POST GAME [Round 6, 2022] Panthers vs Broncos

To be fair, it would be difficult for anything to take the left second rower position off the goat himself - lane

The only issue i really see with Matto other than his salary is he has had 2 or 3 bad concussions.

A really good first half as they really took it to Penrith for a bit there and had them concerned for a brief moment. ARey dictated that game early and thank God that Kevvie didn't pay attention to BHQ's cries of "drop that fucking Staggs". He is again the best centre in the game and is Origin bound.

Predictably, Penrith ran away with a 28-6 scoreline in the second half and ended up amassing 2100 running mtrs which is diabolical but typical of what we have seen these past 3-4 years. Some positive signs out there tonight though. Staggs ARey, Palasia, Oates were terrific. Riki amassed another whopping 39 mtrs to add to his 5 missed tackles. Definitely need more from him. Hoeter had a good debut, didn't embarrass himself out there. The 6, 9 and 1 positions continue to be a massive Achilles heal.
Yeah Reynolds is on his own in the spine. Nui was going pretty well until he fucked himself but we are massively struggling in the 1, 6 and 9.

I thought Paix was disappointing. We struggled defensively when Turpin went off.

Even though Billy was close to invisible tonight, he didn't throw an intercept. Yay?

Yeah Reynolds is on his own in the spine. Nui was going pretty well until he fucked himself but we are massively struggling in the 1, 6 and 9.

I thought Paix was disappointing. We struggled defensively when Turpin went off.
Maybe Matt Purcell is back on the table.

As was laughed about in the 9 commentary….. he’s very slow off the mark these days. I love the guy but he needs to become a bargain buy imo.
Oh yeah don’t get me wrong he has slowed down. Which to an extent is actually fixable (e.g. sprint coach). But by no means is he getting paid near what he is in at the moment. I might say a cheeky 300-350 deal for 2-3 years to finish his career. Keep in mind he is 28 and slow so come 30-31 his time will be up. He will be a one club player and he will have the ability to get a gig in radio, on tv, do his own thing whilst he is still relevant.

Maybe Matt Purcell is back on the table.

Its going to have to be somebody like that i reckon. Another player i still think we could do worse than have a look at again is Brendan Frei from Norths. Come back from his ACL and back to his usual self.

Haven't seen Capewell copping any criticism. I think it's about time, he's been disgraceful. For the amount of money we're paying him, he offers next to nothing outside of his tackling. We may as well have brought Fensom out of retirement.

Round 1 - 80 minutes, 6 runs, 53 metres, 2 tackle busts, 0 offloads
Round 2 - 80 minutes, 3 runs, 31 metres, 1 tackle bust, 0 offloads
Round 3 - 66 minutes, 5 runs, 46 metres, 1 tackle bust, 1 offload
Round 5 - 80 minutes, 6 runs, 64 metres, 0 tackle busts, 0 offloads
Round 6 - 80 minutes, 9 runs, 72 metres, 2 tackle busts, 1 offload

Like.. what have we got here? He's arguably having less impact on games (outside of the extremely out of character field goal & cut-out pass in Round 1) than Alex Glenn was having in his twilight years.

Haven't seen Capewell copping any criticism. I think it's about time, he's been disgraceful. For the amount of money we're paying him, he offers next to nothing outside of his tackling. We may as well have brought Fensom out of retirement.

Round 1 - 80 minutes, 6 runs, 53 metres, 2 tackle busts
Round 2 - 80 minutes, 3 runs, 31 metres, 1 tackle bust
Round 3 - 66 minutes, 5 runs, 46 metres, 1 tackle bust
Round 5 - 80 minutes, 6 runs, 64 metres, 0 tackle busts
Round 6 - 80 minutes, 9 runs, 72 metres, 2 tackle busts

Like.. what have we got here? He's arguably having less impact on games (outside of the extremely out of character field goal & cut-out pass in Round 1) than Alex Glenn was having in his twilight years.
The reality is that Capewell isn't the player some fans thought he was. Compare his numbers to what he was producing at Penrith and there really isn't that much difference. If Brisbane had as much ball and opportunities Capes was able to enjoy at Penrith, he'd be thereabouts again.

The reality is that Capewell isn't the player some fans thought he was. Compare his numbers to what he was producing at Penrith and there really isn't that much difference. If Brisbane had as much ball and opportunities Capes was able to enjoy at Penrith, he'd be thereabouts again.
Yeah, seems a few here had the wrong expectations. He’s pretty much been doing what he always has.

I'm stoked for Jensen. He was finally given an opportunity to show what he could do and did not disappoint. Made good metres and got quick play the balls (which a decent 9 would have taken advantage of).

Oates was great and made catching cleary's bombs look easy. He has saved that left side often with his rushing defence and I love that he snaps them in half. You can see they look out for him the next time they take the ball that way and the passes often go astray because they see him coming.

Reynolds kicking game was fantastic and kept us in the game as long as he could.

Our 9 options are so frustrating. Turpin is good in defence but 0 in attack. Not only does he not run but he telegraphs where he is passing it and gives poor service so our attack is clunky. Paix shows a bit more deception but does not have great line speed (this is usually led by the 9) and struggles to stop players momentum in tackles. It was not a coincidence that penrith started marching us up field when turpin was off.

Walters steps off his left foot and that is it.. Teams are aware and are not falling for it. He does not have great ball play or running threat

I think he hasnt been great so far, but his effort plays have been there. More meters would be nice, but i dont think its everything.

I agree, but I suppose but it's made worse that none of our other non-prop forwards are running big numbers

If you've only got 2 forwards making metres, the shortcomings of the others will be a lot more noticeable

Where Capewell should be making his metres is running off the 6, one on one at the opposition half, alot of times Billy has been running it himself when we've come that way and not sure what Albert was doing.
Most games this year we've defended more than we've attacked.
Gamble playing in that 6 jersey would bring Capewell more into the game I think.

We had no ball in the second half, everything went Penrith way, the PTB was one speed for them, and another for us. Before it blew out in the second half there was a distinct moment, we had fielded a grubber and were working it out on first tackle and Yeo held down for an enternity, and it was just ignored. It was easily slower than any of the dozen penalties Penrith were given throughout the game. That is what happens in the nrl now, thanks to the arbitrary nature of the 6again rule, the dominant teams are given leeway while the “lesser” sides are punished, usually for less.
Here's the thing that gets me...

The whole complexion of the game changed in one passage brought about by the new rules.

Off two set restarts, Brisbane spread the ball around before going for a settler with Palasia who over-cooks the play and loses the ball attempting to spin out of the tackle presumably for an offload. Palasia makes the tackle, Paix arrives marginally late and the referee decides that at that very moment this has to be a penalty and Brisbane deserve to be punished for such an atrocity. Frustrated and annoyed at Edwards' heckling, Palasia gives Edwards a shove who is getting in his personal space to give him a gobful. Edwards pushes back and somehow it's 12 vs. 12.

Off the back of a modified game, Penrith go back to back to back and it's virtually game over.

We've seen the game make changes to be more entertaining. I fail to see what was entertaining about any of that. I don't understand what was so different about those rucks compared to some others the Broncos dealt with and I still don't think the set restarts add to the spectacle. If anything it just makes players more frustrated.

The less said about the presentation the better. From close-ups of players while the play is in action to commentators spitting out useless bits of trivia the game really is becoming more and more of a turn off.

Jensen should be first prop picked on the bench every game. I think Palasia and Jensen had a strong partnership. I think they should come on together off the bench once the rest of our middle forwards return. That will hopefully mitigate the loss of momentum every time our starting props are interchanged. A rotation of Haas, Carrigan, Flegler, Jensen and Palasia should hopefully mean we never have to use James or Kennedy again, unless injury or suspension forces us to.

Jensen should be first prop picked on the bench every game. I think Palasia and Jensen had a strong partnership. I think they should come on together off the bench once the rest of our middle forwards return. That will hopefully mitigate the loss of momentum every time our starting props are interchanged. A rotation of Haas, Carrigan, Flegler, Jensen and Palasia should hopefully mean we never have to use James or Kennedy again, unless injury or suspension forces us to.
I probably see Jensen more as a starting prop after tonight, both him and Palasia are similar they lay a platform but they don't bring the impact. Maybe starting the game with Jensen, Palasia and Hass (one at 13) and bringing Hetherington, Flegs and Carrigan off the bench so the level doesn't drop.

I probably see Jensen more as a starting prop after tonight, both him and Palasia are similar they lay a platform but they don't bring the impact. Maybe starting the game with Jensen, Palasia and Hass (one at 13) and bringing Hetherington, Flegs and Carrigan off the bench so the level doesn't drop.
That's a fair point. Though I guess my thought process was that at this stage I'm not really concerned about having impact off the bench from our front rowers. Instead, I'm looking for two reliable props who can continue laying a platform and can continue getting us going forward when Haas and Carrigan are interchanged.

For far too long, that is the part of the game where we fall away from the opposition and start losing the yardage battle. The moment we struggle with our go forward, we start having to defend repeat sets, and that's where teams seem to pile on consecutive tries in quick concession.

But if we can have two starting quality forwards coming off the bench, we can stay on the front foot and get the team into position to let Reynolds use his kicking game to build pressure.

At the moment with our bench forwards, Reynolds can't pin the opposition down in their own end and he can't force drop outs since we struggle to get out of our own end.

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • Harry Sack
  • DrGee
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Hurrijo
  • Financeguy
  • Kenny powers
  • Scdeac
  • Waynesaurus
  • Gaz
  • Nightwatchman
  • thenry
  • LGH
  • bert_lifts
  • lynx000
  • Broncosgirl
  • jarro65
  • Bucking Beads
  • Stix
  • Howie
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.