Round 6 - Broncos vs Panthers

The people who say "we would have won with Milford" is absolutely beyond the point of delusion and should stop watching NRL games.

The people who are saying "nothing to cheer about, we still lost" should go right back to the start of our downfall and relive the last two seasons before they get to watch another Broncos game this year.

The fact this team was able to COMPETE for the full 80 mins with effort in D and fight in their belly means the world. Their efforts weren't being wasted by constant poor 5th tackle options leading to a complete capitulation of frustration.

Could you imagine being a forward like Lodge or Hass and having all your hard fought meters you just battled for, pissed away into the wind by a fat and effortless loser like million dollar Milford?

What do players like that get for their efforts with him calling the shots? You get rewarded with having to defend extra tackle sets coming out of your own end. Yay. You're constantly being put under pressure by your marquee player who refuses to take a dirty hit up. F that.

Glad Lodge was showing how much he's glad to see Anthony dropped. He responded in good faith that's for sure

I thought there were a couple of reads early in the game (I could be wrong) that weren't great from memory but after that he was faultless. One he rushed up and got found out which led to a break but he ran back as the second player to make the tackle. I can forgive that very easily given his age, experience and his effort after the error.
Yeah I saw one that lead to their first try (Capewell try)... but that was hardly all him, the entire edge fell to pieces.

The rest of his efforts were enormous for an 80kg kid. He's tough. . I can understand the want to keep him

Lodge on Kevvie's spray:

“I don’t know if I can repeat too much. He just said, ‘It’s time to have a go or get out’ I think he is taking a different approach. I’m not surprised (at Walters’ approach) because it’s been building for a while hasn’t it? Like I said you can‘t just keep being positive and nice for too long ... it doesn’t work.”

Walters:

“I just want these guys to do well and that‘s the passion in me for this place. It was a good response from them. That (showing some fighting spirit) was part of it, certainly, to each other more than anything and all of our supporters.”

Oates:

“It sucks when you try so hard and we just didn’t capitalise on those chances we had down the other end. We have a lot of things to be happy about, we’ve got to compete like that every week but just finish better. I think we will get better results, but we’ve got to be disappointed with our end of sets and attacking shape when down on their 20-metre line.”

McHunt

Even Oatesy is recognising more than the last full time coach.

Cant wait for next week now....not because we will win or anything, but i just need proof that tonight wanst a one off, that the good things I saw are actually green shoots that allow this team and coach to build upon.

I thought Kev is showing he can now manage a bench rotation correctly. Obviously this takes time as he hasnt had everyone fit and in the team yet + he is a rookie coach, but he really diid a great job with it.

Can he do it next game? Gez i really hope so. Its a key to us starting to win games in the near term...

So happy with that game last night despite the loss. Our pack finally played to the potential that they should be putting out every week, especially Beast Mode Lodge, just sucks to have shit halves. Also, how much of a difference does Corey Oates make to the team with his early-set runs. We've obviously been missing it more than we realised.

**** the media's love affair with the Panthers though. Channel 9 banging on about Cleary And Luai and "how much it means to them", they should be fucking ashamed that they were able to be pushed by last year's spoon team that has only beaten one other team in 17 games or something. Carrying on like they'd just won the GF, they should be relieved and embarrassed.

Cheers for your insight, It is interesting because i think everyone acknowledges Milford has the skills and talent, and you simply cannot blame the performance of an entire team on one guy, but last night was a polarizing look at the team without him. Weather or not it was a coincidence or not will only become clear over the next few weeks without him in the side i suppose.
It was fine and clear last night but I don't think if the weather was different we would have not been as committed😂

Brisbane just provided the template to combat the Panthers,
Belt them, Belt them, and keep belting them. see how they pull up after 4 straight weeks of that.
Mind you, this is the template to use against every team.
Yes, I mentioned that before! We have good forwards. I'm wondering where all the experts telling us 'the game has passed by for Lodge'

It was great to see Kevvie get his bellyache on during the pre-game speech. Too right give them hell, this is our turf and make sure the arrogant pricks like Penriff know they've been in a scrap. Some of the marks on the Penriff boys faces suggested they got fairly towelled up in the close contact work. Croft was quite inspirational with some of the hits he put on Kikau and TPJ was always there to lend a hand. Petro will give him a quiet pat on the back and tell him 'well done son, now the real work begins'. Because having shook the bad boy aggressor tag he now needs to follow this inspirational action man display up next week. Lodge was exceptional but needs to watch his ball security at all times. Capewell obviously done his homework and played directly at the ball.

Turps was another who seemed to thrive in the thick of it and it seemed him and Haas were driving each other on to get stuck into them.We finally got our bench right and if anything we could continue to swap Flegs and Kennedy throughout the year as Flegs still needs time to develop.

The ref was fairly consistent. that is, he seemed to stuff up calls all night. Why the bunker said nothing about Staines backing into Oates with no 'eyes' for the ball' was inexcusable, as was the blatant high shot on Deardon by Momirovski. That's two consecutive weeks Penrith players have whacked an opposition player and escaped untouched.

Oates and to a lesser degree Isaako's cover dfence saved us a few times. I was so used to seeing plays where the winger (Staines in this instance) runs to the line and then steps back inside to leave us cold. Last night Oates and Isaako went tactical nuclear on Staines and absolutely clobbered him before he had any chance of stepping. One of my favorite plays of the night.

Finally, if the ref had not been so hasty to blow the whistle when Penrith coughed the ball up under the sticks Wee Tommy was first to the ball and would've scored under the black dot. 18-12 and us with our tails up I think Penrith would have folded.

To all our members who whinged last week saying they'd seen no improvement since Kevvie took over last night's game must surely shut them up and get them onboard. It's a long hard road we need to travel and the hand Kevvie has been dealt is god awful putrid, but I have faith in him and last night proves beyond a doubt he can coach. Penrith were the picture of humility when the final hooter went. They know they were extremely lucky to get away with that one.

Well done boys - I'm so gald I decided to come out of my room for the second half. Now let's go one better and get some payback with Parra for the last few hidings they've gave us.

What a huge effort that everyone at the club and the fans can be proud of. It's been a couple of years since I've finished a Broncos game and thought that the whole team could really hold their heads high... Great feeling.

I thought we were the better side and there were some really bad penalty calls / no calls that we had to overcome, as well as the fact that according to NRL HIA protocol, Cleary should have been off the field when he kicked the field goal and then scored a try... I'm sure the NRL will stay silent on that one.

This game goes to prove that it isn't a talent problem with this team - it's effort, heart, commitment and toughness. Tonight our boys showed all of them and its no surprise we looked like a completely different team. As many have said, if we play like that every week then we belt most teams in the competition. They have set a benchmark now and I'm really hopeful that the penny has dropped for a lot these guys and these young players realise that how they performed last night is now the expected, necessary level of intensity, commitment and effort week-in-week-out. These young players have seen that they can match it with the best and they should not only take a huge amount of confidence from it, but an understanding of the level expected of them on a consistent basis. With Staggs in the team we probably take that game.

After there's been some derision the last few weeks, I think Kevvie deserves recognition for getting the boys fired up for a big performance and also for his use of the bench, which I thought was very good (unlike other weeks).

In terms of players, Glenn was poor as usual and shouldn't be in the side at all. Oates showed huge heart and performed well - he offers more than Mead and should be in the team if he can consistently produce games like last night. Flegler was moronic and did us no favours - he needs a stint in reserve grade, because Bullemor deserves the game time more.

Dearden was quiet and uninvolved, still finding his feet perhaps? In his defence, he didn't once receive the ball out in front of him in attacking space - these sorts of little things which allow Walker to look like an instant star, Dearden doesn't have and he's struggled to make a mark without them yet, but I'm willing to give him time. Credit also to Croft, who was very good without being brilliant and proved he deserves a place in the team over Milford if solely for the fact that he truly cares and puts in 100% effort.

The standouts were, of course Lodge, TPJ and Haas. Each of them were excellent. Lodge as the tough, enforcer and on-field general, Haas as the constant, unstoppable forward momentum and TPJ as the x-factor looking to create opportunities and turn the game with special plays.

We were an experienced, calm spine player away from taking that game against a historically elite Penrith side. The boys proved to themselves, their coach and their fans that they can tangle with anyone in the comp, and with players coming back (Herbie, Staggs) and some money to throw around in the offseason, if we can continue to replicate that intensity, dedication and performance for the rest of the year, we will have an extremely solid base to get things right for next season and beyond.

Go the Broncs.

I watched the Cleary field goal again and while he was never going to get him, Asiata did come out of marker only for Yeo to impede him. He was already in a 'sleeper' position and then deliberately runs in Asiata's path.

If we had Farnworth and Staggs, we win that game.

This side showed last night that when they put in the effort, they can match it with the best. Now we’ll see if Kevvie can get them performing like that each week.

the next day and i'm still gutted ... but also extremely proud of the performance they put in last night. keep playing like that as a minimum standard and we'll get far more wins than we will losses.

we went toe-to-toe with the best in the league who have won 21 regular season games in a row and 23 out of their last 24 (only losing to the Storm in the GF)

yet it took the Panthers 74 minutes to get us on the ropes and 78 minutes before they landed the knockout punch.

we showed heart, determination and desperation in defence.

there was also some impatience in attack, which we need to get rid of.

there were plenty of good signs and they should take heaps of confidence out of that match.

if only we had of gone for the field goal with 10mins left when attacking inside their 20 instead of going for the kick to coates. changes everything.

Panthers definitely weren't at their best, they probably expected an easy win. That was a good thing for the Broncos, allowed the game to stay close and hopefully increase their confidence.

Active Now

• Ras
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.