vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m also pretty sure his motor was actually his big wrap coming through under 20s as well. I think I remember reading or hearing that the excitement was he could go longer than anyone else and was quite hyped by some about it.
Yeah I'm pretty sure he quite often played 80 mins at prop in NYC and was making huge meters... it's why lock, in the current third prop role, is thought to be his best position.

Agree with everything you have said here, especially the antagonist comment. The NRL is now about scripted storylines, heroes and villains, outcomes that they believe the audience want to see that will rate the highest.

We are the Maleficent in every storyline. Integral to it but no-one wants us to do well. Someone to make the good guys look good and everyone can rejoice at their demise.
This 100%.

As a general list:

Good Guys
Raiders
Titans
Knights
Warriors
Cowboys
Eels
Panthers
Rabbitohs
Dragons
Tigers

Bad Guys
Broncos
Bulldogs
Sharks
Sea Eagles
Storm
Roosters

I'd qualify this by saying the list can be slightly fluid and some clubs move back and forth. For example, Souths are in their bad books at the moment but they're generally good guys. The Roosters have become the absolute poster child for the game, basically taking that role from Souths over the last couple of seasons, but prior to that they were probably bad guys. These two clubs have swapped for now essentially.

The Bulldogs recent seasons of player misbehaviour has them firmly entrenched in the bad guys list, but they were probably spending time on the Good Guys list only a few years back.

A few things are obviously always set in stone - the NRL head honchos and media will always be in love with teams like Newcastle, Parramatta, the Tigers and Souths in all but the rarest of circumstances (like right now - Wayne Bennett is there). Similarly, the Broncos, Eagles and Storm will never, ever be their 'good guys'. Also, wherever Wayne Bennett is working will almost always be considered a 'bad guy' club regardless of how they were viewed prior to his arrival. Good guy clubs like the Knights can recover almost instantly when Bennett leaves, whereas bad guy clubs like Brisbane are doomed regardless of Bennett being there or not.

Last edited:
Courier Mail is reporting Tesi Nui is likely to make his debut off the bench as a super-sub. Farnworth to right wing, Arthars to centre (for Staggs), Bullemor to the left edge, and Paix to 18th man. Croft and Carrigan to co-captain.

LIKELY SQUAD: 1 Jamayne Isaako, 2 Corey Oates, 3 Jesse Arthars, 4 Darius Boyd, 5 Herbie Farnworth, 6 Anthony Milford, 7 Brodie Croft (c), 8 Tom Flegler, 9 Jake Turpin, 10 Payne Haas, 11 Ethan Bullemor, 12 Jamil Hopoate, 13 Pat Carrigan (c). Bench: 14 Tesi Niu, 15 Joe Ofahengaue, 16 Rhys Kennedy, 17 Matt Lodge. 18th man: Cory Paix.
I like the "1,2" punch those wingers give usat the start of sets but I'd like to see Oates relieve one of the 2nd rowers for a spell towards the end of halve to give tesi nui a chance to use his attack without being to exposed in defence. Position him on Boyd's side to learn from him and use Boyd's ability to defend to cover any mishaps.
Other than that there's not a lot that you can do to help our second row stocks.

I really hope we actually use Tesi correctly on Thursday night rather then bringing him on for the last 10mins of the game, once it’s already over. Herbie needed to come on in the last 15 or so in the first half against Parra, his speed and strength in the ruck would have been so dangerous, especially around fatigued middles.
Seibs has confirmed Tesi will be in the 17, so use him. Take a chance on him if you’re going to name him.

I really hope we actually use Tesi correctly on Thursday night rather then bringing him on for the last 10mins of the game, once it’s already over. Herbie needed to come on in the last 15 or so in the first half against Parra, his speed and strength in the ruck would have been so dangerous, especially around fatigued middles.
Seibs has confirmed Tesi will be in the 17, so use him. Take a chance on him if you’re going to name him.

You and I both know this is exactly how he’ll be used. There is no plan for him other than to fill the player list. Our coaching, planning and tactics have sucked for so long now. I’m over the bash and barge style we clearly aren’t suited to.

You and I both know this is exactly how he’ll be used. There is no plan for him other than to fill the player list. Our coaching, planning and tactics have sucked for so long now. I’m over the bash and barge style we clearly aren’t suited to.
Yep, you’re right.
I like Seibs but I think what could be his undoing is his structure. He lives by it, coaches by it, and I don’t think he is prepared to change things on the run/in the game if it isn’t to the script of the game plan.
We are such a structured team and these new rules work against structured teams.
The majority of players in our team are unstructured styled players. Look at Milf and Fifita. They are at their best when they just play eyes up footy.
The coaching staff need to adjust to these rule ASAP or we will get left behind.

I'm not sure we can say definitively that Seibs is structure driven coach... look at Souths in 2018 they were celebrated for playing eyes up ad lib football. We can't assume that was carry over from the previous regime as the previous coach was Maguire who implemented a bash and barge through the middle gameplan... and was criticized for not being able to adapt his team.

I think what Seibold ultimately wants is a team of smart footy players... I think he wants to implement a general philosophy, which appears to be quick play through the middle, and then have smart footy players that are able to identify and exploit an overlap or deficiency in the defense when the damage is done in the middle.

I don't think we have an issue of trying to implement a structure. Rather I think the issue is getting players out of a structure mindset... most of these players are coming from Bennettball which is almost entirely structure based, whereas I think Seibs is trying to teach them how to play footy and how to react to situations.

Looking at our team I think he is getting there in terms of genuine smart footy players.

Staggs (genuine footy player)
Herbie (genuine footy player that covers everywhere in the back 5 and can adapt)
Carrigan (genuine footy player and has been showing this year a sneaky little pass at the line)
Lodge (smart middle forward that has a bit of ball playing)
Croft (I think he is a good heads up player that can exploit defences when he sees something (not unexpected coming from a storm system).. he likes to run and already has 3 try assists and a try in a little over 2 games... I think his only real issue is a lack of penetration with his long kicking, but if Ben Hunt can improve kicking then my hope is that Croft can as well)
Arthurs (seems a flexible backline player that covers everywhere in the back 5... good depth)
Bullemore (another genuine footy player that posters have raised as being smart on the footy field)

I think some of the guys who may be a little slower to adapting are guys like:
Haas but he's an absolute machine, also has dedication to become better and is a sponge for knowledge of the game... I think his game will evolve massively as time goes on

Fifi and TPJ are physical weapons, who I think are taking a little longer to "learn" a watch and react style, but their talent and physicality is overcoming that.

I think Milf's headspace is in too much of a "playmaker" mindset... I think he sits back a little too much waiting for the game to come to him and set things up for his edge, when he should just get in there close to the ruck and attack the line. Don't worry about setting up plays for your edge just get in there and attack... Dearden on the other hand does appear to be a footy player with a knack for taking on the line.

Isaako probably isn't his preferred fullback, but he had Bird lined up who is a genuine footy player... it seems he also rates Nui, but he was able to utilise Johnston at Souths so he may be happy with an Isaako or Nui at 1.

If you have a team of smart footy players you can give them a role to execute, but they're also aware of the situation around them and can adapt on the fly.

Injuries and suspensions are hitting us hard, but the start of the year was promising in my eyes.

Now they need to adapt to a new strategy again with the revised rules... it would have been preferential to restart with a titans, dragons, warriors, etc. to get a feel for the new game, but we aren't the dragons so we don't get any leg ups from the NRL.

Instead our draw is Eels, Roosters, Manly, Knights before we finally get a reprieve with Titans, Warriors and Dogs within a 4 week window.

Hopefully we can pick up a few wins in the next 3 weeks with the cavalry and a softer draw coming after that.

looks like Turpin is in doubt for Thursday night??? - may force Paix onto bench as backup which is a good idea anyway

Paix training at hooker. Turpin still sore. We might have two debutants Thu.

Paix training at hooker. Turpin still sore. We might have two debutants Thu.
Meanwhile, down in Newcastle, this bloke is laughing to himself...

He may not be what we need long term, but boy he’d be handy right about now 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
Wonder if this means Kobe Hetherington isn't considered a long term prospect?

Are we allowed to select Hetherington? We’re fucked if Paix has to play the full 80

If Turpin is out and Paix debuts, then Siebold needs to forget about Nui and put another hooker on the bench to cover for him. No way could he possibly go the full 80 on debut.

If Turpin is out and Paix debuts, then Siebold needs to forget about Nui and put another hooker on the bench to cover for him. No way could he possibly go the full 80 on debut.
Looks like it has been confirmed that Turps is out. Totally agree with you. 80 mins is way too much to ask of a debutante.

We’d be just about odds-on for the youngest and most inexperienced team ever?

Trying to stay positive but this is going to be a fucking bloodbath

I'm not sure we can say definitively that Seibs is structure driven coach... look at Souths in 2018 they were celebrated for playing eyes up ad lib football. We can't assume that was carry over from the previous regime as the previous coach was Maguire who implemented a bash and barge through the middle gameplan... and was criticized for not being able to adapt his team.

I think what Seibold ultimately wants is a team of smart footy players... I think he wants to implement a general philosophy, which appears to be quick play through the middle, and then have smart footy players that are able to identify and exploit an overlap or deficiency in the defense when the damage is done in the middle.

I don't think we have an issue of trying to implement a structure. Rather I think the issue is getting players out of a structure mindset... most of these players are coming from Bennettball which is almost entirely structure based, whereas I think Seibs is trying to teach them how to play footy and how to react to situations.

Looking at our team I think he is getting there in terms of genuine smart footy players.

Staggs (genuine footy player)
Herbie (genuine footy player that covers everywhere in the back 5 and can adapt)
Carrigan (genuine footy player and has been showing this year a sneaky little pass at the line)
Lodge (smart middle forward that has a bit of ball playing)
Croft (I think he is a good heads up player that can exploit defences when he sees something (not unexpected coming from a storm system).. he likes to run and already has 3 try assists and a try in a little over 2 games... I think his only real issue is a lack of penetration with his long kicking, but if Ben Hunt can improve kicking then my hope is that Croft can as well)
Arthurs (seems a flexible backline player that covers everywhere in the back 5... good depth)
Bullemore (another genuine footy player that posters have raised as being smart on the footy field)

I think some of the guys who may be a little slower to adapting are guys like:
Haas but he's an absolute machine, also has dedication to become better and is a sponge for knowledge of the game... I think his game will evolve massively as time goes on

Fifi and TPJ are physical weapons, who I think are taking a little longer to "learn" a watch and react style, but their talent and physicality is overcoming that.

I think Milf's headspace is in too much of a "playmaker" mindset... I think he sits back a little too much waiting for the game to come to him and set things up for his edge, when he should just get in there close to the ruck and attack the line. Don't worry about setting up plays for your edge just get in there and attack... Dearden on the other hand does appear to be a footy player with a knack for taking on the line.

Isaako probably isn't his preferred fullback, but he had Bird lined up who is a genuine footy player... it seems he also rates Nui, but he was able to utilise Johnston at Souths so he may be happy with an Isaako or Nui at 1.

If you have a team of smart footy players you can give them a role to execute, but they're also aware of the situation around them and can adapt on the fly.

Injuries and suspensions are hitting us hard, but the start of the year was promising in my eyes.

Now they need to adapt to a new strategy again with the revised rules... it would have been preferential to restart with a titans, dragons, warriors, etc. to get a feel for the new game, but we aren't the dragons so we don't get any leg ups from the NRL.

Instead our draw is Eels, Roosters, Manly, Knights before we finally get a reprieve with Titans, Warriors and Dogs within a 4 week window.

Hopefully we can pick up a few wins in the next 3 weeks with the cavalry and a softer draw coming after that.
Totally agree, I've watched and read multiple interviews of seibs talking about not wanting to play structured attacking football. Wanting the team to offload and be unpredictable etc. So i don't know where everyone gets this structured crap from about seibs. It's unfortunately going to take some time to bash this into them. I think the only time he's talked about keeping to your structures etc has been in defense.

Our front row really needs to stand up on Thursday if we are to be any chance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• matthewransom34@ic
  • Sproj
  • Mustafur
  • Bucking Beads
  • Financeguy
  • GCBRONCO
  • winslow_wong
  • Santa
  • Thelmus
  • Foordy
  • Manifesto
  • Brocko
  • broncs30
  • Manofoneway
  • ivanhungryjak
  • mystico
  • jd87
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Griffo
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.