Round 5 - Titans vs. Broncos - Post Match Discussion

Can someone tell the Channel 9 crew that it's Gillett (as in Fillet) not Gillette as in razor ...

No. It's Gillett, the best a man can get :biggrin:
He wouldn't have a cult following if his name was pronounced Gillett like Fillet :tongue_smilie:

tonight was a massive positive. we started a little slow but by half time i was very confident we'd run away with it in the second half, and we did.

something clicked with the side after the titans scored their first try because immediately afterwards the forwards were running in pairs/groups and all of a sudden we were making metres.

its one of the better wins we've had in a while imo. why? because pretty much all of our tries came from good constructive footy. there were no flukes. really liked the attack.

i thought wallace played really well and norman had a blinder. im honestly very disappointed he is leaving the club. normans kicks almost always find the turf whereas our halves seem certain to boot it straight down the back 3's throat. i love the spark hunt provides and i think he deserves more time on field. macca is still a little too slow but he was better in that second half. prince is hte biggest concern for me.

lui and hala were good in their short stints and its a shame lui picked up that injury. hala i hope is just being warmed into more minutes.

really satisfying win for me and i think this puts us in a great position to keep the momentum going against the cowboys.

im reasonably well pissed so probably sound a little over excited.

Last edited:
Loved everything about that win, things are starting to click especially in attack.

How does Hannant get through all that work when he looks like he weighs 150kg? machine.

Norman should do a runner on Parra if he's gonna continue to improve like this.

Ben Hunt should be our halfback, I dunno about 5/8 but Prince and Wallace have too many shockers in them.

Maranta has gone backwards... that story about him being quick is rubbish - get Kemp in there when he's fit.

Some people really need to put their brain in gear before engaging keyboard.

I know constructive criticism is sound, but at BHQ it seems to be like this: Let's bag the halves whether or not they deserve it, because it's the "in" thing to do!
Wallace plays a great game, Prince is improving and the team is starting to gel, but hey let's just ignore that, and let's put Norman and Hunt in the halves! :glare:

Let's ignore that despite a new spine combination and scores of injuries, we have been pretty strong defensively and created a total of 14 tries against the 1st, 2nd and 4th (now 6th) teams on the ladder, most of them from excellent team plays, not flukes!
After all, it is the in thing to do... :001_rolleyes:

We have been the team that has consistently created most difficulties for the top teams in the NRL currently, and if we consistently keep improving the way we have, not only will we make the top 8 with ease, we will compete for a top 4 spot!

Yes, the second half against Manly was pretty bad, especially the way we didn't stand up and got rolled. Yes, the Roosters game wasn't much to write home about, but let's put things into perspective and realise the criticism has been way over the top!

Last night against the Titans, I got pretty relaxed and confident early in the game, because we were the much better team. Only a freaky individual action broke the hold we had on the game for a while and the 12-10 result at half-time was nowhere near a reflection of what was happening on the field.
Our forwards were imposing the respect the Titans yearn for, but haven't earned.
The halves and FB were building on their combinations and feeding good ball to the fringes.
Our second rowers were hitting holes and running hard at the line.
Hodges was his usual self, Reed turned back the clock and Hoffman is turning into a try scoring machine.

Okay, not everything is rosy, Macca is still too slow, Maranta seems to be lacking self-confidence and Prince is nowhere near his best, but I am not at all unhappy with where we are at the moment, and will remain so as long as the trend keeps going up.

We beat a very good team with one of the best forward packs in the comp, and we did so with ease!
We did that thanks to the way our halves and FB took advantage of the plaform laid by our forwards, so maybe we should give some credit where it is due...!

Don't know what the prince hate is about. Created Matt gillete's try. He was instrumental in two others. Having a second long pass off Wallace is getting us outside teams. Having Wallace, prince and Norman is making us dangerous. Big defence all night. Watched the redcliffe trial and taylor and Idris caused us issues. Last night we smashed them. How much difference does Hala make.....machine

If it aint broke .... and it isn't. Two very strong performances and can only get better.

While Prince did the deft pass, the thing I loved about Gillett's try was that he was positioned with ample room to come steaming onto the ball.

At last! What's happened? Not only are we creating overlaps on both sides, we are starting to realize the effectiveness of the best back row in the comp.

Norman is proving such a difference no when he comes into the line. Unlike Hoffman, he has a FB's instincts and it certainly shows.

Well done Parramatta

Prince still needs to get better. He improved as the match went on though. Wallace played well but he is just so consistent in making a brain fart just when we need a good last tackle option. McCullough is hard to read. He needs to step up.

I think prince will mate. I think Norman is a fullback or centre and have done since u 20s. The difference between this year and last is that we have two long passes and then Norman gets it. Have a look at the Hodges try its the ball to Norman that creates the try cause it put Norman outside the defender....love we are now scoring well constructed tries and we don't need to score through bombs and rebounds atm

I know constructive criticism is sound, but at BHQ it seems to be like this: Let's bag the halves whether or not they deserve it, because it's the "in" thing to do!
Wallace plays a great game, Prince is improving and the team is starting to gel, but hey let's just ignore that, and let's put Norman and Hunt in the halves! :glare:

Let's ignore that despite a new spine combination and scores of injuries, we have been pretty strong defensively and created a total of 14 tries against the 1st, 2nd and 4th (now 6th) teams on the ladder, most of them from excellent team plays, not flukes!

We have been the team that has consistently created most difficulties for the top teams in the NRL currently, and if we consistently keep improving the way we have, not only will we make the top 8 with ease, we will compete for a top 4 spot!

Yes, the second half against Manly was pretty bad, especially the way we didn't stand up and got rolled. Yes, the Roosters game wasn't much to write home about, but let's put things into perspective and realise the criticism has been way over the top!

Last night against the Titans, I got pretty relaxed and confident early in the game, because we were the much better team. Only a freaky individual action broke the hold we had on the game for a while and the 12-10 result at half-time was nowhere near a reflection of what was happening on the field.
Our forwards were imposing the respect the Titans yearn for, but haven't earned.
The halves and FB were building on their combinations and feeding good ball to the fringes.
Hodges was his usual self, Reed turned back the clock and Hoffman is turning into a try scoring machine.

Okay, not everything is rosy, Macca is still too slow, Maranta seems to be lacking self-confidence and Prince is nowhere near his best, but I am not at all unhappy with where we are at the moment, and will remain so as long as the trend keeps going up.

We beat a very good team with one of the best forward packs in the comp, and we did so with ease!
We did that thanks to the way our halves and FB took advantage of the plaform laid by our forwards, so maybe we should give some credit where it is due...!

Great post Porthoz.

Round 1 was done and dusted and everyone was blowing up saying it was obvious that we hadn't worked on our issues at all over the off season. The sky was falling. Lucky the Broncos showed more composure than that, or else we wouldn't have produced a performance like we did last night. It wasn't perfect - but that's the pleasing thing for mine as we smashed what many believe could be a top 4 team and there's still improvement in us.

We are now constructing our tries. No deflections off kicks, not as much flukey stuff. The moves to the left are causing headaches for opposition defence, and on the right is our best attacking weapon in Hodges. The set plays were a result of our halves playing straight. Prince and Wallace have their moment no doubt but last night they clicked a lot better than they have been and took control of the game.

Why people want to bench Gillett I have no idea. You don't want someone of his ability sitting down if he can play 80 minutes.

As one of Norman's biggest critics I have to give him credit for last night. He's going to be wasted if he plays 5/8th at Parra.

Slyney was also pretty good off the bench. He is a hard working prop in the same mould as Anderson by the looks of it. Can't wait to see Hala after a few games in him.

Great performance. If they can repeat that consistently the top 8 is achievable, easily.

If it aint broke .... and it isn't. Two very strong performances and can only get better.

While Prince did the deft pass, the thing I loved about Gillett's try was that he was positioned with ample room to come steaming onto the ball.

At last! What's happened? Not only are we creating overlaps on both sides, we are starting to realize the effectiveness of the best back row in the comp.

Norman is proving such a difference no when he comes into the line. Unlike Hoffman, he has a FB's instincts and it certainly shows.

Well done Parramatta

Except Parramatta plan on him playing 5/8. At this stage of his career he is far better off playing fullback, to aid his development. Whether he wants to ir not. If it was good enough fir Locky to do, then it is good enough for Norman

Was so impressed by the broncos last night. Echoing what many have said there is just so much to be impressed by at the moment. The fact that we belted a team that have been talked up for the top 4, without a host of players, and that we are actually constructing great tries and not just passing to hodgo and hoping. Love it!

The turn around since the Roosters game has been remarkable. Still some clear problems with our halves but our forwards have really stood up and we were even trying to offload. Shits me that Norman is playing well after signing with Parra.

Agreed with most of what you've said there Porthoz except for the bolded part. Wallace does not play a great game.......he's ordinary at best. Last night he played well, other than the missed tackle on Kelly and the fact that he was kicking straight down Zillman's throat for much of the game

and before you go off on a Wallace V Prince rant......I'm not saying Prince has been going well either, although Prince has got class and is starting to settle into the team well. Last night the pair of them had their best games together, as a halves pairing.

Something that's been over looked and I think it has been the biggest reason we have finally clicked in attack is that we are now starting to play with some depth. A lot of us were pointing out that most of our woes were due to everyone standing flat footed. Something must have happened during the half time break against Melbourne because from then on we have really been constructing our backline well and we seem to have magically found some room to move. Well, it's not magic ......it's simply standing deeper in attack.

I thought Hannant, Parker and in the 2nd half Gillett really stood up for us....though in saying that there weren't really any brisbane forwards (including the bench) who didn't play a role in laying down the foundation for a terrific win. Lui starting to show some confidence until he was injured. Hala, with fitness and confidence will be handy to have in the side. He's going to grow into a powerhouse for us in due time.

Maranta......well, I don't think we're going to see anything more out of this bloke. It really struck me just how slow his is when he failed to capitalise on Norman's half break and then again off Norman's grubber through. He's solid......plays a safe game, but we could do with someone else who will offer a bit more. Not sure if I want to persist with him until Yow Yeh is ready.....keen to get some speed out there. How's Kemp coming along?

Corey Norman......all the Norman haters must be squirming in their seats about now. He showed us last night what he can do when his confidence is up. Whether or not he is staying with us next year....I wouldn't be moving him from fullback. He has improved with each and every game this year. There is still much more improvement in him to come.

The team is starting to settle........5 rounds in and we are starting to look and play like real premiership contenders.

*gets excited that we are playing well, then realizes origin is on in a few weeks to **** our season up anyway* :(

*gets excited that we are playing well, then realizes origin is on in a few weeks to **** our season up anyway* :(

We'll probably only lose Hodges and Thaiday so i don't think we'll be that disrupted.

Active Now

• Fatboy
  • Brocko
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncosgirl
  • broncsgoat
  • Astro
  • Dash
  • Broncorob
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Galah
  • Foordy
  • Strop
  • Mustafur
  • Battler
  • davidp
  • Bongo
  • mrslong
  • Fozz
  • matthewransom34@ic
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.