Round 5 - Broncos vs Knights - Post Match Discussion

Nashy said:
Why? Why should players who get injured automatically get their spot back as soon as they are available. They should have to prove their worth and dedication in Q-Cup. Then once they show they are still the goods, then they come back.

Why drop a player who's playing well with the team, just because he's not the bloke that was there before him?

I don't agree with you at all especially when it has only been a few weeks. A long term injury then yeah a few games in QLD cup is on the cards IMO.

Nashy said:
Why? Why should players who get injured automatically get their spot back as soon as they are available. They should have to prove their worth and dedication in Q-Cup. Then once they show they are still the goods, then they come back.

Why drop a player who's playing well with the team, just because he's not the bloke that was there before him?

So if Lockyer got injured for a couple of weeks and Corey Norman did a good job at filling in, you'd put Lockyer into the QCup until he proved he is still the goods?

Probably a better comparison would be Jharal Yow Yeh. If he got injured you'd rather stick with Copley or Gagai for a few weeks until Yow Yeh "outplays them"?

There is something special about Beale no doubt.

Coxy said:
Probably a better comparison would be Jharal Yow Yeh. If he got injured you'd rather stick with Copley or Gagai for a few weeks until Yow Yeh "outplays them"?

Yeh good call. I think Hoffman has done enough to warrant automatic selection though. Others in that boat are Lockyer, Hodges, Hannant, Thaiday and Parker, and to a lesser extent Yow Yeh.

Yep. I don't think you make the 2010 player of the year sweat it out in QLD Cup to prove he's worthy...

Coxy said:
Yep. I don't think you make the 2010 player of the year sweat it out in QLD Cup to prove he's worthy...
The whole "prove he's worthy" thing only applies to fringe first graders. Yeah Beale has been gone but Hoffman has been there done that for a lot longer and he deserves the spot unless his form in first grade drops significantly.

Beale deserves a spot on the wing though because he's been very good.

draggx said:
Bucking Beads said:
draggx said:
There is something special about Beale no doubt.

I said it first...

You did? Don't think i have ever heard you say it....

Beale is nothing special. He's a bench utility.
Tell me what he has in his game that makes him so special?

I have my reservations about both Reed and Beale on the wing. Gagai comes back in for mine. Reed in the centres.

Hopefully Kemp finds form, would get a hard on if he got back in the side.

m1c said:
I have my reservations about both Reed and Beale on the wing. Gagai comes back in for mine. Reed in the centres.

Gagai needs to spend time in Qcup, Beale and Reed are both well ahead of him at the moment.

Just watched the game last night, I was pleased with how they performed.

Some notes:

Pros
- Newcastle placed a lot of pressure on us with their halves, they were keeping us very honest with their running game and we went well shutting them down.
- We made less errors and were better disciplined than previous weeks, and therefore, we weren't putting ourselves under pressure; especially when in our own half.
- Both long and short kicking game was much improved.
- Wallace has been improving each week, I think he plays better wider of the ruck.
- Starting team seems well balanced.

Cons:
- Not wanting to take mid-field bombs
- No real impact from the bench
- Goal kicking is a concern
- Lacking a genuine finisher on the left side (although Reed seems do be doing a good job, we need Gagai or Kemp back in, someone with pace who can find the line in tight spots)

Ghibli said:
Just watched the game last night, I was pleased with how they performed.

Some notes:

Pros
- Newcastle placed a lot of pressure on us with their halves, they were keeping us very honest with their running game and we went well shutting them down.
- We made less errors and were better disciplined than previous weeks, and therefore, we weren't putting ourselves under pressure; especially when in our own half.
- Both long and short kicking game was much improved.
- Wallace has been improving each week, I think he plays better wider of the ruck.
- Starting team seems well balanced.

Cons:
- Not wanting to take mid-field bombs
- No real impact from the bench
- Goal kicking is a concern
- Lacking a genuine finisher on the left side (although Reed seems do be doing a good job, we need Gagai or Kemp back in, someone with pace who can find the line in tight spots)

Pretty good summation.

I think the lack of impact off the bench came with the make up of it. 3 workhorse forwards and a rookie outside back.

I know we all have raps on Matt Gillett, but I wonder if we'd get better results out of him if he came off the bench?

Change the bench imo. Te'o and McGuire both make great impact forwards

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • Fitzy
  • kiwibronco
  • Foordy
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Midean
  • Lurker
  • Allo
  • Spoon
  • Rambstien
  • Bucking Beads
  • Jazza
  • Financeguy
  • Brotherdu
  • Justwin
  • Battler
  • Evander
  • Ondi
  • GCBRONCO
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.