Round 5 Historic Match - Broncos vs Cowboys

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
This week we have selected the Round 1 match of the 2009 NRL season.

The match will be streamed live on Facebook and Youtube at 7:30 pm Friday 10th April 2020

Enjoy!!!

Broncos
Cowboy
1. Karmichael Hunt
2. Antonio Winterstein
17. Steve Michaels
4. Israel Folau
5. Jharal Yow Yeh
6. Darren Lockyer (C)
7. Peter Wallace
8. Nick Kenny
9. Aaron Gorrell
10. Joel Clinton
11. Sam Thaiday
12. Ben Te'o
13. Corey Parker

3. Alex Glenn
14. Andrew McCullough
15. Lagu Setu
15. David Taylor
1. Matt Bowen
2. Ty Williams
19. Shannon Hegarty
4. Willie Tonga
5. Ben Farrar
6. Travis Burns
7. Johnathon Thurston (C)
16. Shane Tronc
9. Aaron Payne
10. Antonio Kaufusi
11. Manase Manuokafoa
12. Ben Harris
13. Luke O'Donnell

8. Carl Webb
14. Clint Amos
15. Matthew Scott
17. Scott Bolton
Coach: Ivan HenjakCoach: Neil Henry
Officials: Jared Maxwell, Tony De Las HerasVenue: Suncorp Stadium

And we're live on both Facebook and YouTube.

K with another mistake.

Could be another tough call there, it appeared that Hegarty made a play on the first pass and in this case Bowen/JT were playing at the ball.

North Queensland are just handing Brisbane opportunity after opportunity here.

Brisbane with a lot of pill but they can't get the ball into the hands of their attacking weapons.

Lockyer tries to force the play by going long to Michaels, but Michaels barely keeps his feet as Hegarty claims him easily. If Lockyer had have found K off his hip, they could have played the numbers.

Brisbane's line-speed virtually non-existent 20 minutes into the game, Cowboys with a good opportunity but Hegarty goes for the selfish play out of dummy half and turns the ball over cheaply.

And just like that the Cowboys turn it over cheaply and Brisbane make them pay. Winterstein with a strong run down the touchline puts them right in the attack before a fresh Dave Taylor busts through 5 tackles to send Parker over.

I forgot just how whistle happy the refs were at the start of that 2009 season.

A gem of a pass from Locky creates an overlap but Lexi decides to go himself and drops the pill.

Then Lexi milks a penalty to deny the Cowboys a try. Not bad from the rookie.

Broncos got very lucky there.

I like Winterstein. He really has no fear. He'll go for it even if his chances don't look good.

Broncos got very lucky there.

I'd have to see it again, it did look like Lexi took the blocker and not the other way around.

And yeah the two referee system has always been my big takeaway of this game. It wasn't exactly good Rugby League rather a spate of errors and penalties that gave teams opportunities.

I like Winterstein. He really has no fear. He'll go for it even if his chances don't look good.

He'll also take himself into touch to make it easier for the opposition.

He's played well and from memory he had a really good rookie season for the Broncos, I seem to recall 2010 being something of a sophmore slump though.

I've liked the battle between Folau and Tonga. I think Tonga has done a pretty good job containing Folau. The Cowboys along with Tonga haven't given the Broncos much of a chance to set up for a kick to Folau.

Gee what a moment there.

Bowen swoops past Michaels and Winterstein in the in-goal, hands the ball over to Hegarty who is immediately dragged into touch by Wallace and Winter.

And Winter gets his just desserts. What a kick from K the 22 year old in his final season.

Sammy has had a couple of strong carries, but gee he's made some dumb mistakes this game. I remember Setu being really disappointing, but no memory of Sam being particularly bad in this game.

Tackle from Folau on O'Donnell! Not known for his defence but that was a great tackle from Israel.

Last edited:
There's that pet play by Karmichael Hunt.

I've missed that.

Joel Clinton's time at the Broncos wasn't great, but he still had some good moments.

That was one of them. Always enjoyed watching Webb get put on his ass.

Don't worry guys, I've got a feeling the Broncos are going to hit back soon enough.

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • Hurrijo
  • Alec
  • Harry Sack
  • Skathen
  • bazza
  • Fitzy
  • Justwin
  • BroncosAlways
  • Wolfie
  • Sproj
  • MrTickyMcG
  • LittleDavey
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.