Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

M

Maddy1to9

QCup Player
Sep 13, 2017
Boyd had zero chance of getting that ball. You can criticise him for not allowing for the possibility of it hitting the posts, but once it did, there was no way he’d get to it before the Warriors.
Well, he could've atleast made an attempt to stop Green from putting it down instead of playing hide & seek. Also, he should stop running behind the ball instead attack it.

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
Mad Butcher: Wayne Bennett on being the best person you can be
Sir Peter Leitch 08:54, April 16 2018
1523825663995.jpg

GETTY IMAGES
Coach Wayne Bennett during the Brisbane Broncos NRL training session on March 15, 2018 in Brisbane, Australia.
OPINION: Yes the Vodafone Warriors lost to the Brisbane Broncos on Saturday evening, but they went down fighting, and that is all you can ask.
More important than a game of footy was how Broncos coach Wayne Bennett used his time here in Auckland.
He has a reputation for being a man of few words, but he is also a strong believer in doing what he believes is right, and helping people whenever he can.
So I want to share a story about the kindness of a man I am proud to be able to call a friend.
On Friday night he spoke at a function for the New Zealand University and Tertiary Students Rugby League Association.
Now he is such a famous league identity, and also a good speaker, especially when he makes no secret of the fact he does not like doing it, that he could have commanded a fee.
ADVERTISEMENT
Instead he did it free, because, like me, he believes the cause is worthwhile and that we need to spread the game as much as possible, and if that means into the university environment, then he is all for it.
It was outstanding and I was able to tell him I had a guy flying up from Christchurch for the game.
This particular chap is a big Broncos fan and is also very sick with cancer.
I asked Wayne if he would mind doing a video message for him.
As I said, Wayne is known as a bit of a grumpy old coot, and he said "bugger that."
I thought he was having none of it for a second. But instead he invited me to bring him down to the changing rooms after the game.
Obviously I did, and the hospitality shown by Bennett and the Broncos was just amazing.
Wayne introduced him to all the players, invited him to stay for the singing of the team song, and made an incredible fuss of him.
It totally underscored the most important message of the talk he gave on Friday night, which was that we can all reach out to our fellow man and do something to help, and that he believes the most crucial thing he has ever been able to teach any player he coaches is that league is just a game. No matter how talented and successful you are, every player reaches the end, but becoming the best person you can be lasts forever.
So yes, we might have lost and of course I was disappointed because I wanted my side to win.
But it is only a game and anyway, if we can bounce back and put in a good showing against the St George Dragons – the competition leaders on Friday night at Mt Smart – we will send a message to all the critics that the Vodafone Warriors are a real threat.
There is no doubt the Dragons will be a major test for our Vodafone Warriors, but I hope we will bounce straight back and be able to show all those Aussie knockers we are serious contenders.
Go the Vodafone Warriors.

W

WASSHHH

Aug 24, 2017
Things I took away from the game:

- With the right attitude and discipline, we absolutely do have the individual talent to make the difference, even if I didn't believe we would turn it around this quickly, especially against a Warriors team playing as good as they have been.

- Oates is a fucking machine.

- Even an out of shape Bird is a much better fit in the halves than Kodi. His presence and leadership helped direct the team, took pressure of Milford, made our right edge much more threatening and mitigated Gillo's absence in defense. We still need a better kicking game, but I'll settle for this for now, especially because Milford is demonstrating the ability to improve his.

- Boyd can still run. The way he kept up with Roberts in that line break, makes me believe his injury isn't bothering him anymore, so the problem is elsewhere. Whether he could have gotten to the ball or not, he was too tentative and not decisive enough, then just watched Green pick it up and put it down. He then repeated the lack of effort in Johnson's try, again just watching it all unfold instead of showing any form of desperation. I know people will put it down to my bias, but I can't accept that from a captain.

- Lodge walks the walk. I know how painful a rib injury is, and even with a needle, I can't imagine hugging someone, much less run full pelt into opposition props or tackling them.

- Ofahengaue can be the prop we need, and perform at Arrow like levels. He isn't an impact player though, so I would advocate for him to start alongside Lodge, liberating TPJ to maintain the impact from the bench.

- Although Moose was better this game, I still don't think he should be a lock. If Su'a continues to perform as I think he will on that edge, I'd love to see Gillo take the jersey 13 and add a new dimension to our lock's game.

- Did I mention Oates is a fucking machine?

Like a lot of people have said, credit to the Warriors fans on the park, their forum and here. They can definitely count on me jumping on their bandwagon if the Broncos fall short, and I hope they earn their maiden title rather sooner than later.
LOL!
He didn’t even play, but you still managed to praise Gillett. Twice.
The love affair is very real.
It’s clear I was a fool to disagree with you regarding him.
:biggrin::biggrin::porthozthinksthisishot:
That aside, totally agree with the Boyd comment.
I just can’t cop it when players stand around doing nothing. At least try, particularly when you’re the captain.
I think back to Brad Thorn running down Rod Wishart (if memory serves me correctly) in Origin.
Did anyone think he would - probably not even him.
But he kept trying and got there in the end.
The current Boyd doesn’t make that tackle because he’s 80m away waving his arms about, having a sook or looking like a deer caught in the headlights.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Finally might have a spare half an hour in the next day or two to finally get around to some ratings.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
1. Boyd - His movement looked MUCH better in this game. Definitely seemed a bit more of a spring in his step and that allowed him to look much more threatening on the sweep play he is so good at. That ball that hit the goalpost, he definitely should have attacked it earlier and then when it did hit the post, standing there looking at it didn't help but this game was a marked improvement in his performance, hopefully that attitude is following and it definitely looked better this game - 6
2. Boyd - What a game and what a player. THAT is how you respond to not getting the position you want, you suck it up and steamroll the opposition. He did drop a pass that may have lead to another try but he was immense. Barnstorming runs, good defensive hits and as safe as a house under the bomb, this is a kid we do not want to lose - 9
3. Roberts - Anyone else notice the subtle little ways he is starting to be used? That break that lead to Isaako's first try came from Roberts popping up on the other side of the field and jinking until he found the tired / lazy forwards to bust through. He almost did it a few times throughout the game, I'm liking this new aspect of how he is being used. I still think he would make a fantastic fullback and really not sure where they idea he has no passing game comes from, his passing looks like it has amazing potential - 8
18 - Opacic - I rate this bloke, as do many others, and it really isn't hard to see why. He is like Jack Reed and that is a big complement. His defense is rock solid and you could see Oates thrived off Opacic's game, allowed Corey to have confidence in his inside man...just like 2015. I've been saying for a few weeks that he needs to be starting centre and looks like he finally gets his shot now. He glues that whole left flank together - 7
5. Isaako - He scored two skillful tries and continues to impress with his kicking but I actually do agree with Wayne, he could run harder. He looks like Folau in almost everything he does with the exception of showing an ability to break a game open. Definite talent there and has a lot of potential upside - 6
4. Bird - Look, I'm a fan of Kodi and you all know that but Bird bought some things Kodi hasn't learned yet and may never be able to do. Bird ran the ball hard, defended as we all know he can and played both sides of the field. He straightened the attack and allowed Milf to do his thing. Bird being at six also allows Oppa to start and Bird's defense is rock solid, massive upgrade on Kodi in the same position in that aspect and this side needs it - 7
6. Milford - Played like a real halfback and he was sublime. He has looked like a switch is close to being flicked of late whilst being let down by poor execution. Well, not this game. His kicks were mostly pinpoint and he picked when to kick, run and pass really well without being perfect. He would have also got a smart 40/20 if not for a strange bounce. He looked a million dollars, very good signs here - 9
8. Lodge - What a machine! Anyone who can crack a rib / cartilage and then come back when it is cooled down and play like nothing is wrong gets a lot of admiration in my book. He has been one of the shining lights in the start to the season and was immense against a big Warriors pack. He reminds me a lot of Matt Scott funnily enough - 8
9. McCullough - He wasn't perfect, he never is, but he is always excellent in defense as we all know. He has shown signs of rust early this season but not in this game. He defended everything but what I really noticed was that his passing was getting back to last year's levels. He is looking much crisper and the attack clearly benefited from that. Very good signs - 8
14. Thaiday - He gets a deserved bad wrap these days from most of us, myself very much included but I thought he was really good in this game, really, really good and I think Wayne may have unlocked the key to getting whatever is left out of this legend of the club - short minutes, that is all. He did a short stint at the start and a possibly even shorter one at the end...and it worked well. This might (and should) be his mandate moving forward - short high intensity minutes - 7
11. Glenn - I liked what I saw with Glenn. Su'A is knocking at the door now and is being increased minutes and opportunity. Glenn is a great clubman. He will never set the world alight but he will never, ever let anyone down and once again, his runs were full of purpose and defended everything that came his way. He is a real workhorse that runs as hard at the finish as at the start, good stuff - 8
16. Sims - People defend him and fair enough but he just simply isn't offering much at present. He defended a lot but seemed to fall off a lot of tackles as well. Did not seem to play big minutes and seemed to offer very little with the ball in hand. I want him to do well but he just generally doesn't. Very replaceable sadly and should not really even be in the side in my opinion - 5
13. McGuire - What a game! He constantly bent the line, was passing and did I see an offload? He is starting to show signs of life again and this was a very high quality game from a guy we have to expect it from. Was absolutely immense - 9

10. Pangai Jr - He should be starting but the problem is, when he does, outside of Joffa, there is no go forward off the bench. TPJ bought that and more as he always does these days. Is unfortunately (and unfairly) becoming a bit of a penalty magnet at times though, needs to try and get that out of his game. Has become really good, really quick though - 7
15. Ofahengaue - I actually think he has been criticized a bit unfairly at times thus far this season but was really good once again in this game. He offers a lot to this side these days as he hits hard in defense and always runs with energy and purpose in attack. He has a big motor which is great for a prop. Very good game - 8
17. Su'A - He should be starting. I get that Korbin is there to soak up the early punishment before Su'A comes on but this kid is good enough. He can play 80 and has so many weapons developing. He hits hard and he runs with great speed, agility, strength and aggression. He is going to become a very hard to handle player as he gets a little older. Some really good plays that he should be able to produce more regularly now he has this opportunity with Gillett out - 7
20 - Tagataese - He had fairly limited opportunity but did not put a foot wrong in his Broncos debut. He bought energy to the side which was good and it could well be argued he should be in the 17 ahead of Sims and probably Thaiday as well. Regardless, he is fantastic to have as depth in this team. Nice work by the old head - 6

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
16. Sims - People defend him and fair enough but he just simply isn't offering much at present. He defended a lot but seemed to fall off a lot of tackles as well. Did not seem to play big minutes and seemed to offer very little with the ball in hand. I want him to do well but he just generally doesn't. Very replaceable sadly and should not really even be in the side in my opinion - 5

20 - Tagataese - He had fairly limited opportunity but did not put a foot wrong in his Broncos debut. He bought energy to the side which was good and it could well be argued he should be in the 17 ahead of Sims and probably Thaiday as well. Regardless, he is fantastic to have as depth in this team. Nice work by the old head - 6

Now this is just starting to look like a clear bias against Sims.

Tagataese made 3 runs, and 3 tackles. One of those runs he ran sideways and didn't gain any ground at all. He brought absolutely nothing. If the commentator didn't say his name then he wouldn't have been noticed at all, but gets a higher score than Sims despite Sims doing more good than him?

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008

Tagataese made 3 runs, and 3 tackles. One of those runs he ran sideways and didn't gain any ground at all. He brought absolutely nothing. If the commentator didn't say his name then he wouldn't have been noticed at all, but gets a higher score than Sims despite Sims doing more good than him?

Higher expectations of Sims. He's starting in this instance and turns in a performance marginally better than what Blair used to get smashed for.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
1. Boyd - His movement looked MUCH better in this game. Definitely seemed a bit more of a spring in his step and that allowed him to look much more threatening on the sweep play he is so good at. That ball that hit the goalpost, he definitely should have attacked it earlier and then when it did hit the post, standing there looking at it didn't help but this game was a marked improvement in his performance, hopefully that attitude is following and it definitely looked better this game - 6
2. Boyd - What a game and what a player. THAT is how you respond to not getting the position you want, you suck it up and steamroll the opposition. He did drop a pass that may have lead to another try but he was immense. Barnstorming runs, good defensive hits and as safe as a house under the bomb, this is a kid we do not want to lose - 9
3. Roberts - Anyone else notice the subtle little ways he is starting to be used? That break that lead to Isaako's first try came from Roberts popping up on the other side of the field and jinking until he found the tired / lazy forwards to bust through. He almost did it a few times throughout the game, I'm liking this new aspect of how he is being used. I still think he would make a fantastic fullback and really not sure where they idea he has no passing game comes from, his passing looks like it has amazing potential - 8
18 - Opacic - I rate this bloke, as do many others, and it really isn't hard to see why. He is like Jack Reed and that is a big complement. His defense is rock solid and you could see Oates thrived off Opacic's game, allowed Corey to have confidence in his inside man...just like 2015. I've been saying for a few weeks that he needs to be starting centre and looks like he finally gets his shot now. He glues that whole left flank together - 7
5. Isaako - He scored two skillful tries and continues to impress with his kicking but I actually do agree with Wayne, he could run harder. He looks like Folau in almost everything he does with the exception of showing an ability to break a game open. Definite talent there and has a lot of potential upside - 6
4. Bird - Look, I'm a fan of Kodi and you all know that but Bird bought some things Kodi hasn't learned yet and may never be able to do. Bird ran the ball hard, defended as we all know he can and played both sides of the field. He straightened the attack and allowed Milf to do his thing. Bird being at six also allows Oppa to start and Bird's defense is rock solid, massive upgrade on Kodi in the same position in that aspect and this side needs it - 7
6. Milford - Played like a real halfback and he was sublime. He has looked like a switch is close to being flicked of late whilst being let down by poor execution. Well, not this game. His kicks were mostly pinpoint and he picked when to kick, run and pass really well without being perfect. He would have also got a smart 40/20 if not for a strange bounce. He looked a million dollars, very good signs here - 9
8. Lodge - What a machine! Anyone who can crack a rib / cartilage and then come back when it is cooled down and play like nothing is wrong gets a lot of admiration in my book. He has been one of the shining lights in the start to the season and was immense against a big Warriors pack. He reminds me a lot of Matt Scott funnily enough - 8
9. McCullough - He wasn't perfect, he never is, but he is always excellent in defense as we all know. He has shown signs of rust early this season but not in this game. He defended everything but what I really noticed was that his passing was getting back to last year's levels. He is looking much crisper and the attack clearly benefited from that. Very good signs - 8
14. Thaiday - He gets a deserved bad wrap these days from most of us, myself very much included but I thought he was really good in this game, really, really good and I think Wayne may have unlocked the key to getting whatever is left out of this legend of the club - short minutes, that is all. He did a short stint at the start and a possibly even shorter one at the end...and it worked well. This might (and should) be his mandate moving forward - short high intensity minutes - 7
11. Glenn - I liked what I saw with Glenn. Su'A is knocking at the door now and is being increased minutes and opportunity. Glenn is a great clubman. He will never set the world alight but he will never, ever let anyone down and once again, his runs were full of purpose and defended everything that came his way. He is a real workhorse that runs as hard at the finish as at the start, good stuff - 8
13. McGuire - What a game! He constantly bent the line, was passing and did I see an offload? He is starting to show signs of life again and this was a very high quality game from a guy we have to expect it from. Was absolutely immense - 9

10. Pangai Jr - He should be starting but the problem is, when he does, outside of Joffa, there is no go forward off the bench. TPJ bought that and more as he always does these days. Is unfortunately (and unfairly) becoming a bit of a penalty magnet at times though, needs to try and get that out of his game. Has become really good, really quick though - 7
15. Ofahengaue - I actually think he has been criticized a bit unfairly at times thus far this season but was really good once again in this game. He offers a lot to this side these days as he hits hard in defense and always runs with energy and purpose in attack. He has a big motor which is great for a prop. Very good game - 8
17. Su'A - He should be starting. I get that Korbin is there to soak up the early punishment before Su'A comes on but this kid is good enough. He can play 80 and has so many weapons developing. He hits hard and he runs with great speed, agility, strength and aggression. He is going to become a very hard to handle player as he gets a little older. Some really good plays that he should be able to produce more regularly now he has this opportunity with Gillett out - 7

Boys was good, I’m not sure if he was 2 positions good though.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008

Actually, Tagatese made one run that wasn't great but overall his limited chance was well used. Due to my interest in his performance I watched him very closely and his other two runs were hard ,straight and ground gaining. His defence was excellent with one superb bone rattling tackle . He got 8/9 minutes and put in a great effort. Yes, one run was a bit ordinary but otherwise excellent. A rating of 6 or 7 was totally fair. 30 minutes of that standard would have given him an 8.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
First Tagatese run was one of the best of the game IMO. 2nd one was useless. Can't remember the 3rd.

Unread

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • MrMoore
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.