Round 5 - Broncos vs Eels - Pre Game Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
watching the eels play penrith at the moment,, parramatta look the much better team so far, they are definately more of a handful then people give them credit for especcially with nathan peats back, our marker defence is going to have to be on the ball. macca verse peats is a really good matchup that will play a big part in the field position battle. i think it will be a close match remember parra pushed manly right to the death at brookvale last week. there really is no easy games at the moment with how close this comp appears to be. if we show up at all complaicent they could suprise us, hayne tonga hopoate radradra, their backline is very capable of putting plenty of points on, especcially if our defence out wide doesnt improve. really hoping hodges will be a suprise inclusion

I rate Peats very highly, probably in the top 4 hookers in the NRL at the moment. Won't be an easy win that's for sure.

This game will be an easy win for the Broncos regardless of the result in the Eels game tonight and I'll tell you why...

I won't be attending.

I attended the 1st 2007 clash, Broncos lost.

I attended the 2nd 2007 clash when I was down in Sydney, Broncos got flogged.

I attended the 2010 clash, Broncos lost.

I attended the 2012 clash, Broncos got flogged.

I attended the 2013 clash when I was in Sydney, Broncos lost.

I haven't been to a win against the Eels in a long time.

When I don't attend, Broncos win.

Last edited:
Can't take the Eels lightly we could be in for a real battle here

This game will be an easy win for the Broncos regardless of the result in the Eels game tonight and I'll tell you why...

I won't be attending.

I attended the 1st 2007 clash, Broncos lost.

I attended the 2nd 2007 clash when I was down in Sydney, Broncos got flogged.

I attended the 2010 clash, Broncos lost.

I attended the 2012 clash, Broncos got flogged.

I attended the 2013 clash when I was in Sydney, Broncos lost.

I haven't been to a win against the Eels in a long time.

When I don't attend, Broncos win.
That's some conclusive evidence there superfreak. I now call for a superfreak ban to all games.

if we go in expecting to win we will get carved up. eels attitude the last two weeks has been fantastic. every player on their team is giving their all, and they're playing good footy.

we will have to be on our game. it could be pretty high scoring i think. eels can put on poinst but their defense falls apart at times. hopefully barba can find some space

interesting spine match up - pretty similar really

macca & peats - both having break out years, so far. macca seems to be oming of age, peats finally getting, and taking, his opportunity as a first choice hooker.

hunt & sandow - different players, both in different situations but both have had alot of pressure on them and have struggled until just recently. hunt gaining confidence and sandow was very solid against the panthers. both love a chip kick

hoffman & norman - two running five eighths, who either dont pass or cant pass. both playing 6 this year after not playing that position at any stage last season (or ever in hoffmans case)

barba & hayne - both class players. have had dally m winning seasons in previous years but struggled of late with injury and what not. both players single handedly (arguably) took their team to a GF (hayne 2009, barba 2012) but lost at the last post.

Last edited:
Hunt and Sandow . One is defensive liability. A focus for our attack.

I'm hoping that in this game we see something that we haven't seen for a very long time - a proper Broncos mauling (of the other team). It's been ages since we delivered a proper 80-minute performance and eight years since we held a team to nil.

Although Parramatta should be slightly better than wooden-spoon material this year, this is a good opportunity for us to flex our muscles and play completely convincingly.

We have struggled against the Eels lately though.

I would take Ben Hunt over Sandow

i still believe this game is our biggest 'danger' game so far this year. we were always going to be up for the first three rounds of hte season.. barba v dogs.. local derby... jharal tribute vs premiers. i was very confident we'd get the pts v dragons (as a rule i NEVER bet on my team, and had 100 on us to win).

eels a bit of a bogey team for us.

hopefully hodgo is back!

I had to check this for myself, sounds ridiculous but it was Round 25, 2006.. against Parra.

Steve Michaels scored a great try in the corner that day and from memory Shane Webcke had a blinder. He was nothing short of sensational in his last month of his playing days.

Yeah, I agree with CF. If they keep last year's loss in mind it should stop them being complacent because we should win this easily.

I think the Eels have beaten us a couple times over the last few years when we were expected to win.

I don't think complacency will be an issue.

This will be tight IMO. The Norman factor will be bigger than some people believe I think, but with the seemingly new found attitude at the Broncos I believe we can contain them. Traffic at Sandow all night and shut down Hayne (or at least present him with an unbroken line) and we'll go a long way to winning this.

You can't shut down Hayne. You can minimize his impact. Don't kick to him for starters. Move up on him when he runs wide, don't wait for him.

The Eels seem to be clicking. For mine, they have a very good side. Tonga and Hopoate are a strong centre pairing. Hayne and Norman can both throw excellent cut out passes out wide where our up-to-now fragile defence is a worry.

Their pack is no slouch. They pushed Manly all the way at Brookvale and flogged the highly regarded Panthers.

More than ever we will need to give Barba a hat with a lot of rabbits, and hope Hoffman will keep evolving. I see a very very tough match, Sandow or not.

Last edited:
We have to beat the Eels through our forwards. The Eels have a pretty slick backline so to shut them down we need to give them minimal ball in their attacking zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Yellowfella
  • Gaz
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.