Round 5 - Broncos vs Eels - Post-Game Discussion

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Like I said, against quality opposition you don't win games with only 1 half. That has to be Hoffman's last shot

it's not all Barba's fault. We don't know how to use him. Hunt and Barba have a reasonable combination, but really. Hook needs a rocket, and also another consequence of playing with one half.

Another? Where are the set plays down the edges using Glenn and Gillett and Thaiday?

I don't think it's fair to lay all the blame at our back rowers. They are just not being given good ball in quality set plays.

The game plan, and execution of it, were a dog's breakfast.

Like many posted, the Eels are a quality side. They played really well, but, t the same time, we let them play better than they should have. We gave them the game.

Aldo

Aldo

What, me worry?
Contributor
Jul 7, 2013
We were totally flat tonight. Was always going to happen at some stage as we have put in a pretty big effort over the first month of the comp. Next week will tell us if it's a the start of a growing trend or just a blip on a pretty good start to the year.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
We were totally flat tonight. Was always going to happen at some stage as we have put in a pretty big effort over the first month of the comp. Next week will tell us if it's a the start of a growing trend or just a blip on a pretty good start to the year.

We will struggle against all the best sides with only 1 half. Plain and simple.

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
Reed went pretty well last year feeding Hoffman the ball but I think that has masked his overall mediocrity from Hook. I don't hold much hope of him getting dropped but he really should be.

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
Like I said, against quality opposition you don't win games with only 1 half. That has to be Hoffman's last shot

it's not all Barba's fault. We don't know how to use him. Hunt and Barba have a reasonable combination, but really. Hook needs a rocket, and also another consequence of playing with one half.

Another? Where are the set plays down the edges using Glenn and Gillett and Thaiday?

I don't think it's fair to lay all the blame at our back rowers. They are just not being given good ball in quality set plays.

The game plan, and execution of it, were a dog's breakfast.

Like many posted, the Eels are a quality side. They played really well, but, t the same time, we let them play better than they should have. We gave them the game.
Mate Barba had a shocker. Eels will win a lot of fans with brand of footy. Look far from solid though.i think
hodges comeback may have been a big distraction for us.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Defence was again the biggest problem. We mark up and keep the Eels on the back foot and it could have had a different result.

1. Fucken stupid decison wasting a bench spot on the Hodges / Maranta pairing

2. Kearney has to be shown the door. Brisbane's defence has hit an all time low in the club's history.

Aldo

Aldo

What, me worry?
Contributor
Jul 7, 2013
We will struggle against all the best sides with only 1 half. Plain and simple.

Not disagreeing with this, but we didn't have the enthusiasm tonight that we have had in our previous matches. Enthusiasm and attitude will get you, at least, competitive.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Barba - poor game but was always in support, no way he should be dropped. Is still clearly injured.
Vidot - another fine game though is clearly lacking confidence in his inside man.
Reed - Shoulder is not right and he is a liability.
Hodges - showed his class but was by no means as great as some suggest, good to have him back!
Copley - seamlessly transferred from centre to wing, great player.
Hoffman - one excellent bomb and everything else rubbish, move him back to wing.
Hunt - Usual haters will go off but did some nice thins in the second half in an inconsistent game.
McGuire - He is a legend, runs with venom and energy every time, exactly why we need Hala.
McCullough - some of his passing wasn't great but another very strong game though clearly frustrated by poor reffing.
Parker - we all love him but he was also justifiably getting ticked off with the refs.
Glenn - He is solid every game but needs to be spectacular every so often, haven't seen it yet.
Thaiday - Did he play?
Gillett - Drop him to Qld Cup. ;)

Kennedy - Each week more and more disappointed with this guy.
Hannant - Looked underdone but he'll get better.
Lowrie - Still don't see what he offers, especially at the expense of Oates.
Maranta - Good before pulled for Hodgo.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Defence was again the biggest problem. We mark up and keep the Eels on the back foot and it could have had a different result.

1. ****en stupid decison wasting a bench spot on the Hodges / Maranta pairing

2. Kearney has to be shown the door. Brisbane's defence has hit an all time low in the club's history.

Agree about the bench. Disagree about defence unless you mean just tonight. It's been pretty good up to now, except out wide where it remains somewhat fragile.

And Socnorb, Barba di have a poor game, but that doesn't change the consequences of a poor game plan and playing with one 1 half. Barba has to be used creatively. He isn't, except for odd episodes of combining with Hunt.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
A poor night at the office.

Before the game started, I noticed Benny making a meal of a few balls. Usually I don't keep track of it, but it was in the back of my mind and I wondered if he would get it out of his system.

Sadly, it was seemingly indicative of the whole team tonight. The boys just seemed to lack energy out there, the forwards couldn't get anything going and when they were gifted opportunities, they just kept turning the ball over cheaply. The defence was also very loose, some very soft efforts and the Broncos paid for them.

Hodges made a nice difference, that play to set up Copley was just about worth the price of admission alone and I really thought he created some good opportunities for the boys tonight. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come.

I'm a little frustrated with the referees...it did seem like they made a concious decision to put the whistle away in the second half which hurts when our game relies so heavily on the quick play the ball.

Last edited:
L

levikaden

NYC Player
Jan 17, 2014
Sportsmanship? FFS just win.
Gifted eels too many metres. Ref the ruck FFS
weekend ruined FMD

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Well that was just poor and there is no excuse for that performance

We just couldn't get into any rhythm or structure and played poorly and missed to many tackles in defence. Every team has a poor performance each year so it was something that's going to happen sooner or later but it still sucks when it does.

Barba was absolutely hopeless tonight he was nothing but a passenger and made basic errors and never threatened with the ball at any time whatsoever. The backs apart from Hunt and Hodges were hopeless and deserve a kick up the arse. I still thought Macca went OK and Gillett and Parker played strong but apart from them the rest offered nothing.

Don't know if it's just me but I hate losing to Parramatta more than any other team for some reason. Sandow's cocky grin just rubbed it in for me.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
How is that being realistic? Kahu hasn't done shit to justify us taking yet another risk on a player in a position he isn't supposed to play in. Cherry Evans didn't become a superstar and Anthony Milford didn't become a prospective superstar sitting on their arses in the QLD cup.

I think you misunderstood my meaning, or maybe I didn't word it correctly. By realist I mean, Kahu is the next option at 5/8th...rightly or wrongly. He's the guy who (reportedly) trained there during the off season. I would also love to give Strasser /Niko a shot but realistically, it aint going to happen. My only hope is that....

1) Kahu comes back and guns it

or

2) This time in Qcup is turning Strasser into exactly the half we need. Hunt could have done with a year or so in Qcup imo....rather than come off the bench for 15 fucking minutes for the Broncos every week. Sorry, still bitter about that.

D

danialson

Jun 20, 2013
Very upset with tonight's game. I live in parramatta so im sure to get an earful at work on Monday.
No urgency in the forwards - Parra's forward pack were so determined and hungry and did a fantastic job.
Our backs were terrible tonight. Im surprised the game was as close as it was. Hoffman is trying his heart out, but clearly shouldnt be playing at 5/8. Ben Hunt has flashes of brilliance, although needs to be patient and not look for a game winning play everytime he gets the ball. I Dont remember us getting close to forcing any repeat sets tonight. Ben Barba is definately injured. Jack Reed needs to start passing the ball to Vito, although he's great at kick returns, im sure Vito has more to offer. Big Sammy was nowhere to be seen tonight. Great to see Hodgo back at his best and his worst.

Im sure this loss was just a once off. We underestimated the Eels tonight, heck i even put money on the bulldogs 1-12 and Broncos 13+. We have one every other game this year by playing harder, enthusiasm and awesome go forward.

We are a long way from our best, im sure we will improve - once we get a legit 5/8 and Hook/B Hunt organize to use our Origin Second Row to tear our opposition to pieces!

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
I'm not really surprised by the Eels, they almost beat Manly before they were dudded by a string of bs penalties to march Manly up the field.

But as others have said, you have to find a way to win even when you're playing crap.

I dont expect the team to change, just taking a step back again and hoping Mellencamp's 'Crumblin' Down' isn't going to be our theme song for the next month.

Last edited:
Dee

Dee

QCup Player
Apr 30, 2010
2013 type performance. No enthusiasm, no intensity, nothing. We weren't up for this game mentally or physically, pretty disgusting performance by the boys, & the referee's did us no favours but we can't blame the referee's, the game was there to be won and we didn't do it. I pray to God that this is just a one off bad performance.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
I guess it fits with the theme of this season so far. There hasn't been one obvious result outside of Rorters v Eels that hasn't been a boilover.

Unread

Active Now

• rnabokov
  • Galah
  • thenry
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.