Round 4 - Broncos v Dragons - Pre Game Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hala is too much hard work. He is also a very simple one dimensional football player. Hell, he doesn't even have footwork. It's smash and hope that he doesn't drop the ball.

Spectacular to watch, but he requires a perfect combination of a hooker that knows when to use him, a tired opposition forward pack, a motivated Hala, a fit Hala.

Would much prefer someone how is more productive.
He's a prop, whose one dimension is that he runs the ball fast and hard. Yeah let's get rid of him.

It shouldn't be Vidot to the bench, it should be Reed. How amazing does this back line look:

1. Barba
2. Vidot
3. Hoffman
4. Copley
5. Maranta
6. Hodges
7. Hunt

And a few weeks later it should be

1. Barba
2. Vidot
3. Kahu/Hodges
4. Copley
5. Hoffman
6. Hodges/Kahu
7. Hunt

He's a prop, whose one dimension is that he runs the ball fast and hard. Yeah let's get rid of him.

Gallen, Parker, Merrin, Fifita, Tamou... What position do they play?

The modern prop needs footwork, an offload, some attacking nouce, and ability to win the wrestle and return a quick play the ball, play long minutes.

HALA SMASH!!!! BAM BAM!!!! HALA GOOD

The modern prop needs footwork, an offload, some attacking nouce, and ability to win the wrestle and return a quick play the ball, play long minutes.

Not really. Each TEAM should have a prop that can do that. They should also have a couple of no-nonsense starting or impact forwards who are just required to stomp the shit out of the opposition.

Well the first three alternate between lock and prop, but you're right. We should send Hala packing and use his 100k to attract one of the best props in the world to play 10-20 minutes a game for us.

Trust me, I've wanted Hala to work. He's a fucking unit.

But 2 enourmous hit ups off kick offs in 4 seasons in exchange for mediocracy the rest of the time isn't going to cut it.

He's not the X-Factor we're looking for off the bench.

Trust me, I've wanted Hala to work. He's a fucking unit.

But 2 enourmous hit ups off kick offs in 4 seasons in exchange for mediocracy the rest of the time isn't going to cut it.

He's not the X-Factor we're looking for off the bench.
To be fair, one of those seasons was only 29 minutes long due to injury, and ended after a big-ass linebreak against Melbourne. I think if you forget about all the massive potential he's supposed to have his first grade performances are more solid than mediocre.

He's only played 31 games, he's not on big money, he doesn't miss that many tackles, he doesn't concede that many penalties, he rarely drops the ball (in first grade anyway) his metres per run and metres per minute are very good. Yeah he hasn't set the world on fire, but his appearances in first grade have been decent. I could understand thinking he's overhyped or not living up to his potential, but he provides more impact and go-forward than most other guys in his price bracket, and certainly more than the other guys competing for that last prop-spot for us.

To be fair, one of those seasons was only 29 minutes long due to injury, and ended after a big-ass linebreak against Melbourne. I think if you forget about all the massive potential he's supposed to have his first grade performances are more solid than mediocre.

He's only played 31 games, he's not on big money, he doesn't miss that many tackles, he doesn't concede that many penalties, he rarely drops the ball (in first grade anyway) his metres per run and metres per minute are very good. Yeah he hasn't set the world on fire, but his appearances in first grade have been decent. I could understand thinking he's overhyped or not living up to his potential, but he provides more impact and go-forward than most other guys in his price bracket, and certainly more than the other guys competing for that last prop-spot for us.

This. Hala provides, IMO anyway, much more impact off the bench than Todd Lowrie.

I'd much rather Lowrie in the 70-80 minute mark when we're defending a narrow lead.

I would prefer Oates as he also offers us something in attack. And in any case, Lowrie and Hala are completely different players playing completely different roles.

We have been lacking a prop who can bend the line as well as Hala can at his best.

I like our game when the forwards pass the ball more than just bashing one out up the middle. We have done that so well in patches.

Make the ball do the work. Create space for that to happen. Pass, not die with the ball.

I can see Hunt getting the ball from Hannant or McGuire say, then running an angle, with Barba looming in support on either inside or outside.

In any case, what I want to see so much in this game is Barba given more opportunities, maybe taking a leaf out of the Cronk-Slater book of tricks.

... and Hoffman to pass the ball more than 3 times

Hoffman is getting better and will continue to improve.

^ This

Something I like about him is that he is willing to take on the line and run the ball hard, can hold his line defensively and is improving. He still lacks gamebreaking ability imo and Milford coming will solve that issue and Hoffman will go back to the wing.

Broncos Backline 2015 (Currently)

1: Barba
2: Hoffman
3: Hodges
4: Copley (Sorry Jack I thing Dale offers more and has been in better form atm)
5: Vidot
6: Milford
7: Hunt (doubt we will get DCE)

That is a pretty good backline if you ask me and if all were in form it would prove a real handful for any team.

I still think we'll lose Hoffman for 2015, leaving room for Reed and Copley, although Dale might have to settle for the wing until Hodges gets injured again or Reed falls out of favour.

What worries me is how our defence out wide was exposed and mutilated by the Roosters. That would not have been lost on Widdop and I foresee real danger with his combination out wide with Morris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• MrTickyMcG
  • Spoon
  • FACTHUNT
  • Organix
  • Aldo
  • lynx000
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Foordy
  • Fatboy
  • Lurker
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.