PRE-GAME Round 4 - Roosters vs Broncos

The problem we now have with a 1-2 record (which is by no means the end of the world) is that at some point we are going to need to buck a broncos trend. Given the 2 losses already (one was very winable) and we face the competition favourites next then throw in the inevitable Melbourne storm loss and at least two losses during state of origin plus the inevitable 30 point flogging no one sees coming from the titans where we just don't turn up for some reason and that's 6 losses and a top 4 spot ultimately gone.

Winning this game will be huge given Hass comes back in round 5 and the team should start to gel better and hit there straps. A 1-3 start to the season im my opinion would ultimately end our top 4 hopes unless we can turn around the trends from previous seasons which i mentioned above.

Think one of them was our last trial

The trial matches didn't count towards the suspension as he was suspended for 4 NRL games. He would have been available last night if they counted because he was suspended prior to the second trial.

He'll be available against the Tigers.

I agree, fensom on the bench offers nothing. But to have flegler and carrigan on the bench isn't practical. Maybe have mago and carrigan, then rest flegler to keep the young guys fresh but still get game time.

I didn't have Flegler on the bench in my team against the Roosters, and I also had Carrigan starting. He isn't an impact player in the way Flegler is and I think he would handle the role easily. I'd either have joffa or Tpj coming off the bench to provide some experience. Tbh, we are a bit low on experienced forwards who would offer more than some of our younger guys.

The trial matches didn't count towards the suspension as he was suspended for 4 NRL games. He would have been available for this match if they counted because he was suspended prior to the second trial.

He'll be available against the Tigers.

I was under the impression they said our final trial against the Titans was part of his ban.

I didn't have Flegler on the bench in my team against the Roosters, and I also had Carrigan starting. He isn't an impact player in the way Flegler is and I think he would handle the role easily. I'd either have joffa or Tpj coming off the bench to provide some experience. Tbh, we are a bit low on experienced forwards who would offer more than some of our younger guys.

When Carrigan eventually gets his chance he had better perform or you are gonna need one big tub of lube.

I just read on courier mail Haas is available for selection for this next weekends game. But it’s definitely incorrect what a surprise.

Last edited:
Seibold sees offa as a prop and that’s where he will most likely stay. Fifita was miles ahead of Glenn last night and isn’t giving Milford the support he needs. We could also use some experience on the bench.

I could be wrong but I think Gillett and Fifita play on the same side, don't they? Which is why Glenn and Gillett would make a more balanced combo right now in my opinion. Fifita is special and will force his way in sooner or later. You might be right about Ofahengaue, hopefully Seibs won't wait till it's too late this season to make some of these tweaks.

Friday chuckle

Darius Boyd open to Maroons recall if he can maintain his form

Paul Malone, The Courier-MailMarch 25, 2019 5:18pm

Darius Boyd says it would be hard to “turn down’’ a recall from State of Origin retirement if he can sustain the form of his most encouraging game in more than 12 months.

Boyd declared his retirement from Origin football last year, but Maroons coach Kevin Walters told The Courier-Mail on February 27 that the “ship hasn’t sailed on Darius’’ with Origin team selection.

When responding to Walters’ comments last month, the Broncos skipper said it was possible he could “reassess’’ his status, but he was more assertive on Monday, buoyed by his lively hand in the Queensland derby last Friday and a punishing month of training.
33c45d9406c4c4db3f9e8728e28e0b5e

Queensland could certainly do with Boyd’s experience. Image: AAP Image/Dan Peled
Boyd, who would be a trusty fullback for a Queensland team stripped of Billy Slater and Valentine Holmes, said he hoped to play well enough to be “in that conversation’’.

Asked if he would be available for Origin I if he was still playing well in a month’s time, Boyd said: “I want to play at a high level and if that came about I might have to reconsider.

“It’s hard to turn it down. What I want is to even put myself in that conversation, not saying I want to play, because I retired last year.

“I retired for a reason. We have enough players to do a job coming through. Billy left and Val was a bit of shock when he left.’’
924979ca1a96fc87e31c79bc7ca04d72

Boyd has shown glimpses of his best in the opening rounds. Image: AAP Image/Dan Peled
On the evidence of Brisbane’s round 1 loss in Melbourne, former premiership teammate Darren Lockyer called for Boyd to show more urgency in his positional play and add variety to his attacking game.

“Last year, whether it was injuries or confidence or a few other things, I know I wasn’t at my best and it was pretty disappointing,’’ Boyd, who is Origin’s second all-time try scorer with 17, said yesterday.

“I just want to get back to the level I am capable of.’’

8c53addc36bc2e1b24b0ab3fb85f99e6

Anthony Seibold’s regime could be Queensland’s gain. Image: Cameron Spencer/Getty Images
Slater said the Broncos thrived in their 29-10 win over the Cowboys when Boyd was able to attack in concert with playmakers Kodi Nikorima and Anthony Milford.

“They played their (numbers) 7-6-1 together a lot,’’ Slater said.

Boyd said Broncos coach Anthony Seibold wanted to see if teams could “go with’’ Brisbane’s up-tempo style, which they want to reproduce against St George Illawarra at Suncorp Stadium on Thursday night.

Warner’s plea for forgiveness
similars

“We have been getting some great data through our GPS at training and the coaching staff has been great at relaying that to us. We have some talented guys who can do some special things and we have a really fit and athletic squad, especially some of our forwards.

“We want to play fast and see if other teams can go with us. We will be trying to play the same this week against the Dragons as well.’’

The Storm’s energetic start to their round 1 match and wrestling tactics made that ambition more difficult to achieve, Boyd said.
“They defended well and wrestled a lot … and made it a slower game,’’ he said.

What form? Running hard a few times a game? That's like the bare minimum a fullback should be able to do.

When Carrigan eventually gets his chance he had better perform or you are gonna need one big tub of lube.

I have no doubts he will!

Still might take him a few weeks to get up to speed as with any young player, but I'm not worried about his ability at all.

Hopefully with TPJ getting a bit of fitness now and Lodge being back this week we can put TPJ at lock with Gillett to the second row.

I'd be resting Roberts, he wasn't wanting to get involved in anything last night.

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Bird
5. Isaako
6. Milford
7. KNik
8. Lodge
9. Macca
10. TPJ
11. Gillett
12. Fifita
13. Joffa

14. Turpin / one of the young halves (Macca needs pressure and a rest)
15. Flegler
16. Carrigan
17. Glenn

Lodge will be a huge Bonus, but I still think we need a lock who is going to make more impact in terms of meters with the way we play. For me it would either be Carrigan or Joffa at lock with what we have at our disposal

HAS to be Joffa, it is his position. He is screaming out to be picked there.

I could be wrong but I think Gillett and Fifita play on the same side, don't they? Which is why Glenn and Gillett would make a more balanced combo right now in my opinion. Fifita is special and will force his way in sooner or later. You might be right about Ofahengaue, hopefully Seibs won't wait till it's too late this season to make some of these tweaks.

Bird was also a right side premiership winning centre before coming to broncos. Players change and adapt when need be.

Active Now

• Mpost
  • eazy-duzzit
  • Astro
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.