Round 5 - Broncos vs Knights - Post Match Discussion

Browny

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Apr 9, 2008
Kenny is not a front rower anymore, when hannant and thaiday got a rest we lost our go forward.

Fmd can we get Parker out of backlineoves to the left! His last couple of games it was time to spin it to the left and he"ll run back at the defence coming from the right.

Can we leave reed out on the wing so much safer with the high ball

M

mjc

BRL Player
Jan 14, 2009
Does Corey Parker know how to pass? I don't think I have ever seen him just catch and pass it, he favours the desperate and dangerous offload though. If he could just work a pass or two into his game when he has players lined up outside him it would be great...

A few times when we were on the attack in their twenty we had thaiday at dummy half passing to Ben Hanant at first receiver. That's not what we need when we're on the attack. Really dis tankard, but that will improve.

Wallace and Hodges both had beat games, high involvement and not much wrong between them. Beale has definitely done enough to lock up the left wing spot when Hoffman comes back.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
It is so refreshing to see the EGO gone out of the coaching, where the coach is actually putting the team first rather than his dick. Thank goodness Henjak has gone.

Griffin is doing such a good job at getting the players to play for each other in defence, adding discipline and structure so early in the season. The points against is the proof of that pudding.

He looks like he's working on the attack too, trying to reverse years of poor coaching: no depth, no width, no focus on support and leaving too much to individual brilliance. For mine, Wallace looks like he is rising to the challenge as a result.

My only gripe remains Parker. Last week, I thought he was outstanding. He ran straight (mostly) and very hard like the excellent back rower he can be, but last night, it's back to those stupide sideways runs. Grrrr.

I am worried about Gillett. He's a match winner when he is given room to move. He's a fantastic ball runner, yet I see him too often running from dummy half or given the ball with no room and everyone expecting him to do a Hodges.

I am worried that like Dave Taylor, he'll end up with another club destroying other teams next season unless the team's structure accommodates his particular talents. Put him at lock and get him running out wide. That's his job, not Parker's.

Anyway, for the first time in ages, I now go into a Broncos game actually confident of a win rather than having my heart in my mouth.

Last night was a great win given the conditions, a new coach, and a team that is clearly undergoing an intelligent, progressive re-build.

gUt

gUt

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Have a fucking whinge you crybaby *****:

Knights blast refs after Bronco defeat

Christian Nicolussi
April 12, 2011 12:00AM

FOR the second straight week, a coach has blasted the standard of refereeing for costing a victory on the road.

Seven days after Canterbury coach Kevin Moore took a pot- shot at video referee Chris Ward, Newcastle mentor Rick Stone took aim at the whistleblowers, saying his Knights "weren't going to win tonight as far as the refs were concerned".

Stone had a real gripe with a five-minute passage of play in the second half when the Knights trailed 12-6 and crossed the tryline three times without scoring.

Joel Edwards was held up over the line, Adam MacDougall was deemed to have knocked on while Richie Fa'aoso latched on to what was called a forward pass from Kurt Gidley.

"That forward pass, they [officials] will go back and have a look at and they'll [realise] it was a fair pass," Stone said.
"We had a couple of decisions go against us back to back, there was probably three in a row. I thought at least one of them should have been given the nod.

"At that time I reckon [we were coming to get them]. We defended our line strongly, we got the ball back down their end and when we had a couple of decisions go against us in that five-to-10-minute period, I thought the Broncos did look a bit wobbly."

At one stage the Knights trailed 6-1 in the penalty count, and while the margin ended up 8-6 in favour of Brisbane, Stone said the damage had already been done.

Captain Kurt Gidley said there was nothing wrong with the pass to Fa'aoso, who planted the ball under the sticks in a move that would have levelled the score.

"I thought it was fine, of course I'm going to say that, but you get a fair indication of whether the ball went forward or not, I was going sideways when I threw it, at times it looks forward, but it was fine," the skipper said.
"They're the breaks in the game, and we needed one of those to go our way. We were coming home strong and if we got the green light on one of those decisions, the momentum would have shifted more."

The Edwards and MacDougall efforts were sent upstairs to Ward - the man in the firing line last week for a dubious obstruction call during the Bulldogs-Storm clash - who sent the first decision back to Phil Haines, then denied the "Mad Dog".

While Stone will today seek clarification from referees bosses Stuart Raper and Bill Harrigan, there was no denying another brilliant second-half defensive display by Brisbane, even though there was a touch of luck.

For the fifth straight week, the Broncos failed to concede a point. Broncos coach Anthony Griffin was delighted, but was sure the record would soon come to an end.

That pass was as forward as. Clearly. Obviously. They did one in the next set that was exactly the same, that they got away with. The Broncos deserved all of their first half penalties and only stopped getting them when the refs decided to square the count up. What a load of bollocks.

How can he even mention the other two disallowed tries? One was a clear knock on, the other was held up? Where's the beef? We had two disallowed tries that were much more grey areas than that, and in fact I thought Lockyer's was a fair touchdown but I can understand why they didn't give it.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Agree wholeheartedly. The Knights didn't get any crap decisions at all in that game, I don't know where the whinging comes from.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Coxy said:
Agree wholeheartedly. The Knights didn't get any crap decisions at all in that game, I don't know where the whinging comes from.

It comes from someone who's about to lose his job

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
mjc said:
Does Corey Parker know how to pass? I don't think I have ever seen him just catch and pass it, he favours the desperate and dangerous offload though. If he could just work a pass or two into his game when he has players lined up outside him it would be great...

If i remember right Parker did throw a pass in the lead up to Reeds second, He spun as he hit the line and passed the ball on.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
kluppy said:
Renegade said:
**** hell Parker shits me off.

Seriously, he is shit at conversions. We need to groom someone who is more consistent. There were several chances the Knights had, which had they have scored, would've brought them level/gone in front, all due to Corey's dire conversion attempts.

It's not good enough in this day and age.

our defense is **** great though.

jesus that's a bit harsh isn't it?? how about we give you a virus, then drag your sorry ass out of hospital slap a jersey on you and see how you go!

douche

lol

If he was so sick why did he play? Fact is he was well enough to play, but just shit at kicking. He's been pretty damn average at kicking for a while now so I don't think you can blame the virus on that.

I would love to see a list of kickers for each side, and then %'s. I would honestly suggest Parker would be in the lower half of the list.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
in fact at times during that game i thought the Knights were lucky for some of the ref decisions in that games. especially in not giving away a dozen second half penalties.

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
I love winning.

But I wish the Broncos would stop giving me heart attacks.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
gUt said:
We still play way too flat.

QFT!!!!!!!!

Pisses me off. Royally. By the time it gets out to our centre or winger they have to stop and so they're flat footed. CRAP!

Get DEEPER boys! (that's what she said)

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
BTW, I was disgusted with the way Corey Paterson deliberately stuck his knee into Yow Yeh's calf and wrote a letter of complaint to the NRL.

The response:

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your email. We appreciate you taking the time to write in to us.

We certainly understand the concerns you have raised and agree with you that problem gambling can be destructive. While you may not agree with sport having relationships with betting agencies, it is a commercial reality with sport that people will bet on games and betting agencies will seek to advertise their services. This is not only the case for Rugby League but for most major sporting bodies around the country.

In terms of sports betting agencies advertising during Rugby League broadcasts, this is entirely at the network's discretion and is a commercial decision on their part. Anything said by the commentators in relation to sports betting is also at the network's discretion.

There is no denying that betting has become a source of revenue for NRL Clubs and the NRL does its part to educate its players and send out the correct messages with regards to betting. We require all players entering the Toyota Cup level to undertake compulsory Responsible Gambling workshops, which are reinforced in similar workshops throughout their NRL careers. Players also have access to counseling services should they be required and we have strict rules preventing players and officials having any part in betting on Rugby League.

Certainly you have made your views clear. We respect your right to them and I am happy to register your comments.

Thanks again for your feedback on this issue.

Kind regards,

Elke, NRL

gUt

gUt

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
[icon_lol1.

Write to them about Gamblor and see what they come back with.

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
Professional organisation. [icon_lol1.

Also Chris, I was watching the Titans v Raiders game in the previous round and Laffranchi grabbed Dugan's calf and dug his fingers right into the muscle and gouged away at it. I was pretty disgusted. Dugan went off a couple of minutes later and has since been ruled out for a month with "suspicious undiagnosed calf injury".

Is this a new coaching tactic? eusa_think

OXY-351

OXY-351

NRL Player
Oct 1, 2008
Renegade said:
kluppy said:
Renegade said:
**** hell Parker shits me off.

Seriously, he is shit at conversions. We need to groom someone who is more consistent. There were several chances the Knights had, which had they have scored, would've brought them level/gone in front, all due to Corey's dire conversion attempts.

It's not good enough in this day and age.

our defense is **** great though.

jesus that's a bit harsh isn't it?? how about we give you a virus, then drag your sorry ass out of hospital slap a jersey on you and see how you go!

douche

lol

If he was so sick why did he play? Fact is he was well enough to play, but just shit at kicking. He's been pretty damn average at kicking for a while now so I don't think you can blame the virus on that.

I would love to see a list of kickers for each side, and then %'s. I would honestly suggest Parker would be in the lower half of the list.

Exactly. I've said it before, but Parkers poor goal kicking is going to come back to bite us around finals time. Years ago when the Broncos were an attacking force, they could get away with not kicking a high % of conversions, but these days every point they can get is going to come in handy.

Turning 4 in to 6 a larger % of the time could be the difference between winning and losing, and i don't have much confidence in Parker to kick the pressure goals.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Good game. Hard to judge our attack in the wet conditions though.

Norman has had the next chance every bastard wanted him to. Can we piss him off now. He's useless.
Kenny is hopeless in his current position.
Jane is slowly earning his D back.
I hope to God that wasn't just a fluke from Wallace. Good game from him.
Beale. I like Beale at FB. I reckon Hoffman might be a bit dirty about being injured, I think he's going to have to fight to get his position back. Beale > Hoffman IMO.
Hodges clearly wants to play origin.
The commentators summed it up perfectly last night with Reed. He looks comfortable in the team, and a new person watching the Broncos wouldn't know he was a rookie with as good as no games under his belt.

I'm still concerned with out attack and not getting to a kick. Parker, and Thaiday twice last night had the ball on the 5th. Why does it keep happening?

Also, why is our attack bunched up together instead of in an attacking line to allow the ability to throw the ball around? Are all the young guys trying to get a touch to show they are awesome?

Active Now

• Skathen
  • Battler
  • Brotherdu
  • Lostboy
  • Fozz
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • broncs30
  • Johnny92
  • The Strapper
  • RolledOates
  • Jedhead
  • Bucking Beads
  • Swordfish
  • Foordy
  • bert_lifts
  • azza.79
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.