Round 5 - Broncos vs Eels - Post-Game Discussion

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
Disgusting, insipid, rudderless, directionless, pathetic.

As usual, I'm not going to single out individuals .. as usual I point to the bigger picture - ie the person responsible for preparing this team, the person who's archaic coaching style and abysmal planning has contributed to the broncos being reduced to what we've seen most friday nights over the last 20 months ...

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
They are too compressed in defense and aren't covering up on the edges, warnings signs have been there since the roosters game. They had plenty of opportunities to score points but just pushed passes and failed to build any pressure. They looked like they were well on top of the eels for a moment in the second half but failed to build pressure and then conceded momentum. The refs let some absolute black&white penalties go in the second half, particularly blatant second efforts in the ruck, it was almost impressive how stubborn they were. Hodges showed both extremes in his game tonight, class and absolute hot-headed stupidity, the latter is hopefully out of his system now. I doubt this performance came as much of a surprise.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Hoffman will keep his spot. hook loves the guy. when was the last time we ruthlessly dominated a bottom 8 side?

MrMoore

MrMoore

NRL Player
Jul 27, 2011
Excuse me? He's been close to our worst player week in week out, excluding a couple of good ball playing try assists, which could've easily been accomplished by any other Fullback in the game (Except maybe Hoffman)

I'm still convinced he's playing injured, he doesn't look remotely dangerous in attack and seems to run at about 70% speed, even in the clear.
Everyone played sub par, but you label Barba as the the guy to shaft, like everyone else played out of their skin and Barba was a free loader. Worst player week in week out? I will just say....Hoffman and Reed, there's two, seriously wtf have you been watching?

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
tonight's performance was a throwback to last season. just let Hodges do all the work and get him frustrated. next thing he's injured..

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
I don't care if he just lost a game, that's poor fucking form from Hodges.....1 of our captains no less.

Anyone still advocating Hoffman @ 5/8th?

Barba is underdone, for whatever reason, although I'm not suggesting we drop him. Hoffman is not a 5/8th and belongs on the wing or centre. Kennedy is a spongy piece of shit and Hannant isn't much better. I would love to know exactly what the issue is with Hala because in 1 run vs the Roosters he showed more determination and passion than those 2 posers. I would legitimately consider this.....

1. Barba/Maranta
2. Vidot
3. Copley
4. Hodges
5. Hoffma
6. Nikorama/Barba
7. Hunt
14. Reed
15. Hala
etc etc....

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
barba and Hodges are trying to make up for what hoffman lacks. its affecting everyone's game. its so frustrating
Exactly, understanding a players strengths and weaknesses is critical, Hoffman's aren't exactly hard to read, the opposition sure as hell can when it comes to the crunch, his fantastic out wide with space to work with created from his players on his inside, but ask him to be creative to those players around him and his just not upto the task.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Everyone played sub par, but you label Barba as the the guy to shaft, like everyone else played out of their skin and Barba was a free loader. Worst player week in week out? I will just say....Hoffman and Reed, there's two, seriously wtf have you been watching?

Hoffman has been far from our worst player, he's played good this season, just out of position. I'll agree with Reed, he's neck and neck with Barba on the shit list.

I dunno how you can say Barba has been playing good.. what has he done? They showed 2-3 replays before the game of plays where Barba has set up a try, that's literally all he's done in 5 games, we could pluck someone out of Queensland Cup to do what he's doing at the moment.

He's playing injured, has to be.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
Hoffman will keep his spot. hook loves the guy. when was the last time we ruthlessly dominated a bottom 8 side?

I want him in the team...I fucking love the guy but he has no business being in the 6...

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
We all know the squad isn't changing next week, and I mean AT ALL, so you guys shouldn't waste your time brainstorming what should happen. Griffin is still as dumb as a box of rocks.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Exactly, understanding a players strengths and weaknesses is critical, Hoffman's aren't exactly hard to read, the opposition sure as hell can when it comes to the crunch, his fantastic out wide with space to work with created from his players on his inside, but ask him to be creative to those players around him and his just not upto the task.

I have to point this out and I feel like a dick for doing so, but he is gets shortened to he's. Not his. A few guys on here do it too and its beginning to get to me haha

Waynesaurus

Waynesaurus

NRL Captain
Jun 3, 2013
The miss on Hayne to score the Eels second last try was almost carbon copy of the miss Hoffman made on SKD in the Rooster match.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
I think the key is Kahu returning, he was slated to be out until Round 7 or so, we need him back next week, throw him straight in to Five-Eighth, no questions asked, Hoffman needs to be in the Centre's or on the Wing, he's too good to leave out of the team all together.

Then again, Kahu could come in and be just as shit as Hoffman, but it's at least worth a shot, he certainly can't be any worse in the position.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I have to point this out and I feel like a dick for doing so, but he is gets shortened to he's. Not his. A few guys on here do it too and its beginning to get to me haha

Nah fair call mate, doesn't bother me in the least.

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
As much as i would hate to see barba playing 6, he basically needs to. Hoffman is stopping all backline movement so barba isnt seeing the ball apart from kick returns. I would just swap hoffman and barba, it cant be any worse than it is. Broncos arent a team for a player like barba. Milford is going to ruin his career if he comes here. We are a structured team that rely on defence, not exactly the right environment for players like that

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
I think the key is Kahu returning, he was slated to be out until Round 7 or so, we need him back next week, throw him straight in to Five-Eighth, no questions asked, Hoffman needs to be in the Centre's or on the Wing, he's too good to leave out of the team all together.

Then again, Kahu could come in and be just as shit as Hoffman, but it's at least worth a shot, he certainly can't be any worse in the position.

See, I don't fucking get this. You want to go from one formerly unproven now shithouse 5/8th to another unproven 5/8th while Strasser sits in Qld cup with his finger up his arse. What did this kid do to deserve to be ignored so blatantly twice??

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
Barba has been close to our worst player week in week out, excluding a couple of good ball playing try assists, which could've easily been accomplished by any other Fullback in the game (Except maybe Hoffman)

I'm still convinced he's playing injured, he doesn't look remotely dangerous in attack and seems to run at about 70% speed, even in the clear.

He's been solid so far without being brilliant up until tonight. Previously he was safe as houses out the back, saving tries and defusing bombs left, right and centre.

He has had much better touches in attack than Hoffman (not hard to be fair, Hannant would make a better 5/8 than Hoffman) and has more than earned his place (apart from tonight's shocker).

I don't disagree he doesn't look fully fit. I actually hope it is the case he is being played at less than 100%, because otherwise we've got a significant problem on our hands and of course we have a coach who seemingly has no clue or willingness to identify, let alone address problems mid-season...

Last edited by a moderator:
N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Not going to troll and comment on the game but FMD what a **** Hodges is, poor sportsman and leader refusing to shake Sandows hand after the game, great player but that's it.
He picked up bad habits under your coach.

Unread

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • Manofoneway
  • Behold
  • winslow_wong
  • Behind enemy lines
  • achievedrap
  • BooKhaki
  • Jedhead
  • FACTHUNT
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • broncos4life
  • Tmac
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Lostboy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.