Round 4 - Dragons v Broncos - Post Match Discussion

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Hoffman is finding his feet...as a winger playing infield. Not as a half.

Brett

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 27, 2013
Hunt was good last night. Not like last week where he was scoring tries and busting the line, but more in a controlling the game, step up when needed kind of way. His combination with Macca this year (god I hope they both stay injury free), will be the reason we make the finals. Best thing is, our spine will remain unchanged at Origin time. Barba, Hunt, Hoffman, Macca won't be picked (you'd think Barba won't be picked unless there are major injury concerns for QLD). Most of our forward pack will be missing - you'd think Parker, Thaiday and Gillett will all be gone, but blokes like Moose and Hodges will be there and it'll mean guys like Wallace, Oates, Hala et al, will all get a chance to shine.

Sorry, I got off track there with Origin stuff.

We leaked 2 too many tries and our left side defence needs to be fixed immediately.

Apart from that, I am extremely happy with the effort from basically everyone. We really look like a different side this year. The way we're playing at the moment, really reminds of the days when the Broncos would challenge every single team, every week. While you're watching them play, you knew we were never out of a game and that at any time one of our classy players would do something amazing and we'd get home. I get that feeling again now watching them play. I'm not as nervous as I used to be and I have far more confidence that we'll win each game.

Couldn't be happier. Roll on the Eels. **** I hope we put 40 on Norman.

Last edited:
Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
St. George can't play.

Discuss.

Damn you Pete ....that was going to be my opening line.

Stgeorgecantplay_zps455e2148.jpg

88to2006Glorydays

88to2006Glorydays

NYC Player
Jul 9, 2013
Barba - He's trying hard, just not electrifying yet, it will come.
Vidot - Yes he bombed a try but another massive game, what a buy he is.
Reed - What has happened? Arm grabs, missed tackles, lucky it appears Copley is injured, he should be on the bench.
Copley - Some great runs again but also some mistakes and injured, still a mile ahead of Reed.
Maranta - Another solid game, he actually reminds me of Tate under the high ball defensively.
Hoffman - Still running to much but taking on more responsibility, I'm warming to him.
Hunt - Another very good game, offered a lot in attack and outstanding in defense, backed up last week nicely.
McGuire - Best game this year, ran with energy every time and a very high workrate.
McCullough - After four high quality games, I feel confident saying he has arrived, gun effort again and combining well with Hunt.
Parker - What would we do without him?
Glenn - Tries hard, doesn't let you down but maybe better off the bench.
Thaiday - Welcome back Slammin Sam, another massive game.
Gillett - What a game, in everything, well done.

Oates - Not much game time but some good runs and defense, he will be a superstar.
Kennedy - Just not giving as much as expected, quick but drops even quicker sometimes and his carry scares me.
Lowrie - What does he offer? Only thing I can think of everyone underestimates him.
Wallace - Good game, would love to see it consistently but he has a future.

I agree with all of the above 100%. Good team performance. Hunt, Thaiday, Macca and Vidot are brilliant for us. I can't see how Reed will keeps his spot when Hodges returns although I think he's a Griffin favourite and it will probably be Maranta or Vidot that goes back to the QLD Cup. Lowrie offers nothing. We have no need for two back rowers not the bench. Bring back Hala.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
I've got to give props to 2 players that I don't usually commend that much, first off, Ben Hunt, he played great last week and he backed it up with another solid performance, nothing spectacular, but solid.

Andrew McCullough, our best player over the first 4 weeks, really happy with his performances this year, let's hope Griffin doesn't put Granville on the bench and ruin his mojo.

I've also got to admit that Hunt could have easily had 4 forward passes last night, but he got away with 3 of them, needs to work on that aspect of his game.

M

mieko

QCup Player
Aug 25, 2011
What a game. Hunt and Macca are really starting to form together and control the team around the field. Hunts kicking game is getting better with each game which is the one area that needed work. Thaiday is outstanding so far as is Gillete. Parker, as always great. Glen also is having a great start to the season. While doing nothing flashy, he is still there making the metres and making many tackles, well done.

Hoffman in the halves is just killing me. While fairly good in defense, his attack is very one dimensional. Opposition teams will just know that he will run it and killing any outside chances, just bloody pass once in a while. The one pass he did last week resulted in a great try. He's got to mix it up a bit more and not just constantly try and break the line himself. Seems to be a bit of a fish out of water where he is but hey, we are winning so.....what do you do.

Reed...who knows what's going on there. Will be lucky ( on current form ) to be there once Hodges returns for his couple of games, whenever that is.

Maranta again another great game. Really backing himself more which is paying off.

Great win.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
We leaked 2 too many tries, IMO and our left side defence needs to be fixed immediately.

That's my only concern at the moment. Our defence currently sits on either end of the spectrum. One minute it's aggressive and strong...then next, it's soft and fragile.

Still not a fan of Stephen Kearney.

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
Don't forget Reed had a shoulder reconstruction over the off season. Everyone is forgiving of barba and his injury, how about some grace for Reed. He's normally a good defensive centre, so he's obviously got to rebuild his shoulder strength and confidence

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
Anyone wondering what Cameron Smith would look like in a Broncos jersey got to see it last night. Great game from McCullough.

couldnt agree more. he looked very cameron smith last night

before cammac and co go get mad, NO i am not getting ahead of myself. i am not saying he IS cameron smith.

very good game though ;) if last night becomes his standard week in week out then we will have a very good hooker for the long term.

Brett

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 27, 2013
That's my only concern at the moment. Our defence currently sits on either end of the spectrum. One minute it's aggressive and strong...then next, it's soft and fragile.

Still not a fan of Stephen Kearney.

Our defensive structure this year is 50 times better than last year. Scramble is great, ruck defence is a thousand times better too. I think as [MENTION=1973]mrslong[/MENTION] said, Reed's shoulder is obviously bothering him quite a lot, or he doesn't have confidence in it yet. His slide seems good, but his one on one shots are actually deplorable. Hoffman being new to the position too, doesn't slide well enough quite yet to help Reed out.

It will get better, it just needs time. But, for Reed, I think he probably only has 2 or 3 more games till Hodges is back (barring any injury to Copley).

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Is there any news on Copley ....he was replaced late in the game. Seemed to be limping....?

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
pretty sure hodges is back next friday. they said the return date is set but its a 'secret'.

M

mieko

QCup Player
Aug 25, 2011
Don't forget Reed had a shoulder reconstruction over the off season. Everyone is forgiving of barba and his injury, how about some grace for Reed. He's normally a good defensive centre, so he's obviously got to rebuild his shoulder strength and confidence

Yeah true but honestly, that is all he had going for him in that he is an ok defender, he offers not much in attack for a centre.

As well for Barba, they will both be injured for quite some time (not 100%) and play quite tentatively hence letting past attackers, Reed, and not moving as freely with exceptional agility, Barba.

i guess we just have to get used to if for this year.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Reed is definitely below par, but everytime I've gone back, I've remembered a big play or two that generally gets glossed over in the wash up.

Like last night, that grubber basically changed the course of the game.

He still needs to shape up, but those plays are keeping him in the side for mine.

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Last night was almost a game of Nines, not a lot to take away from it other than the 2 points.

We should have carried on the game and put them to the sword but predictably they went to sleep from the 20min mark and made things difficult for themselves.

Our defense was poor and looked panicked with not a lot of communication going on between defenders.

McCullough was outstanding and really lead the side around, Hunt was quiet for the most part.

Attack is improving but the Dragons defense was disgraceful.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
Hunt was quiet for the most part..

think he had more subtle impact this game. a few times he shaped to the inside before going wide which created space for the backs to work with. was just little things but i think it was a bit of confidence coming through in his game.

he's improving every week which is the main thing for me.

M

mieko

QCup Player
Aug 25, 2011
Reed is definitely below par, but everytime I've gone back, I've remembered a big play or two that generally gets glossed over in the wash up.

Like last night, that grubber basically changed the course of the game.

He still needs to shape up, but those plays are keeping him in the side for mine.

What grubber was that? I thought Gillette put that thru for Copley, may be wrong.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
In the second half to force the goal line drop out.

He's had a couple of plays like that in the past month or so.

Put through a grubber against the Bulldogs which earned the Broncos a penalty.

Took a pearler of a reflex catch on a JT kick to prevent a goal line drop out/potential try.

etc.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Pablo
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Galah
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.