PRE-GAME Round 4 - Broncos vs Roosters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm beginning to think Seibs is hexed..............hasn't copped a break with injuries and suspensions since he started.

Yep, not sure why I engaged with you. I remember that Macca obviously stole your high school girlfriend and you can't have an actual conversation without letting your bias get in the way. The point was that two options would have been nice and you have not argued that point at all.

Having literally anyone else take over at hooker is a terrible game plan considering the importance of the position. McCullough might not have been the best hooker in the game but if you think anyone can just jump in at hooker and give it a red hot go and be better you're delusional and I think your opinion about anything that occurs on a rugby league field should never be taken seriously again because you obviously have no idea.
You appear to be very "biased" towards ignoring a well tried pattern of failure. How about we all move on with what we've got, and not dwell in the past. I think we will all credit you with being the last to go down clinging to this ship that's now sunk.

Oh, and no, it's nothing personal against Macca: I've said many times I think he's one of the best role models off the field we've ever had at the club. I wish him all the best.

Last edited:
I have no issue with training the future. I'm all for Corey Paix getting his shot. But the facts still remain he's unproven at anything close to 80 minutes at even Queensland Cup level in the role. Given that is the case we have to provide coverage for him during the game and that likely takes another of our 'future' out of a role they have a future in and forces them to fill in playing a role they have no future in, so in that sense it actually negatively impacts our player development if that is supposed to be the focus here.

Again, I'm certainly not arguing that Macca had a future here, I'm simply pointing out that someone like Hopoate or Bullemor has no business covering Dummy Half duties and in this exact circumstance we would have undoubtedly been better off to utilise Macca.

Last and only time he's played 80 minutes at hooker was U18 Origin in 2018. His defence under the posts with four minutes to go sticks with me- Utoikamanu threw him off easily to win the game. Poor Paix was gassed.

Tough gig but he's definitely improved this year from last year and his trial and round one form was better than what I saw last season. He got 60 minutes in round one at hooker and was strong. His decision making had improved from Redcliffe in 2019.

He has Bullemor and Nui from that Queensland side so they might be able to conjure up something.

Richards too has complete faith in him and made him hooker for Queensland, they had SImpkin in the squad and he didn't play him at all.

Last edited:
Not much point trying to be captain hindsight, as it’s true, Macca would have been helpful this week. Meh, like someone else said, so would have Roberts last year.

Time to move forward.
Still not the point. McCullough was simply an example of someone who would be helpful. I have to wonder what Seibolds plan was if Turpin did pick up an injury as Paix isn’t an 80 minute player. Maybe Daniel O’Dowell was right when he was telling people Staggs was going to play hooker eventually

You appear to be very "biased" towards ignoring a well tried pattern of failure. How about we all move on with what we've got, and not dwell in the past. I think we will all credit you with being the last to go down clinging to this ship that's now sunk.

Oh, and no, it's nothing personal against Macca: I've said many times I think he's one of the best role models off the field we've ever had at the club. I wish him all the best.
You’ll get dizzy with all that spinning you’re doing

Don't take any notice of me on this, but my understanding is Niu is vying for fullback, not wing. That's also what Badel is saying in the CM

So this week we're going to have a second half fullback interchange instead of wing is what you're thinking? Either way, interchanging backs in the second half is an odd choice but I hope Seibs can prove that it's a viable tactic if that's the way he goes.

Pretty sure in the presser the interchange was about getting Herbie on at the 55 min mark rather than nominating that Arthurs would be subbed for Herbie.

Probably got to the point where he wanted Herbie out there and figuring out who to sub off... I think he did the same with Perese last year.

Not that I agree with it but the original concept may have been along the lines of Ponga's first origin game where he came on as a lock to float around the middle, but Arthurs was pulled instead (TBH I didn't really see what he was doing wrong to get hooked compared to others like Staggs and Hoppa).

If a winger can handle the defensive load in the middle it could be a useful tactic to have them floating around the middle as a second fullback

Last edited:
It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to have a Macca ready to go for this game.

Welcome to the deep end, Paix.

Pretty sure in the presser the interchange was about getting Herbie on at the 55 min mark rather than nominating that Arthurs would be subbed for Herbie.

In the presser Seibs said that Arthars knew he had 55 minutes out there and that through the week they'd considered the Herbie switch tactic as a ploy against Sivo, so it was definitely premeditated.

I agree that if we do carry a back on the bench, they should be used like Ponga was in his first Origin, but the tactic Seibs used makes no sense to me. A planned wing interchange, it's different that's for sure but I'm not a fan. I wonder if he's got a similar plan for Tesi Niu tomorrow.

Niu could fill in at hooker no problem has also spent plenty of time in the halves as a junior

Hooker is completely different to the halves. Defending in the middle is a lot different and more challenging. Hookers are one of the most fittest players in the team normally.

Speak for yourself. I'm expecting an improvement on last week, and far from ruling out a win.
[automerge]1591145260[/automerge]
Ok, now I'm beginning to think you may have really lost your mind. I'm not being dramatic when I say that if the Roosters cannot overcome this Broncos side pretty comfortably then I'd happily put a red line through their Premiership credentials for the year.

Last and only time he's played 80 minutes at hooker was U18 Origin in 2018. His defence under the posts with four minutes to go sticks with me- Utoikamanu threw him off easily to win the game. Poor Paix was gassed.

Tough gig but he's definitely improved this year from last year and his trial and round one form was better than what I saw last season. He got 60 minutes in round one at hooker and was strong. His decision making had improved from Redcliffe in 2019.

He has Bullemor and Nui from that Queensland side so they might be able to conjure up something.

Richards too has complete faith in him and made him hooker for Queensland, they had SImpkin in the squad and he didn't play him at all.
I'm absolutely happy to back him for us on Thursday night. I applaud the selection. Personally I think he made perfect sense to be coming off the Bench for us last Round to help out Turpin and it was baffling that he didn't get selected.

What I have an issue with is us being forced to debut him in the role with not a shred of proper assistance to cover him off the Bench, knowing full well he hasn't played anything close to 80 minutes in the role at so much as Queensland Cup level, let alone at NRL level, let alone at NRL level under these new rule changes that test out your middle players endurance levels more than ever.

To pin our hopes on getting 80 minutes from Paix at NRL level seems fanciful at best, and the alternative of dragging in a similarly raw Backrower like Bullemor or Hopoate to cover him seems equally unlikely to end well.

I don't understand how a Coach who had Turpin, McCullough and Segeyaro all playing Dummy Half in the same team at times last season can suddenly seem almost allergic to having more than one Dummy Half in the side this season.

Apparently Paix has gone down at training and Seibold will be starting at Hooker as a player-coach.

Maybe carrigan can spend some time at 9 seems to be someone who plays well no matter where it is then either hoppa or offa can move to 13 when paix needs a break.

Are we thinking Paix will start in the 9? Or someone like hoppa will start and paix comes off the bench?
Tbh I think I’d rather roll the dice and let pix start and have someone come in for him around that 30min mark
Could it be worth having both Paix and Dearden in the side? Milford or Dearden could go to 9 and help Paix out? Just chucking ideas out there..

Last edited:
Don't take any notice of me on this, but my understanding is Niu is vying for fullback, not wing. That's also what Badel is saying in the CM:

"Niu, 18, will come off the bench, likely at fullback, while Paix is set to replace injured hooker Jake Turpin. "

I could be wrong but Who carries a substitute fullback? Isaako is fine there for 80 minutes. We need an impact dummy half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• jarro65
  • winslow_wong
  • Galah
  • Hurrijo
  • scobie
  • BroncosAlways
  • Allo
  • Skyblues87
  • Fozz
  • broncos4life
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.