PRE-GAME Round 8 - Broncos vs Eels

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Milford will never wear the 1 jersey at the Broncos.

Bennett will never play him there. He'll either prove or perish this season as a five eighth.

Sad fact is that perhaps Milford might have reached his potential as a talented, fast and physical young Samoan (there's been plenty of them). He might be a journeyman and end up filling a role at a long list of B-List clubs.

Lockyer was the best because he was the ultimate professional, obsessed with detail and discipline and trained incessantly on his weaknesses. Read his book and others to hear coaches talk about what made him a 300+ NRL champion (I'm trying not to use trite superlatives here)

Milford has shown to date he has raw skill like not many others. Ramping up for him in the past has meant just trying a bit harder than the rest of the 18 year olds on the field for 80 minutes.

But there's something else he needs to find there. Bennett is testing him out (is sound like a Bennett Hillsong convert already).

This is your chance Anthony. You have everything on your side: best club, best coach, best team, best facilities, a 1 year lease on the 6 jersey.

:laugh:

Parramatta are not bog average. On their day they are very tough to beat. They belted us last year and beat the premiers this year - who flogged us. Like a lot of teams they are inconsistent. They could easily turn it on this week. I don't think there are any 'freebies' in the competition anymore. Even Manly can spring an upset if the other team takes them lightly.

They're the typical Broncos nothing home game opposition - we dominate the ruck, field position, attacking opportunites, but take only a 10 point lead to for 66-70 minutes. We've closed up shop and think its a training drill.

Next thing we let them score in ridiculous Sandow chip kick circumstances, all of a sudden 4 point ball game and then something like Radradra 90M kick return -> try and all of a sudden the game is over.

Did anybody notice the lack of offloads against the Dragons, it was probably because of the way they defend (like us) that we couldn't get as many out. I think it made a big difference, some of Parker's ect offloads make us look really dangerous and gives us a lot more opportunities.

We couldn't hold the ball doing normally hitups let alone trying to offload. The game day conditions pretty much put a stop the second phase play. It was pretty smart play in the end and safe wet weather football.

Garbutt tried an offload, knocked it on and was benched 5mins later. I'm pretty sure that offloads weren't encouraged in those conditions.

:laugh:

Parramatta are not bog average. On their day they are very tough to beat.

their outside backs are woeful in defense. takarangi is also the slowest player in the NRL. would be nice if we could exploit that, presumably copley will be playing right centre with no hodges.

but yes they are a good team when they turn up. and dangerous because they play unstructured

In a world where Jack Reed plays NRL, can we really call Takarangi the slowest?

I thought we would have seen a field goal given the Dragons defence this year, so I got that wrong. As an old Eels supporter, I got to tell you it's harder than being a Blue, but this one could go either way. If Semi and Tepai get a start and the rest of the Eels decide to play it will be game on. Norman will be out to prove a point and Vidot will be out to impress BA as I think he is looking for a new home. Hoppa is not playing as well as he can, but Taka played injured against the Knights and should be back to his old self. The Hoppa/Taka combination is new, but shows potential. The Eels biggest problem is the FB position. Robo's a flyer, but risky. This will either be a tight win to the Eels if they turn up or a slaughter to the Bronco's if they don't. Somehow I already feel a bagging coming on from you lot next week:-).

I thought we would have seen a field goal given the Dragons defence this year, so I got that wrong. As an old Eels supporter, I got to tell you it's harder than being a Blue, but this one could go either way. If Semi and Tepai get a start and the rest of the Eels decide to play it will be game on. Norman will be out to prove a point and Vidot will be out to impress BA as I think he is looking for a new home. Hoppa is not playing as well as he can, but Taka played injured against the Knights and should be back to his old self. The Hoppa/Taka combination is new, but shows potential. The Eels biggest problem is the FB position. Robo's a flyer, but risky. This will either be a tight win to the Eels if they turn up or a slaughter to the Bronco's if they don't. Somehow I already feel a bagging coming on from you lot next week:-).

And I'm sure most of the Broncos players themselves have thought that for the last year or two. Resulting in pantsings IIRC.

Sad fact is that perhaps Milford might have reached his potential as a talented, fast and physical young Samoan (there's been plenty of them). He might be a journeyman and end up filling a role at a long list of B-List clubs.

Lockyer was the best because he was the ultimate professional, obsessed with detail and discipline and trained incessantly on his weaknesses. Read his book and others to hear coaches talk about what made him a 300+ NRL champion (I'm trying not to use trite superlatives here)

Milford has shown to date he has raw skill like not many others. Ramping up for him in the past has meant just trying a bit harder than the rest of the 18 year olds on the field for 80 minutes.

I think this is a really pertinent point. I still think Milford has what it takes to succeed at 6, but there's certainly something to be said for over reliance on one's physical gifts.

The best players are not necessarily the most physically gifted (though they may also be) but those whose work ethic, skill and application sets them apart. Lockyer lost his speed in the latter years of his career but adapted his game and continued to excel off the back of his nous, decision making and calmness under pressure.

A player whose success is based upon their extraordinary physical attributes is far more often found wanting in the long run.

Milf has the natural ability and potential to be an all time great, but there's still plenty he has to learn before he's even remotely in the discussion as a top tier 6.

Last edited:
their outside backs are woeful in defense. takarangi is also the slowest player in the NRL. would be nice if we could exploit that, presumably copley will be playing right centre with no hodges.

but yes they are a good team when they turn up. and dangerous because they play unstructured
We could put Reed up against him and make a mighty match up

Kahu is definitely not playing. He won't be back until after the rep game.

Hodges is a chance of playing.

Glenn doesn't require surgery but won't be back until the Origin period.

What about Maranta? If he's out too, will we see Kodi at fullback? And if so, who becomes our bench utility?

I really hope we just rest Hodges, Kahu & Maranta and then bring them back after rep weekend. Line-up for this weekend?

1. Nikorima
2. Oates
3. Reed
4. Copley
5. Vidot
6. Milford
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Blair
11. Thaiday
12. Gillett
13. Parker

14. Parcell
15. Wallace
16. Dodds
17. Garbutt

IIRC the plan for Joe was 3 weeks off and then back to it? With Garbutt being hooked last week I could see him coming in. Otherwise 1-16 is what I expect to see.

So uhh what the **** happened to Waddell? No one ever really mentions his name.

Active Now

• Bish
  • Harry Sack
  • Sproj
  • Ondi
  • The Strapper
  • Culhwch
  • Volvo Driver
  • Santa
  • Financeguy
  • Justwin
  • Bucking Beads
  • Robboi_321
  • The True King
  • BRC088
  • Tristan1990
  • Manofoneway
  • Manifesto
  • Fozz
  • Wendall Taylor
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.