vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough, again I thought the fact he is a hooker is self explanatory but I did clarify in the last post.

But is that enough? Is Hetherington going to relieve pressure on Paix or add to it? Why do something that won't improve the situation?

Didn't last night show that a hooker that once played there two years ago isn't going to be able to do it at NRL?

But is that enough? Is Hetherington going to relieve pressure on Paix or add to it? Why do something that won't improve the situation?

Didn't last night show that a hooker that once played there two years ago isn't going to be able to do it at NRL?

I feel like you being a bit daft for no understandable reason. What is your solution? You are often quick to criticise but rarely put your own view out there for fear the same will happen to you I guess.

So, seeing as you seem to want me to really dumb it down, I will.

Current hookers in the Broncos squad:

1. Turpin
2. Bird
3. Paix
4. Hetherington

Turpin is unavailable due to a leg injury. Bird is always injured and hasn't played since the stone age. Paix is not really a hooker as you have so often said yourself, so if he is going to be starting hooker, he needs help. By default, there is one other hooker in the squad, guess who? No, I won't make you do that, I'll spell it out H-e-t-h-e-r-i-n-g-t-o-n (spells Hetherington and he is number 4 on the list).

Now, to fill you in on details you may not be aware of because I haven't said them in detail, the Broncos did have another two hookers in the recent past - one named McCullough and the other named Kodi Nikorima. Now, Nikorima left a few years ago, so he isn't really an option. The other, McCullough has also left, just in the last two weeks or so in fact.

If I am assuming you didn't know that, there you go, so he isn't an option either. Now, there is another guy who could play hooker - Staggs - but I didn't consider him because centre is just as much of a mess and he happens to be quite good there.

There was also another guy named Harry Grant who quite a few (even you possibly) wanted Brisbane to go after but they apparently didn't, so not much more to the story there. There were even a couple of other kids who used to be at the club who were also unsurprisingly not considered since they are no longer at the club.

On top of all this, there is talk of Brisbane chasing another club's spare hookers but none of this has actually happened, so it wasn't considered for inclusion of a player not currently at the club. Otherwise, I could have inserted any of Peats, Rein, Farah, Luke, B.Smith, et al but you would have noticed I didn't.

In addition, there is not second-grade comp currently running and so none of the QRL, NSWRL or Koori Knock-Out league hookers were considered either.

Would you like me to elaborate on anything else?

Last edited:
With Siebold say Coates will get a shot next week I hope it's not just throwing useless back on the bench. He either needs to take Boyd or Oates spot and shoe commitment.

With Siebold say Coates will get a shot next week I hope it's not just throwing useless back on the bench. He either needs to take Boyd or Oates spot and show commitment.

I feel like you being a bit daft for no understandable reason. What is your solution? You are often quick to criticise but rarely put your own view out there for fear the same will happen to you I guess.

So, seeing as you seem to want me to really dumb it down, I will.

Current hookers in the Broncos squad:

1. Turpin
2. Bird
3. Paix
4. Hetherington

Turpin is unavailable due to a leg injury. Bird is always injured and hasn't played since the stone age. Paix is not really a hooker as you have so often said yourself, so if he is going to be starting hooker, he needs help. By default, there is one other hooker in the squad, guess who? No, I won't make you do that, I'll spell it out H-e-t-h-e-r-i-n-g-t-o-n (spells Hetherington and he is number 3 on the list).

Now, to fill you in on details you may not be aware of because I haven't said them in detail, the Broncos did have another two hookers in the recent past - one named McCullough and the other named Kodi Nikorima. Now, Nikorima left a few years ago, so he isn't really an option. The other, McCullough has also left, just in the last two weeks or so in fact.

If I am assuming you didn't know that, there you go, so he isn't an option either. Now, there is another guy who could play hooker - Staggs - but I didn't consider him because centre is just as much of a mess and he happens to be quite good there.

There was also another guy named Harry Grant who quite a few (even you possibly) wanted Brisbane to go after but they apparently didn't, so not much more to the story there. There were even a couple of other kids who used to be at the club who were also unsurprisingly not considered since they are no longer at the club.

On top of all this, there is talk of Brisbane chasing another club's spare hookers but none of this has actually happened, so it wasn't considered for inclusion of a player not currently at the club. Otherwise, I could have inserted any of Peats, Rein, Farah, Luke, B.Smith, et al but you would have noticed I didn't.

In addition, there is not second-grade comp currently running and so none of the QRL, NSWRL or Koori Knock-Out league hookers were considered either.

Would you like me to elaborate on anything else?

Mate asking someone why they pick someone shouldn't upset them. Surely you know why you're picking a player- surely you have seen them play and can say these are the four reasons I think it will work?

You say I don't give my view then all through your post copy what I have said for the last three years- I have said word for word what will happen when they play NRL.- doesn't make a lot of sense to say I lack a view.

I'm not one for just nominating throwing in guys and just seeing how it goes. But with that said, I do think it's reasonable to say that even if Hetherington was only a BRL standard Dummy Half, that still puts his abilities in the role ahead of Niu or Bullemor or Hopoate or whoever else would deputise for Paix.

Given that it's abundantly clear Paix can't get through 80 minutes on his own yet we simply HAVE to provide him some relief for a portion of the game and I fail to see how the only other bloke with any Dummy Half experience isn't the best option from what we have left to choose from until Turpin or Glenn can come back on deck.

Last edited:
Mate asking someone why they pick someone shouldn't upset them. Surely you know why you're picking a player- surely you have seen them play and can say these are the four reasons I think it will work?

You say I don't give my view then all through your post copy what I have said for the last three years- I have said word for word what will happen when they play NRL.- doesn't make a lot of sense to say I lack a view.

And surely you can read the reasons already posted.

How about
6.Dearden
7.Croft
9.milford
14.paix
Or
6.milford
7.croft
9.dearden
14.paix

I mean I’d rather Milford not be in the 17, but we know that isn’t going to happen. Couldn’t be any worse then last night.
Is it coincidental that both milford and hunt have turned to shit?

Last edited:
I'm not one for just nominating throwing in guys and just seeing how it goes. But with that said, I do think it's reasonable to say that even if Hetherington was only a BRL standard Dummy Half, that still puts his abilities in the role ahead of Niu or Bullemor or Hopoate or whoever else would deputise for Paix.

Given that it's abundantly clear Paix can't get through 80 minutes on his own yet we simply HAVE to provide him some relief for a portion of the game and I fail to see how the only other bloke with any Dummy Half experience isn't the best option from what we have left to choose from until Turpin or Glenn can come back on deck.

I understand all of that but to me 'he will do' never got a team out of a hole. If you're that down on troops you need to get the guys through to figure it out and find a way. That side last night was the best that could be on the field with what they have- there is nothing else.

I knew Paix had limitations and I stated them so I was very clear from the start what I expected but if you're down to BRL options I think you need to get Paix through, sure up the forwards and make sure that will improve because that will help Paix. Not making 100 more tackles than the other team will certainly keep him in the game more and mean he won't be so gassed.

Four forwards on the bench and not being so cute with interchanges will help him. If he was absolutely out on his feet, put him at half for 10 minutes and move Milford into dummy half. His team mates need to help him out- scoots out of dummy half or a strong defender coming into the middle for a while could nurse him through.

If you improve 10 other things you will improve Paix's chances of getting through a game and playing the next month. It doesn't have to be a hooker any hooker on the bench.

Last edited:
And surely you can read the reasons already posted.

You just picked him and didn't say anything, surely you can see that naming him would involve a question. If Seibold was to name him Tuesday do you think someone would ask why?

I understand all of that but to me 'he will do' never got a team out of a hole. If you're that down on troops you need to get the guys through to figure it out and find a way. That side last night was the best that could be on the field with what they have- there is nothing else.

I knew Paix had limitations and I stated them so I was very clear from the start what I expected but if you're down to BRL options I think you need to get Paix through, sure up the forwards and make sure that will improve because that will help Paix. Not making 100 more tackles than the other team will certainly keep him in the game more and mean he won't be so gassed.

Four forwards on the bench and not being so cute with interchanges will help him. If he was absolutely out on his feet, put him at half for 10 minutes and move Milford into dummy half. His team mates need to help him out- scoots out of dummy half or a strong defender coming into the middle for a while could nurse him through.

If you improve 10 other things you will improve Paix's chances of getting through a game and playing the next month. It doesn't have to be a hooker any hooker on the bench.
Those are all more than valid points. I completely agree. We made life hell for a guy who was already going to be flat out getting through 60 minutes, let alone 80.

I'd only ask whether it's more realistic what we can sort those 10 things out by next week, or that we're still going to need to cover him for 20 minutes with someone who has a least some grasp on how to play the role?

I just think in the modern game it's far too critical a position to leave it to a rookie Backrower or a teenage Fullback/Centre to pick up the slack if Paix has to come off the field.

I'm not saying Hetherington would have solved all out problems, that would be fanciful, but it can't realistically have made it much worse.

Last edited:
I think Manly will finish top 4 with the Eels, Roosters and Raiders and can probably go all the way. Unless there is a seriously drastic turnaround we will get pumped again.

I would play Dearden over Croft.

How about
6.Dearden
7.Croft
9.milford
14.paix
Or
6.milford
7.croft
9.dearden
14.paix

I mean I’d rather Milford not be in the 17, but we know that isn’t going to happen. Couldn’t be any worse then last night.
Is it coincidental that both milford and hunt have turned to shit?

Both milf and Hunt got the big pay day and pulled up stumps. But yeah if Milford was at dummy half I’d be telling him to just run and engage the line at speed. Draw in the defence and pass off to our forwards to get good metres. That would mean more fitness and getting hit off the ball more. Which is a big ask for Milford.

Last edited:
Croft deserves to be in the side over Milford.

Probably right, but Milford played well when paired with Dearden. Croft just doesn't offer a lot and I would prefer to see a Dearden/Milford combination. I know I almost definitely in the minority on this.
[automerge]1591328638[/automerge]
If you've looked at our two Halves in the last two weeks and honestly concluded that it's Croft that is our problem of the two, then I'm sorry, but I think Rugby League might not be the sport for you.

Croft hasn't been good either, other than that one run against Eels, but I get where you are coming from. I wouldn't die on this hill, but I just rate Croft as highly as others.

Last edited:
Probably right, but Milford played well when paired with Dearden. Croft just doesn't offer a lot and I would prefer to see a Dearden/Milford combination. I know I almost definitely in the minority on this.
Croft is the only half that has offered literally anything in the past two games. Milford has even taken a backseat on his kicking in the opponents half which might be the only thing he excels at anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Swordfish
  • mitch222
  • Culhwch
  • Broncorob
  • leon.bott
  • broncoscope
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Johnny92
  • Bucking Beads
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Skathen
  • BRC088
  • porouian
  • Lurker
  • Xzei
  • MrRobot
  • Broncosgirl
  • GCBRONCO
  • whykickamoocow
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.