/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Exactly.

Dont know if its been mentioned here but Parker was interviewed on MMM today. Apparently after McGuires try (which was to the left of the posts), Parker took the kick from in front.

Parker fessed up and said that when he went back, the ref was standing in front of the posts so that's where he took it from and nobody questioned it.

I must admit, I was at the game and didn't notice it.

I did notice that during the coverage lol.

When they're put onside by the ball carrier

Players in front of the play the ball can't take part in that play.

DCE was denied a try against the US at the World Cup because of the same reason. He was in front of the play the ball.

I'll happily take it, though.

Last edited:
I recall Macca being penalised for that a few years back too. He was offside at the play the ball, was on side by the time he touched it but was penalised.

Good spot SF.

You're not allowed to take part in the play unless you retire to where the play the ball was taken and Milford never does.

It happens all the time though and you rarely see it pulled up except in that game against Manly which Ari is referring to.

Placed onside

3. An offside player is placed onside if:
(a) an opponent moves ten metres or more with the ball.
(b) an opponent touches the ball without retaining it.
(c) one of his own team in possession of the ball runs in front of him.
(d) one of his own team kicks or knocks the ball forward and takes up a position in front of him in the field of play.
(e) he retires behind the point where the ball was last touched by one of his own team.

It would seem point (c) above covers it, however:

Out of Play as opposed to “offside”

Players who are out of play at a play-the-ball (Section 11), a scrum (Section 12), a kick off or drop-out (Section 8) a penalty kick (Section 13) or a free kick (Section 13) are not put “onside” in the mascrum (Section 12), a kick off or drop-out (Section 8) a penalty kick (Section 13) or a free kick (Section 13) are not put “onside” in the manner described in para 3 above.

Last edited:
Was Thaiday the Suncorp MotM [MENTION=2221]Porthoz[/MENTION]?

I'd like to get to the bottom of the 'Out Of Play' rule but just on the face of it, I think SF has it right.

The odd thing is, the last time I saw it blown in a club match was in Round 12 when Manly played Brisbane in a double-header game at Suncorp. McCullough was offside when Yow Yeh made a dash out of dummy half and threw an offload back to McCullough.

Guess who the referee was?

That's right, Ben Cummins, the same referee as last night.

Just trying to get to the bottom of it.

Two separate awards it is.

Macca makes the most sense. Honestly I was perplexed reading Thaiday was the MotM on the way home.

Was Thaiday the Suncorp MotM @Porthoz?
He was the receiver of the Anzac medal.
Not sure who the Suncorp MotM was... I wasn't there because of this fucking cold that won't go away.

And yes, I was perplexed too... I didn't think Thaiday even featured in the top 3.

Last edited:
Seriously, Maranta is being bagged for not scoring Milford's try? I was yelling at Nikorima for going the risky pass and not just giving it to Maranta who was by far in the best position to score. @Porthoz, we'll write it off as poor eyesight for now, but seriously?
Maranta should've have opened a line of pass instead of trailing Nikorima all the time. He should have opened to the right of Nikorima, but instead stayed behind him all the time, until he just switched off when Nikorima accelerated. Just look at Lachlan's positioning throughout the play.

Just after the line break:
1430065572.png

Half way through Kodi's run, who is looking to his right for someone in support, but both are heading in the same direction and Maranta is still in no position to receive a ball:

1430152323.png

At the moment Kodi realises he doesn't have someone to pass the ball in open field (to the right), and accelerates. At the same time, Maranta switches off and coasts:

1430076205.png

It is elementary that when you have a line break like that, the support player doesn't keep the same line as the ball carrier, much less right behind him.
Kodi looked 2 or 3 times to his right for support and saw no one there and then he accelerates. Maranta probably thought he's going for it, and "switched off".
It is clear imo that he is not ready to continue the play when Kodi passes, but we were fortunate Milford was there to score the try.

Why did Kodi throw a hail mary flick pass in your opinion?

Your witness Morkel?

No mucking around here. :laugh:

I would argue that there was only a small channel for Maranta to run through to begin with as he was lead into the same channel by the Eels defence. If you look closer, he has to jump over a diving Paulo and then he has to speed past Gower who tries to take him out. Maranta brushes past him and finds himself in an awkward position when he calls for the ball (as seen on the front view and picked up by Belcher), Kodi can't find him, he pins the ears back which is what he's renown for and Maranta slows up because if he keeps going he's going to over-run the play.

It was an awkward scenario for all involved but thankfully it paid off and it may just be the Broncos best try all year.

I doubt it though.

Your witness Morkel?

No mucking around here. :laugh:

I would argue that there was only a small channel for Maranta to run through to begin with as he was lead into the same channel by the Eels defence. If you look closer, he has to jump over a diving Paulo and then he has to speed past Gower who tries to take him out. Maranta brushes past him and finds himself in an awkward position when he calls for the ball (as seen on the front view and picked up by Belcher), Kodi can't find him, he pins the ears back which is what he's renown for and Maranta slows up because if he keeps going he's going to over-run the play.

It was an awkward scenario for all involved but thankfully it paid off and it may just be the Broncos best try all year.

I doubt it though.
No BP..Porthoz proves it again, Maranta is hopeless, he should have anticipated Paulo's dive and read both Gower's and Niko's minds and placed himself accordingly. Kodi couldn't find Maranta but where was Milford ? Really, it was pretty lousy by Milford who positioned himself even further behind Kodi, in fact it was so poor he was several metres behind Maranta who was at the time of the pass on Kodi's right. I'm not sure but Milford clearly failed to respond when the break was made, how else could he have been so poorly positioned and so far behind Kodi. If Maranta was poor then Milford was absolutely abysmal ( Porthoz logic at work here ! )

Players in front of the play the ball can't take part in that play.

DCE was denied a try against the US at the World Cup because of the same reason. He was in front of the play the ball.

I'll happily take it, though.
I did not know that. I suppose it could be exploited somehow by stationing attacking players in the defensive line

It is impossible to know what was running through both Kodi and Maranata's mind. But if I was in the position that Maranta was in I may have thought that Kodi was going to try and break right to either beat the fullback or to take the fullback and the defender trailing across from the right out of play and then pass to him to give him a straight run to the line. It kind of looked like that because he appeared taken back when Kodi accelerated on the same line.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Wolfie
  • Skathen
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Gympie devil
  • vertigo
  • Spoon
  • Sproj
  • broncs30
  • kman
  • The Don
  • Lozza
  • NSW stables
  • Cavalo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.