Round 6 - Broncos vs Panthers

Yeah our forwards, particularly lodge and TPJ, really took it to penrith and just bullied them. Cocky little penrith twats were not so cocky after copping some hits from them last night.

I think our team showed the comp how to beat penrith.

I also think bullemore was within his rights to go back and give crichton a cuddle after he (a middle forward) stepped around him easily without barely being touched to score.

Lodge's performance last night just blew me away. I never thought he had it in him. He was consistently damaging from go to whoa. Fantastic game.

Pangai was equally inspiring. Confirmed what many of us thought about him being ideal on the edge. Fantastic game. He absolutely terrorised the Panthers as did the entire pack.

It's that sort of inspired play which lifts a side. Once we get our support plays right, the sky is the limit, especially once we have our best team on the park.

Yeah, imo he was barely even holding onto the spot early in the season but he has been improving. He’s gotten much better under the high ball.

He lacks a lot of the nuance of playing fullback and though his positioning is still awful in attack and defence, it has improved since early on.

A big thing I noticed last night is that we were getting the numbers right in defence more often. I’m not sure if this was Isaako or not but Dearden would often be seemingly reading the play and changing which side of the ruck he was on.

Either Isaako is communicating it better or Kev has given up on that and told Dearden to take it upon himself to fix the numbers.
Definitely got the defensive numbers game better in the second half. I thought Oates was pushing his luck so far infield with Staines out wide but someone was out there to make Staines think twice and then Oates collected him from the side and took him over the sideline. Hopefully Kev gets onto this on both sides of the field. Thankfully Oates was able to make those other cover tackles as well, particularly when Flegler muffed it in the middle.

Seems to be an integral part of the club - trying to turn halfbacks into hookers.
Roosters are taking this literally by turning a rugby halfback into a hooker

Attachments

• 553oba.jpg
    553oba.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 34
I think he got tired as the game went on. He made a big miss late in the game. Otherwise i thought he was fine. Pretty sure he tackled Kikau at one point too and they're on opposite sides of the field.
He did. One on one

One man can do a hell of a lot of damage to a footy side and its not all about what happens on the field. Look over in the sheds and see a guy with a frown, have a guy dropping balls in a warm up, have a guy not getting involved in the shed talk gee up. There is a reason back in the day sailors use to chuck people overboard when they felt their bad luck was down to one guy being cursed. It takes some very small things to disrupt a unit, to hurt morale and sometimes just getting rid of that energy is all you need to get some wind in your sails.
You's hate be a Sailor and going through a run of bad luck... In Milford's case I think it showed how much his lack of focus was affecting the play. Croft has poor parts and does not have Milfords talent but his effort will get him there eventually I think. He is only 22. I am hoping hunt coming in will give Dearden and Guidance the experience head and skills to develop them.

Xavier Coates for all his flair in attack needs to develop a bit more when carting it back for mine, he always tends to run sideways? He didn't have much of an impact last night, which isn't ideal given that's what the game plan was. To bomb To'o and have Coates leaping above him, don't think he caught one all night down that end.

Meanwhile Corey Oates was one of the best out there.
I thought Coates was solid bar the passive defensive read that led to the try. He doesn't have that speedy dummy half run like a Brent Tate nor the bulky nuggety run of a Mansour or To'o. He is kind of Awkwardly built for that job like Tupou. I'd like to see him get some steam up and ruck it out more like Oates as he grows into his body more. He certainly has improved it from last year but it still needs work

I think issakos defensive positioning has improved a lot, however he still should be doing homework on kickers we play against i.e. where they like to kick from, what sort of kicks they do etc, so he can position himself better as he is occassionally out of position for kicks.

What does irritate me is that he does not provide ANY support play and generally walks behind the half waiting for a sweep play, which he only ever runs on, and doesnt pass any wider to the centre or winger.

I thought Coates was solid bar the passive defensive read that led to the try. He doesn't have that speedy dummy half run like a Brent Tate nor the bulky nuggety run of a Mansour or To'o. He is kind of Awkwardly built for that job like Tupou. I'd like to see him get some steam up and ruck it out more like Oates as he grows into his body more. He certainly has improved it from last year but it still needs work
That try was more on Kenner I reckon. He was in no mans land. Our edges suck though. Like Dearden holding Alex Glenn’s pocket on the cape well try, way out of position

Throw Staggs and Farnsie into that team last night and we win the game. Brutal defence and lotsa of hard work from the pack last night. Oates kick returns were fantastic. Mega improvement all over the park.

I think its no coincidence that Milford dropped, the pack starts moving forward. Croft and Turpin worked hard and controlling the game in basic ways, keeping it simple proved how much can be said for good field position.
Lots of great performances from the Broncos last night

I think Cleary still wins the game for him. The 40/20, the booming kick out of trouble when we pinned them with our defence, the 2 point field goal, the game winning try. Throw in Luai setting up the try, their spine players make the difference. Even with Staggs and Herbie Cleary still wins it for them. He was quiet in the first half but stood up when it mattered. Cleary was clutch. When we get into these positions our execution was the opposite (errors, bad kicks or Isaako killing the attack due to bad timing in his run or ineffective passing game. I'd put Mead at Fullback). I guess that type of play is brake?

That try was all on kennar. He came right in (which he did several times last night) even though croft and TPJ were there to make the tackle. This left coates on his own marking about 3 players and waiting to get the blame because he was the last bronco jersey on the screen.

That try was more on Kenner I reckon. He was in no mans land. Our edges suck though. Like Dearden holding Alex Glenn’s pocket on the cape well try, way out of position
Both at fault I think. I am not a kennar fan. His defence is not up to standard. He certainly tries hard though

Has there ever been a player with more unwarranted hype than Dearden?

Like, he's a solid player that's young enough to turn in to a very handy footy player, but honestly, I've seen very little which would indicate he'll be anything than a Chad Townsend type. Solid, but very unspectacular in every area.

That try was all on kennar. He came right in (which he did several times last night) even though croft and TPJ were there to make the tackle. This left coates on his own marking about 3 players and waiting to get the blame because he was the last bronco jersey on the screen.
Agree about Kennar but Coates barely moved right from the play the ball

Like, he's a solid player that's young enough to turn in to a very handy footy player, but honestly, I've seen very little which would indicate he'll be anything than a Chad Townsend type. Solid, but very unspectacular in every area.
I see a clever running game and some very good signs. There are mistakes that will disappear as he gets better. His defence early on was poor but he improved it mid game which is a good sign and when he made an error worked hard to defend it. I want to see a long passing and kicking game develop before I think he is a top level half. Cleary showed all the skills last night and it looked effortless. It was great to watch even though it lost us the game

Sione Matautia, Karl Filiga, Brett Seymour, plus heaps more

Yeah I rewatched the game and Dearden on several occasions made cover tackles and multiple per set. Try again
I thought there were a couple of reads early in the game (I could be wrong) that weren't great from memory but after that he was faultless. One he rushed up and got found out which led to a break but he ran back as the second player to make the tackle. I can forgive that very easily given his age, experience and his effort after the error.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.