macca, and it leaves one side of our attack lacking options and possibilities. He keeps compressing the outside corridor with his angled runs.

Yes, he is getting into his newfound position with a mindset that has to change, and it isn't easy, but I am still unconvinced he has it in him.

For mine, he didn't show much creativity when he played FB, so I find it hard to believe he will be the 5/8 we really need, if for no other reason than to balance our attack with options on both sides instead of mostly, one side.

I guess each game will show whether he is developing into a real 5/8 or not. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Hoffa's stats and undoubtedly positive contribution to our performance v Roosters is all well and good, yet I am unconvinced that we need what is for mine, essentially another centre playing 5/8. That is how I see Hoffman atm. We are really playing with one half, not not 2 halves.

At the same time, he has started to look at his support runners more, and gave some good final passes. But my issue is that he doesn't read the play like a 5/8. His first instinct seems to me always to run first and try to break a tackle ... and get tackled and die with the ball. Sometimes, I feel he underestimates his speed off the mark and backs himself too often instead of looking to set up a play instead of run. He is certainly no Milford here.

He doesn't direct the play. He doesn't look to create opportunities, which means the burden is more on Hunt and maybe Macca, and it leaves one side of our attack lacking options and possibilities. He keeps compressing the outside corridor with his angled runs.

Yes, he is getting into his newfound position with a mindset that has to change, and it isn't easy, but I am still unconvinced he has it in him.

For mine, he didn't show much creativity when he played FB, so I find it hard to believe he will be the 5/8 we really need, if for no other reason than to balance our attack with options on both sides instead of mostly, one side.

I guess each game will show whether he is developing into a real 5/8 or not. Fingers crossed.

Agreed.

Hoffman is certainly doing better at 6 than I thought he would, but he is still miles off a 6.

I'm happy for him to stay there but if he is going to be the 6 for the rest of the year he simply has to pass more. We are only 3 rounds in and I reckon he has easily blown half a dozen (if not more) tries by his refusal to pass.

Agreed.

Hoffman is certainly doing better at 6 than I thought he would, but he is still miles off a 6.

I'm happy for him to stay there but if he is going to be the 6 for the rest of the year he simply has to pass more. We are only 3 rounds in and I reckon he has easily blown half a dozen (if not more) tries by his refusal to pass.

Yeah the difference between him and Norman being his running game actually seems to pose a threat.

And that ball to Reed last week, clutch play, was perfect.

The kicking game is obviously concerning for everyone involved.

Josh Hoffman actually had a pretty good kicking game last week.

This game is intriguing tonight, two teams that weren’t going to start well and for mine they’ve both been the most well adapted to new rules. Both sides have made use of lots of dummy half running –Dragons are the best at it and off loads. They also have smaller more mobile packs which are getting quick play the balls which obviously compliment the dummy half running.

Both teams have shown good planning and coaching to go into the season knowing the new rules meant smaller guys were going to be key and that’s why Parker is where he is, it was always the plan. It hasn’t stifled his offloading 7 for the year and 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] most in the competition.

Agreed.

Yeah the difference between him and Norman being his running game actually seems to pose a threat.

And that ball to Reed last week, clutch play, was perfect.

The kicking game is obviously concerning for everyone involved.

sounds like Dugan will play with quinlan in the halves.

I got $100 on the Broncos to win tonight at $2.10. Come on boys.

bullshit mate! You'd be surprised to see Hoffman's Supercoach score of last week! 81!

Take a look at his stats: 2 try assists, a forced line drop out, 2 line break assists & 7 tackle breaks. 10 tackles made with only 2 missed...... that's a higher ranking 5/8th of a few.

Comparing players by Supercoach scores is bullshit, mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • MrMoore
  • Lostboy
  • Old Mate
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.