Round 4 - Dragons v Broncos - Post Match Discussion

M

mieko

QCup Player
Aug 25, 2011
Fair enough but hardly big plays. That reflex catch though was pretty impressive.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
They all add up and he's pulling them off on a consistent enough basis.

It may not be good enough to keep him in the team, but my point is, he's still making a contribution and isn't a complete liability. Does need to step it up.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
No one thought the pass to Morris was forward?

That flick-over-the-head from Gillett was so Casey McGuire in the '06 GF.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Fair enough but hardly big plays. That reflex catch though was pretty impressive.

The one last night completely swung the momentum in our favour. If that's not a big play I'm not sure what is

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
No one thought the pass to Morris was forward?

That flick-over-the-head from Gillett was so Casey McGuire in the '06 GF.

I felt like I went through the exact same range of emotions like Sully did during that Copley passage...

susto-dois.gif

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
It's a good thing Thaiday manged to get to it in time. Brett Morris was under the posts if he didn't..

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Copley only had cramp s last night.

uptheguts

uptheguts

QCup Player
Oct 24, 2013
I reallly enjoyed that win. Great effort all round by the boys. Scoring A few tries should give them confidence for future games and I think winning is about 30% confidence. Hunt looks like a genuine half back now. Hoffman is still not a 5/8 and playing out of position is not helping his form. Sam and all the fowards are going great. I actually thought Barba was running more freely last night and very nearly made a few breaks. I think just his presence worries opposing teams. Copely and both wingers were good. Reed was just OK but as long as we keep winning I am going to lay off him for a while. Our defense is greatly improved especially goal line defense which is a real critical part of the game now.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Straight from the horses mouth as well.

Pete Badel might be out of a job at this rate.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
A bucking beads exclusive

Dat.

Boring answer: Beads posted a random tweet which Dale responded to personally.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
Of course I take your point, but my point was more that if we had a creative 5/8: Widdop, Milford, Foran just to name a few, we would have put on another 20 points at least on the Dragoons.

I will say it again, we are playing with one half and doing really well until we come up against very good defence (like the Roosters) and then our lack of point scoring becomes so apparent.

Imagine one of those 5/8's I mentioned above v Roosters? We would have won. Yes, we did really well, yes, Hoffman did a few good things but it was nowhere near enough.

Last night, for mine, Hoffman created nothing. We are crippled in a way, and it will show big time when we meet the top defensive units, oh, and more so when Gillett is off the field as last night showed. When he went off, the right hand side's spark in attack died. To me, it was as obvious as a slap in the face. It exposed our weakness - playing with one half.
While like you I do not like Hoffman at 5/8 the loss to the Roosters had nothing to do with point scoring, we scored more than enough, it was our lack of edge defence on our own try line that cost us the match

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Extended highlights.

Watching these highlights, Reed on Farrell, Creagh(I think) on Lowrie (massive lolz), and Merrin (I think once again) on Thaiday were laughably poor attempts on tackling.

Copley definitely got caught way out for the last Dragons try too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
While like you I do not like Hoffman at 5/8 the loss to the Roosters had nothing to do with point scoring, we scored more than enough, it was our lack of edge defence on our own try line that cost us the match

Hoffman is a non-issue at the moment ....it's kinda working.

Our fragile defence at certain times of the game is our biggest issue.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

Sorry, I disagree.

Yes, the edge (and wider) defence cost us 3 (or was it 2) soft tries - no doubts, and it was again a big problem in the Dragons match.

My point however is that with a decent 5/8 (again Widdop just as one example 'cos I really like him), we would have been at least 12-18 points ahead so it would have still been a win for us.

Can you imagine Widdop kicking to Vidot? Whoa ...

THAT is what I am talking about. Hoffman ATM, is a point scoring liability, and unless he improves dramatically soon, it will cost us as it did in the Roosters match, and especially in future games v teams like Manly, and the Bulldogs in particular.

In my view, we are playing top 4 level football right now up to the point of scoring on both sides as a result of 2 effective play making halves.

In short, I believe we are competitive against the very best sides with one play maker short. At the business end of the season, unless we compete on equal terms with the top sides - that is, with 2 decent halves and not 1, we are cactus for the semis.

I can only imagine the extra tries we might have scored if we had a decent playmaking 5/8.

Last edited:

Unread

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.