Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Maranta should've have opened a line of pass instead of trailing Nikorima all the time. He should have opened to the right of Nikorima, but instead stayed behind him all the time, until he just switched off when Nikorima accelerated. Just look at Lachlan's positioning throughout the play.

Just after the line break:
1430065572.png

Half way through Kodi's run, who is looking to his right for someone in support, but both are heading in the same direction and Maranta is still in no position to receive a ball:

1430152323.png

At the moment Kodi realises he doesn't have someone to pass the ball in open field (to the right), and accelerates. At the same time, Maranta switches off and coasts:

1430076205.png

It is elementary that when you have a line break like that, the support player doesn't keep the same line as the ball carrier, much less right behind him.
Kodi looked 2 or 3 times to his right for support and saw no one there and then he accelerates. Maranta probably thought he's going for it, and "switched off".
It is clear imo that he is not ready to continue the play when Kodi passes, but we were fortunate Milford was there to score the try.

Why did Kodi throw a hail mary flick pass in your opinion?
I would argue that if he doesn't slow he runs the chance of clipping Kodi's heels as he came back inside

No BP..Porthoz proves it again, Maranta is hopeless, he should have anticipated Paulo's dive and read both Gower's and Niko's minds and placed himself accordingly. Kodi couldn't find Maranta but where was Milford ? Really, it was pretty lousy by Milford who positioned himself even further behind Kodi, in fact it was so poor he was several metres behind Maranta who was at the time of the pass on Kodi's right. I'm not sure but Milford clearly failed to respond when the break was made, how else could he have been so poorly positioned and so far behind Kodi. If Maranta was poor then Milford was absolutely abysmal ( Porthoz logic at work here ! )
While I agree with you that some people on here are just looking for trivial crap in their quest for Maranta to be dislodged, Milford was offside at the play the ball and walking back the opposite way as Nikorima went through the line

Why would Maranta trail right when there are two Parra players right there?
Those stills show Maranta was going to go to the left but then the ball carrier tracks left as well so Maranta slows.
If anyone is to blame, why not the winger or centre for not keeping up in support?

Only a try that had something to do with Maranta could generate this much discussion. It's astounding.

It's pathetic isn't it. It happens at every game.

We could learn from the Poms. When they have a minutes silence, you could hear a pin drop.

Everyone of the interruptions was Go the Eels or a variation thereof.

I would argue that if he doesn't slow he runs the chance of clipping Kodi's heels as he came back inside

Kodi showed him where to be with his head (he looks to the right 2-3 times as in "I need support right there").

And when Nikorima gunned it to draw the fullback to the left, Maranta's up in arms.

Maranta is rock solid at the back for us, which is great, but he's not a smart footy player.

I love beating the eels, they are such a shit **** team.

Thoughts on the game - glad we won, was a bit nervous some Sandow BS was going to get the Eels home.

But the Bennett 2015 Broncos found a way out of the "oh we've just blown a game winning lead, now we have to win it a second time...oh man...life is unfair" attitude of 2014 and for Milford to put that emphatic exclamation point on the game was awesome.

Wish we could put Milford into more opportunities like that. If there's half a chance, he'll capitalise on it.

Our defence is just awesome at the moment.

I'll keep also pushing my other agenda, why could have the NRL not have seen to it to give the Broncos the 530 time slot for this game (or even an ANZAC day afternoon special) and at least give the young families a chance to attend the game?

While I agree with you that some people on here are just looking for trivial crap in their quest for Maranta to be dislodged, Milford was offside at the play the ball and walking back the opposite way as Nikorima went through the line
Yeah...I know. My point is, even though Milf did nothing wrong I could hold an irrational belief about his part in the play. It was just the stupid and idiotic logic that Porthoz was using about Maranta being applied to Milford. When you have an agenda, a deep felt beef about something it can distort your view, make you see things that aren't there.

I'll keep also pushing my other agenda, why could have the NRL not have seen to it to give the Broncos the 530 time slot for this game (or even an ANZAC day afternoon special) and at least give the young families a chance to attend the game?

This is a big issue for mine. I have a young boy and there is one game we have a chance of attending this year. I see the fans of other teams constantly pissingand moaning about the Broncos playing Friday nights, but I'd happily trade some for Saturday or Sunday afternoon games. It's hard to build a culture of going to the footy or even justify memberships when there's only one family friendly game in a year.

It is elementary that when you have a line break like that, the support player doesn't keep the same line as the ball carrier, much less right behind him.
Kodi looked 2 or 3 times to his right for support and saw no one there and then he accelerates. Maranta probably thought he's going for it, and "switched off".
It is clear imo that he is not ready to continue the play when Kodi passes, but we were fortunate Milford was there to score the try.

Why did Kodi throw a hail mary flick pass in your opinion?

As has been mentioned earlier, the best option for Nikorima would have been to head to the right himself, drawing the fullback and leaving Maranta with a whopping gap. The only reason the Parra #3 even gets close to the play (and why Maranta pulls up) is because Kodi slows up. If he pins his ears, moves to the right, he puts Maranta away.

I have my own reservations about Maranta's positioning, don't get me wrong, but this is not one of those occasions.

The last memorable occasion I can recall for the "out of play" rule was when the NRL was harping on about it, and Luke Lewis scores an opening try for NSW while being out-of-play, and all the media shut up about it and pretend it never happened.

The last memorable occasion I can recall for the "out of play" rule was when the NRL was harping on about it, and Luke Lewis scores an opening try for NSW while being out-of-play, and all the media shut up about it and pretend it never happened.

Context please? Did this happen during the Eels/Broncos game?

I have terrible old man amnesia too.

As has been mentioned earlier, the best option for Nikorima would have been to head to the right himself, drawing the fullback and leaving Maranta with a whopping gap. The only reason the Parra #3 even gets close to the play (and why Maranta pulls up) is because Kodi slows up. If he pins his ears, moves to the right, he puts Maranta away.

I have my own reservations about Maranta's positioning, don't get me wrong, but this is not one of those occasions.

It was more the drop of the head when Kodi went himself and the lack of eyes up that concerned me.

Stay alive mofo.

It was more the drop of the head when Kodi went himself and the lack of eyes up that concerned me.

Stay alive mofo.

Actually. It wasn't that bad.

Separately - watching the highlights again, was lucky they didn't go back to check Milford's try because Norman got hammered after kicking it, and Milford ran at the gap where Norman would have been.

Still exciting

Actually. It wasn't that bad.

Separately - watching the highlights again, was lucky they didn't go back to check Milford's try because Norman got hammered after kicking it, and Milford ran at the gap where Norman would have been.

Still exciting

Whoever tackled Norman was already in the process of tackling him before the kick was made. Norman had a hissy fit on the ground afterwards but he had plenty of time to get up and attempt a tackle.

Can we please give it a Rest? Haha the fact we are arguing about Maranta's support/ non support play during an actually TRY seems to mean we don't have much to complain about.

Yeah, it wasn't a perfect performance, amd no Maranta isn't perfect. . But we've pretty much had no prefect game yet this season and won't for a while. Yet, we are winning! Top of the table. . And forcing our opponents to have even more an imperfect game than us. We are going extremely well! Considering the injury list we have copped.. Every week we've had one. Still top of the table. Fucking awesome really

Active Now

• simplythebest
  • Dash
  • Brocko
  • Accept
  • Professor47
  • Wolfie
  • The Don
  • Galco
  • Mustafur
  • Emanon
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Scorchie
  • rnabokov
  • LittleDavey
  • The Strapper
  • Skyblues87
  • BroncosMan
  • I bleed Maroon
  • NSW stables
... and 28 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.