PRE-GAME Round 4 - Roosters vs Broncos

We need a genuine spark option off the bench. Someone with speed and a good running game.

Niko is not a halfback and he never will be. He has shown no signs of ever developing the skills needed at halfback. We need to put him back to the bench and make him our utility.

He showed against the Rabbitohs last year why he should be the utility.

Staggs does pretty well when he comes on but niko is a master at being a super sub... why not embrace it

Absolutely no way we win this. Even their shit half isn't shit.

Traveling to Sydney to attend this game, I don't give them much hope but I have doubted them before and been shown up. This team is a work in progress and there will be many highs and lows this year. I still think they will struggle to make the playoffs.

HAAS has a 4 game suspension, doesn't he?
He does, will be available the week after.

This might be an unpopular opinion after last week and tonight but I hope we stick by Isaako. Some in the post game thread are questioning who is next in line already. I don't know if it's all in his head at this stage or what, he didn't seem the type to me to let last years successes go to his head. I hope he knuckles down and straightens whatever it is, out. At least his radar was back on track tonight.

HAAS has a 4 game suspension, doesn't he?
We need a genuine spark option off the bench. Someone with speed and a good running game.

Niko is not a halfback and he never will be. He has shown no signs of ever developing the skills needed at halfback. We need to put him back to the bench and make him our utility.

He showed against the Rabbitohs last year why he should be the utility.

For mine, Staggs is just that player, an ideal bench utility. For the little time he was on tonight I thought he was excellent. He deserves his spot.

In any case, Seibold has said publicly that Knik and Milf will be the halves for this year, so I don't see the point in debating the 6 and 7. On the other hand, the number 9 is a different proposition.

As for Haas, with Lodge returning and Flegler playing so well, and with Carrigan in the wings ... hmmmm

Last edited:
Absolutely. He would offer more than Fensom.
That's probably true but Fensom and Staggs were poorly used tonight in my opinion. Instead of resting TPJ at 21 min in and then trotting him back out I would simply have given him a rest until the second half. When it was obvious that Roberts wasn't really fit Staggs should have been injected. What little time he got was effective and he very nearly busted the game open. Mind you, Seibold likely has his reasons.

He does, will be available the week after.

This might be an unpopular opinion after last week and tonight but I hope we stick by Isaako. Some in the post game thread are questioning who is next in line already. I don't know if it's all in his head at this stage or what, he didn't seem the type to me to let last years successes go to his head. I hope he knuckles down and straightens whatever it is, out. At least his radar was back on track tonight.

I agree with this, maybe he just need to stop composing Instagram selfies until after he catches the ball or scores the try

For mine, Staggs is just that player, an ideal bench utility. For the little time he was on tonight I thought he was excellent. He deserves his spot.

In any case, Seibold has said publicly that Knik and Milf will be the halves for this year, so I don't see the point in debating the 6 and 7. On the other hand, the number 9 is a different proposition.

As for Haas, with Lodge returning and Flegler playing so well, and with Carrigan in the wings ... hmmmm
Haas will be picked I feel as soon as he is available. We will likely see a big lift right across the board after Lodge then Haas return. Round 5 will see Lodge and TPJ start with Joffa and Haas replacing them I believe. Plenty to choose from for the remaining bench forward spot, Sua, Flegler, Fensom, Carrigan assuming Glenn and Gillete keep getting picked. Many many options. I keep execting TPJ to get a tackle wrong and cop a few weeks. I believe it will be a third man in, legs tackle fuckup.

1.Boyd
2.Issako
3.Roberts
4.Bird
5.Oates
6.Milford
7.Niko
8.Lodge
9.Macca
10.Offa
11.Fifita
12Gillete
13.TPJ
14.Staggs
15.Flegler
16.Glenn
17.Su’A
This should be the side for the game I hope Seibold will wield the axe when need be.

Last edited:
11.Fifita
12Gillete

16.Glenn

I agree that Gillett needs to move back to the edge but I don't see it being at Glenn's expense, love what Fifita has been doing in the first three games but I see him dropping back to the bench for Lodge. My preferred back row would be Glenn, Gillett, and either Ofahengaue (preferably) or TPJ at lock.

I agree with this, maybe he just need to stop composing Instagram selfies until after he catches the ball or scores the try

Yeah he's on there a bit hey lol. I mean he's 22 and has a growing profile so of course he's going to want to be out there, but it shouldn't be at the expense of the Broncos. Maybe someone like Glenn needs to take him under his wing for a bit, as someone that's also pretty heavy into his social media but is also able to do his job week in and week out.

I agree that Gillett needs to move back to the edge but I don't see it being at Glenn's expense, love what Fifita has been doing in the first three games but I see him dropping back to the bench for Lodge. My preferred back row would be Glenn, Gillett, and either Ofahengaue (preferably) or TPJ at lock.

Seibold sees offa as a prop and that’s where he will most likely stay. Fifita was miles ahead of Glenn last night and isn’t giving Milford the support he needs. We could also use some experience on the bench.

Fensom is yet to offer a single thing in his first 2 games for the Broncos. Clearly Seib's is only bringing him in as he is an "experienced" player, but I think we could be doing a lot better.

Until Seibold gets real and drops Macca, we're not in the competition. Quit fucking around.

Friday chuckle

Darius Boyd open to Maroons recall if he can maintain his form

Paul Malone, The Courier-MailMarch 25, 2019 5:18pm

Darius Boyd says it would be hard to “turn down’’ a recall from State of Origin retirement if he can sustain the form of his most encouraging game in more than 12 months.

Boyd declared his retirement from Origin football last year, but Maroons coach Kevin Walters told The Courier-Mail on February 27 that the “ship hasn’t sailed on Darius’’ with Origin team selection.

When responding to Walters’ comments last month, the Broncos skipper said it was possible he could “reassess’’ his status, but he was more assertive on Monday, buoyed by his lively hand in the Queensland derby last Friday and a punishing month of training.
33c45d9406c4c4db3f9e8728e28e0b5e

Queensland could certainly do with Boyd’s experience. Image: AAP Image/Dan Peled
Boyd, who would be a trusty fullback for a Queensland team stripped of Billy Slater and Valentine Holmes, said he hoped to play well enough to be “in that conversation’’.

Asked if he would be available for Origin I if he was still playing well in a month’s time, Boyd said: “I want to play at a high level and if that came about I might have to reconsider.

“It’s hard to turn it down. What I want is to even put myself in that conversation, not saying I want to play, because I retired last year.

“I retired for a reason. We have enough players to do a job coming through. Billy left and Val was a bit of shock when he left.’’
924979ca1a96fc87e31c79bc7ca04d72

Boyd has shown glimpses of his best in the opening rounds. Image: AAP Image/Dan Peled
On the evidence of Brisbane’s round 1 loss in Melbourne, former premiership teammate Darren Lockyer called for Boyd to show more urgency in his positional play and add variety to his attacking game.

“Last year, whether it was injuries or confidence or a few other things, I know I wasn’t at my best and it was pretty disappointing,’’ Boyd, who is Origin’s second all-time try scorer with 17, said yesterday.

“I just want to get back to the level I am capable of.’’

8c53addc36bc2e1b24b0ab3fb85f99e6

Anthony Seibold’s regime could be Queensland’s gain. Image: Cameron Spencer/Getty Images
Slater said the Broncos thrived in their 29-10 win over the Cowboys when Boyd was able to attack in concert with playmakers Kodi Nikorima and Anthony Milford.

“They played their (numbers) 7-6-1 together a lot,’’ Slater said.

Boyd said Broncos coach Anthony Seibold wanted to see if teams could “go with’’ Brisbane’s up-tempo style, which they want to reproduce against St George Illawarra at Suncorp Stadium on Thursday night.

Warner’s plea for forgiveness
similars

“We have been getting some great data through our GPS at training and the coaching staff has been great at relaying that to us. We have some talented guys who can do some special things and we have a really fit and athletic squad, especially some of our forwards.

“We want to play fast and see if other teams can go with us. We will be trying to play the same this week against the Dragons as well.’’

The Storm’s energetic start to their round 1 match and wrestling tactics made that ambition more difficult to achieve, Boyd said.
“They defended well and wrestled a lot … and made it a slower game,’’ he said.

I agree, fensom on the bench offers nothing. But to have flegler and carrigan on the bench isn't practical. Maybe have mago and carrigan, then rest flegler to keep the young guys fresh but still get game time.

Active Now

• Mpost
  • eazy-duzzit
  • Astro
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.