10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008
Though perhaps warranted on form through the first four games, I don't think wholesale changes would do anything but create further instability and guarantee a continued string of losses. It also looks like we don’t have that many options for change in any case. Nevertheless I would like to see a few adjustments across the coming weeks, barring a massive and unlikely reversal of form and/or attitude. I know a lot of this is repeating what’s already been said in this thread and others, but that’s kind of this forum’s thing, isn’t it…

Bird has been one of the standouts so far, and I'd love to see him move to fullback. We desperately need someone more dynamic at the back, and I think he’d shore up the defense as well. Staggs has earned a chance to stay at starting centre. I don't think that you can drop Boyd entirely at this point, so move him to centre while Roberts is out and then push him to the wing and let Isaako find some form in the lower grades unless he tears it up before Roberts gets back. It might even be worthwhile replacing Isaako right now.

At some point we need to drop Nikorima back to the bench to spell McCullough at the end of each half. I think this is Niko’s best position, unless he finds himself playing five-eighth on a team with a dominant half. I’d bring O'Sullivan in at halfback in the first instance, as he seems to be the most experienced of a very inexperienced bunch, but with an eye to get Dearden in there sooner or later.

Immediate changes in the forwards will be dictated by Pangai’s imminent suspension, and I suspect Gillett moves back to lock, Fifita comes back into the starting side, and Haas comes on to the bench. It’s not ideal but it is what it is, and will revert once Pangai comes back. Lodge is the cornerstone of this pack so thank god he’s back. While he hasn’t been setting the world on fire I think Offa is the best option alongside him for now, but if Flegler keeps improving Offa should be very worried. I’d also like to see Carrigan get a chance somewhere just because it seems every second poster talks him up.

Even if none of these changes happen, I think Boyd needs to be stripped of the captaincy and have it given to Gillett. I wish there was a better option, and maybe that’s Lodge in the long term depending on how he develops, but for now I do think that it might work to lift Gillett to another level, and it might even relieve some of the weight from Boyd’s shoulders and spur him to improve his effort and finish his career on a high note. Even if you don’t make significant changes to the makeup of the seventeen, a change like that would emphasise that the status quo is no longer good enough. That change and dropping one or two established players would be even more emphatic…

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I’m convinced that Macca has a sex tape of P.White in a gay (not that there’s anything wrong with being gay, when you’re not married with kids) club toilet.
What is this obsession with blaming White for recruitment/retention or game day selections etc...

This is on the coach .... They get the teams they want ...

And in Macca's case it is 1000% on Bennett.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Great. Absolutely been smashed by the MRC this season and it’s only round 4. One eyed one sided pricks
Lodge didn't deserve the suspension ... TPJ absolutely does

Broncapz

Broncapz

NRL Player
May 1, 2016
TPJ doesnt deserve it because it happens under reasonable reaction time.

It looks bad because Cronk totally relaxes his body in the act of passing. That's on Cronk for having the ball in hand and not expecting to get hit a second after releasing.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
While I think it was cheap, I don't think TPJ deserves a friggin 3 week suspension for it, though I do hope it actually helps him mature a bit, at least by not wanting to let the side down again.

I have a feeling Wolfie was on that panel though.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
TPJ looking at 2-3 weeks for the Cronk hit. NRL loves to kick us with suspensions. Got to protect the poster boy Cronk

You can thank Thurston for that.

He's the one that kept whinging and whinging and whinging until the NRL finally caved in. The other halves didn't really care all that much.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
I don't even think it was worth a penalty. At half time last night they showed an almost identical one that happened minutes earlier. Also TPJ on Cronk. At most TPJ was maybe half a step away from Cronk instead of a full step like he was on the one he was charged for. IMO the difference wasn't how "late" TPJ came in, it was how quickly Cronk went limp - on the latter example Cronk relaxed as he passed it, and that's on him. On both examples, TPJ had no way of knowing if the ball had even been passed, he had every right to come in and smash a playmaker that took it so close to the line.

P

Pushkin

QCup Player
May 27, 2016
Two issues with mass changes Seibold trains 13 on 13 so guys aren't playing ISC, they get kept back for training so guys are not playing consistently in ISC.

Turpin 2/4 games (Development and can't play anyway)
Kennar 2/4
Paix 2/4 (Development can't play anyway)
Farnsworth 2/4 (Development can't play anyway)
Mago 4/4
Dargan 2/4 and been injured.
O'Sullivan 2/4 and been injured.
Tagatese 3/4
Carrigan 3/4
Perese 2/4
Fai 4/4
Shibasaki 2/4
Bullmore 4/4 (Development can't play anyway)
Boyd 3/4 (Development can't play anyway)

That's before you look at form and nothing in there has shown ready for NRL.

Have to get out of this with the 17 from last night plus Haas.

I will say Carrigan is the only one putting any pressure on, he started the season slowly and his minutes were down but last week his minutes were back up and his runs were with purpose and thought which was his strength last year.

He's one guy that would benefit greatly from just playing every week, he got in a good groove last season in the ISC and by the end of the year was up to 80 minutes.
What do think the qld cup club represent by broncos are angry? I will be angry if my good player didn't play the game. The coaching job on the line in qld cup too.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
TPJ doesnt deserve it because it happens under reasonable reaction time.

It looks bad because Cronk totally relaxes his body in the act of passing. That's on Cronk for having the ball in hand and not expecting to get hit a second after releasing.
Bullshit ... Cronk was hit in the back well after passing the ball, it was a dangerous cheap shot by TPJ.

If JWH had have done the same thing to Milford, then yourself and the rest of the Broncos fans would have rightly been calling for blood.

Aggression is great, but that was just plain stupid

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
Bullshit ... Cronk was hit in the back well after passing the ball, it was a dangerous cheap shot by TPJ.

If JWH had have done the same thing to Milford, then yourself and the rest of the Broncos fans would have rightly been calling for blood.

Aggression is great, but that was just plain stupid

Mate he hits him maybe .2-.3 of a second after the ball is passed. In real time rather than slow motion it looks fine to me. If it is late it is very, very fractional. Maybe we should just make a rule that you aren't allowed to tackle the halves at all. Thurston could even come back and play another season or 2.

Ftr I did compare it to JWH on milf last season and am genuinely curious as to JWH's punishment. Can't for the life of me remember.

Last edited:
K

Kev_Guz

BRL Player
Apr 5, 2019
Hi all,
Looong time reader, first time poster (extremely rare that I contribute to a forum as well). I'll probably start off by rustling a few feathers by saying I have enjoyed reading about 50% of what I read on here certainly some knowledgeable folk the other 50% strike me more as people that tend to care more about the aesthetics of our team rather than reality. Regardless after that game and a few rums I've decided I want to have a rant about our season start and it is as follows. More than happy for back and forth debate but getting into a pissing match doesn't interest me.

Rant:
So considering Coach Seibold is a stats man. Here is a quick little summary of our first 4 rounds back to the last time we started a season as 1 from 4. Obviously this doesn't take into consideration the hard draw we had this year. But it does show the bad sign that the last time we started a season with 1 of 4 we failed to make the top 8 and we have conceded the most amount of points compared to previous seasons to that point. I also feel sorry for many of the players who are copping all the heat about our attacking prowess when all attacking scenarios clearly start with defence. Which I believe should be the foundation of any good side. If defence struggles as much as it has been you're doomed to lose in regards to field position and possession which obviously will affect any form of attack due mainly to excess fatigue and poor positioning of starts of sets. This is generally a whole team problem and defending as a unit needs to always take precedent over individual brilliance. Defence needs to be the first and foremost priority. Yes there are players in the team struggling for form, but it doesn't matter how many of them get dropped or replaced because whoever comes in will suffer the same fate until the defensive lapses of the team as a whole are rectified.
2019: 1W-3L
For- 69 Against- 93 (-24)
2018: 2W-2L
For- 59 Against- 87 (-28)
End of season- 6th
2017: 2W-2L
For- 71 Against- 65 (+6)
End of season- 3rd
2016: 3W-1L
For- 85 Against-57 (+28)
End of season- 5th
2015: 2W-2L
For- 76 Against- 84 (-8)
End of season- 2nd
2014: 3W-1L
For- 96 Against-74 (+22)
End of season- 8th
2013: 1W-3L
For- 62 Against- 68 (-6)
End of season- 12th

Last edited:
tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
Mate he hits him maybe .2-.3 of a second after the ball is passed. In real time rather than slow motion it looks fine to me. If it is late it is very, very fractional. Maybe we should just make a rule that you aren't allowed to tackle the halves at all. Thurston could even come back and play another season or 2.

Ftr I did compare it to JWH on milf last season and am genuinely curious as to JWH's punishment. Can't for the life of me remember.

JWH didn't even get cited for it

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Really? That's ridiculous. Penalty is sufficient. In real time it's borderline ok, only a split second late. I would compare it to JWH's on milf last year. What did he end up getting?

The commentators did their best to crucify him last night though. Johns, Thurston, Sterling (3 halves)

Greg Alexander on fox did his best to make him look like the Antichrist as well, not that he has any intellectual integrity.

It looks so much worse in slow motion than it actually is. 2 weeks is ridiculous.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I think it was awful tbh. Blokes back was turned and he hit him. He could have easily just wrapped his arms around him instead. He would still have made impact, but not as bad. I agree with the likes of JT, it's a dog shot and only a matter of time before we see a serious injury from one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Scdeac
  • heartly87
  • thenry
  • Manofoneway
  • kwomo
  • pennywisealfie
  • mitch222
  • Bish
  • winslow_wong
  • Sproj
  • Hurrijo
  • Fitzy
  • Strop
  • Aldo
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.