Round 5 - Broncos vs Eels - Post-Game Discussion

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
A poor night at the office.

Before the game started, I noticed Benny making a meal of a few balls. Usually I don't keep track of it, but it was in the back of my mind and I wondered if he would get it out of his system.

Sadly, it was seemingly indicative of the whole team tonight. The boys just seemed to lack energy out there, the forwards couldn't get anything going and when they were gifted opportunities, they just kept turning the ball over cheaply. The defence was also very loose, some very soft efforts and the Broncos paid for them.

Hodges made a nice difference, that play to set up Copley was just about worth the price of admission alone and I really thought he created some good opportunities for the boys tonight. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come.

I'm a little frustrated with the referees...it did seem like they made a concious decision to put the whistle away in the second half which hurts when our game relies so heavily on the quick play the ball.
Very good observation BP. Barba dropped a few balls in warm up and I thought at the time that you play how you practice. His handling was woeful tonight and help keep more pressure on us than should have been. Cecchin is a wanker, I had the refs ears on tonight and all night he kept saying to the junior ref work with me, you have to help me with the ruck but when the junior ref was calling hand on the ball against the Eels he just ignored it. Honestly he has no fucking idea but loves being the dominant ref. He is the only one that needs dropping .

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
May I ask, how on earth teams like the Eels just blood these enormous fucking forwards that somehow have infinite motor and constantly bust tackles? Why can't we find players like them.. I guess we thought Kennedy was going to do that, but I don't think he's made a tackle bust this entire season.

We need Hala off the bench, don't care if he only plays 10 minutes, we need some piercing runners. Molo and Ofahengaue should be on the short list as well.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Abysmal.

I don't have much to add, it's all been said really.

That was 2013 Broncos right there, and boy was it shit to watch.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
Molo and Paia'aua were sent to Qcup for experience. If they go well then they may get a go especially Paia'aua who is an organizer at 5/8.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Boy didn't the 20s miss Duncan [MENTION=8219]Splinter[/MENTION]?

Did you catch the game mate? Hoping you can fill some gaps in the NYC thread.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Does anyone else think Ben Hunt's bombs are just pure dogshit?

I thought he had an okay match, but whenever he puts up a bomb, he gets no height on it and invariably kicks it too deep. Also does the old point over point kick that good old Pete Wallace used to do, rather than the whirlwind torpedo - which may not be as accurate, but is far more difficult to catch.

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Bad performance, but it's just a loss. I think Reed's time is up but thats about it. Bring on next week.

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
Just further confirms our forwards lost us the game, at the end of the day.

Ironically I said to my brother before the game we will win because our forward pack will dominate theirs..

Hannant and Kennedy are like clones of Carl Webb right now.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Whilst Hodges was our only bright spot in attack, he looked like he didn't give a shit in defense and gave away 2 extremely costly penalties.

The choke on Radradra when we had the Eels pined in their own 20, and then the body check on Hayne which in effect gave them the 6 point lead, and allowed Sandow to get the 7 point lead.. Some pretty poor leadership skills shown from Hodgo in his first game back.

Browny

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Apr 9, 2008
Only saw the first half but;

Wasted so much ball on their line,
forwards got owned,
hunt is going to do his shoulders carrying the playmaking,
edge defence was crap
lack of composure from senior players

effin lost to Hayne sandow and the pea heart

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
So flat in attack ... no depth for the forwards to hit the line hard.

No real 5/8th is also costing us the best of Barba too i think, he just doesn't know where he's supposed to be in attack most of the time.

A frustrating loss for sure, but hope is not all lost yet.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Reed has never been the smoothest of operators, but I thought he looked seriously uncoordinated last night - did anyone else see it that way?

He's been on and off this season (a bit more off) and that was definitely his worst game in a while.

Last edited:
Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
This type of match was coming for a while. We've been epic the first month if the season. I'm not too concerned ATM, however if it becomes a trend it will become very concerning. We always struggle against teams like the Eels & Warriors because the don't play very structured football. We should pick up next week. We always play well against the Titans.

Unread

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Mustafur
  • maximus84
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Galah
  • Wolfie
  • Skathen
  • Browny
  • Harry Sack
  • Rambstien
  • GCBRONCO
  • mystico
  • Porthoz
  • Old Mate
  • Manofoneway
  • johnny plath
  • Scdeac
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • the_next
... and 26 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.