# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
How's that mate?

Because he picked up a grubber in the front line to race away to score.....or that he was backing Kodi up (to score)?

5/8's do that kind of stuff too you know.

No, because Milford stood and positioned himself where a good FB would have stood. Also, name me a few 5/8 who have done the same 95 metres run in broken play?

I can think of quite a few FB's who have.

The backing up of Kodi's brilliant offload was either 5/8 or FB (2nd 5/8 play).

Milford is doing well at 5/8, but his experience and instincts as a FB are not to be dismissed so lightly.

BTW, how many line drop outs did we force through clever grubber kicks? Or, nice cut-out passes by our halves (not Hodges)?

Zero from memory. Sandow and Norman played all over our halves in that respect.

Still a lot of work to do for our halves and Macca to build combinations and develop a consistently creative attacking game.

For mine, our kicking game has its moments but overall, it is very very average.

Last edited:
Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Last night was an example of the one thing I dislike about WBs coaching. We lose one game (which we should have won) and because our completion rate was poor we go back to almost exclusively dummy half and one out runs.
I thought the Eels let us off the hook a lot and we did what we had to but it was hard for me to like that game.
The refs were so bad letting the Eels get away with hands on the ball and second efforts to often.

As far as our tendency to take the 2, I don't mind it, it could lead to a few fast play the balls and tries sometime later in the season if tacklers are reluctant to push the refs for fear of conceding points.

heartly87

heartly87

NRL Player
May 10, 2014
Last night was a good win. One of those traditional calculative Bennet style victories. We never looked like loosing to be honest, that's not to say we were perfect as very few sides ever are. The things we did counted when we needed them to, which is a good sign. I love how our forward pack is starting to really distribute the workload. Our go forward is not dependent on one individual. Our backline was getting the job done. Hunts kicking game apart from a drop out or two was exceptional, milfords was also very good as was macca's. Loved seeing milford get a double, he was very workman like last night. Chimed into backlines when needed, was hanging around the ruck a lot though still looks maybe one or two more games away from really getting his confidence in this position. Wish I didn't have to see the fullback comments as his play was pure 5/8 as in backing up niko play and acting as a sweeper on the shit norman kick as he came from the front line to collect that ball, both plays Miranta was there also in his fullback role anyway enough on that as its will never change some peoples mind on the issue. Reed actually looked solid on the wing and I was happy to see him get a try. Copely was probably the worst on field as his defensive reads were poor and he missed 4 tackles and did not catch that ball leading to a debatable 6 restart, he should of caught it, if miranta did that his head would be on a pike here at HQ. Special mention to Thaiday who has really taken the Bennett challenge head on. Shame about Dodds poor guy is another one of those people who just never catch a break with injury and eventually dwindle away out of top grade. Garbutt to likely replace him I guess. In closing really I am just so happy to feel like we are in every fight this year, in all the games bar round one I have not had any feelings of frustration. unlike the hook years. Good Job Bennett and the boys.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
Who actually got motm? I missed that part if it was televised. had to hand over the remote after watching footy all day.
Sam Thaiday with Macca MOM for Broncos home game

heartly87

heartly87

NRL Player
May 10, 2014
No, because Milford stood and positioned himself where a good FB would have stood. Also, name me a few 5/8 who have done the same 95 metres run in broken play?

I can think of quite a few FB's who have.

For mine, our kicking game has its moments but overall, it is very very average.

Sorry Mate do not agree at all with these to selected parts. Mirranta was the one positioned perfectly to pick up that ball from fullback. Milf cut the ball off from sweeping out of the line were he was positioned in 5/8. You cant use his speed as a argument because no other 5/8 can do it. That's just hilarious to be honest as this is what makes him so dangerous as a 5/8, by the way I can think of one 5/8 at least who running around today back in his prime could do that with ease, right now he is playing 7 but Benji was more then capable of such a feet. I am also sure that if you go back to last nights game our kicks at least 85% of the time hit open space and were not collected until the 1st or 2nd bounce, in my book that's good kicking.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
I agree. That was a great try from Reed.(I realise I'm too drunk to quote other posts properly). Maranta would not have scored Reeds try today. He didn't just fall over the line. I'm happy with the win. Sometimes I wonder if BHQ people would prefer a loss to have to more to complain about. We are on top of the ladder ffs. We still have Boyd to come to add some attack from fb. We are looking better than we have in years. Let's just enjoy our wins!

Had a chuckle at this and then realised what time you posted it. Big night.....

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
How's that mate?

Because he picked up a grubber in the front line to race away to score.....or that he was backing Kodi up (to score)?

5/8's do that kind of stuff too you know.

Was about the same thing.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
If Milford plays fullback last night, the Eels get at least one more set in our 20 because he drops one, maybe more, of those bombs that Maranta caught all night.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
On that Milford try, Norman was carrying on throwing a tantrum on the ground because he was tackled during the kick and Milford just runs straight past him. It was great.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
According to Fox Sports stats Josh McGuire made 13 carries for 126 meters and made 28 tackles but didn't make any offloads or tackle busts. Been wanting to post this in the QLD team thread but I will post it here, I believe McGuire's representative aspirations will be pushed even further this year as Wayne Bennett is backing him and having Bennett in your corner is a good advantage in situations like this.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
According to Fox Sports stats Josh McGuire made 13 carries for 126 meters and made 28 tackles but didn't make any offloads or tackle busts. Been wanting to post this in the QLD team thread but I will post it here, I believe McGuire's representative aspirations will be pushed even further this year as Wayne Bennett is backing him and having Bennett in your corner is a good advantage in situations like this.

It would want to be. McGuire and Gavin Cooper should have been running around in QLD jerseys last year. Both of them deserve it!

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
Just watched the replay. Can you imagine how Milford felt on that long range try ,8-10 seconds of pure roaring adulation for a massive Broncos crowd taking ownership of one of their favourite new sons. A special moment for Anthony to put that one to bed for us . The first of many.

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I hated Maranta taking a dive tonight. I know the Eels took three dives in that game but it's such a shameful part of our game and I hate players abusing the system and making the game look weak.

Anyone who is motionless for the duration some of these players were need to come off.

And until that rule is brought in, I don't want to see anymore dives from the Broncos.

I disagree with this. If it takes you having to lay on the ground for a few seconds for the referee to make the right call, then so be it. I don't get why people call it "taking a dive", they legitimately just got whacked in the face, which in the NRL is a penalty.

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I bought one of those Frozen Coke cups at the game, then I went to go actually put the frozen coke in the cup and none of the machines were frozen, I asked for a refund and she wouldn't give it to me! Pick up your game, Broncos game day staff!

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
We debuted a new team song last night. It is similar to the Lions song. It's sad, now that we finally have the team work, to make the dream work, we won't be hearing that moment of lyrical genius after every win.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rally Towel

Rally Towel

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2014
Nice to get the win.

I felt like the Eels looked the more threatening side for much of the game but we stuck to our guns and ground them out of the match. I'm liking the conviction we're showing this year, as well as refusing to be drawn into a game that suits the opposition's strengths. To quote the King, we're dictating terms and making them fight our fight.

Score line was a bit closer than I'd rather but two of their tries came via contentious circumstances so I'm prepared to cut them some slack in that regard.

I particularly liked our long kicking this match. It's been a bit of an Achilles heel for us and the improvement is showing. We had several good deep kicks finding grass and bouncing favourably for our chase. The touch finder from Milf in the last ten was class and I'm liking Macca contributing in this department as well.

On the subject of Milf, good to see him scoring a double but I'd really like to give him props defensively. He's adapted really well to defending in the front line. He might need some time to really find his groove in attack but I think he's warming to the task at 6.

Last edited:
Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I wanted to touch on a couple of things:

Firstly Milford - while he was much better than last week (not really hard considering how poor he was), we are still not getting anywhere near what we need from him at 6. It hasn't clicked for him yet, that his job is no longer just running the ball, a big part of his job is setting up the men around him.

It seems to me like he is almost just taking another hitup (similar to how Hoffman did when he was at 5/8), and when he does decide to pass, the ball is not getting to our outside men quick enough. I reckon there was at least 3 times, when to tried to get the ball out to his outside backs, but by the time it reached them the defence was already in their face.

He has a good short kicking game, and he provided some highlights last night, like the broken play 90m try and the good support of Nikorimas break. but we still need plenty more from him if he is to remain our 6 (and yes, i know he will never be moved from 6, before anyone tells me)

Copley - there has been some comments, about Copleys defence last night, and while it may not have been as good as we have seen in previous weeks (The game against the Roosters showed just how good a defender he can be), i think much of that can be put down to having no consistency in the position he has been playing, moving him between left and right wing, and left and right center, certainly doesn't help you when it comes positioning. I think it also hinders his attack slightly, but what i think hinders his attack even more is the lack of quality ball. we saw it last year when Hoffman was 5/8 (after Copley moved to the left). by the time he is getting the ball the defence was right in his face, not allowing him to do much more than take the tackle and ensure you don't spill the ball.

We need to name him and play him at left center, and not **** him around, just leave him there ... do that and we will see is true ability in both attack and defence

Reed - Played his best game of the season last night, and if he is going to remain in this team, IMO the only position he should be playing is wing.

Taylor - I honestly think we should be getting Taylor into our team ASAP. He is a natural half back IMO, he offers us another option in the kicking department, instead of relying on Hunt to do the bulk of it, offers us a decent passing game and an organisation game that we are just not getting from our halves ATM. a spine of 1. Milford 6. Hunt 7. Taylor 9. Macca (unless we find someone better) could seriously deliver us plenty of success over the next 5-10 years.

we could then have a world class finisher like Boyd on the wing (or center when Hodges retires) talent on the other wing in Kahu and some serious strike power in the centers with Copley and Hodges (when Hodges retires either Boyd or Kahu moves to center)

IMO, that offers us a better balanced side. I know it won't happen, but a guy can dream can't he.

Don't get me wrong, i'm ecstatic that we are winning, and leading the comp ... but why settle for winning, when we can be dominating. besides i want to see all of our players living to their potential, and i just don't see that in certain players ATM.

ps. sorry it was so long, i guess i just got carried away.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
If my maths serves me correctly, Milford ran the middle 50m of that length of the field try in about 5.5 seconds, with a ball in his hands, at an angle, in the 77th minute, just for anyone wondering if he's still fast.

Active Now

• Lostboy
  • Brocko
  • Santa
  • porouian
  • Johnny92
  • Manofoneway
  • GCBRONCO
  • Footy Fanatic
  • broncsgoat
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.