Round 8 - Broncos vs. Rabbitohs - Post-Game discussion

V

Viti

NRL Player
Feb 2, 2011
Perhaps someone that watched the game on TV can confirm this for me as I haven't seen the recording yet.

Did the ref not allow Broncos to take a quick tap for the penalties that weren't for players inside the 10? I remember a couple of penalties for Rabbitohs players laying on the player for too long or stripping the ball and they have waved the Broncos back? Or did the Broncos just not want to take them?

As far as I know, you can take a quick tap for any penalty that's not for a player inside the 10 as long as your players are on side and they were every time.

I could be wrong, though..

I think you can't take a quick tap when you are inside the attacking 10 as well?? I think Parker got pulled up for that once last night.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
A lot of positives. Tonight was a litmus test. The first 15 mintues was Rabbitohs steamroller football at it's best.

We showed our true colours and were scored 5 tries to 2 in the remaining 65 minutes of the game.

The video referrees don't know how to administer there own procedural fairness.

No try call on-field means you need conclusive evidence to overrule. There was much doubt about whether Hunt had a clear line of sight (which he didn't) and that Copley had to change his mind to come in on Hunt's man (Inglis) instead of the try scorer.

The on-field ref, in real time, saw the obstruction.

There was not enough certainty in the video evidence to overrule it.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Also, those people blasting McCullough need a slap on the cheek. He kept us in that game with his defence and his decisions in attack.

I'm not sure about what people are blasting Macca for but I am blasting him for his role in that set of 6 when they were trying to set up for a field goal. Needed to take more ownership there. We were like a mob of browns cows.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
nothing has changed from last year ... The refs were just as bad then

I've said it before, the NRL referees are the worst from any professional sporting body in the world...

although we know how bad they are, i'm not sure how the problem can be fixed.

You can't fix human errors. You can reduce them, though.

Bring in a Captains Challenge and allow the video ref to overrule the refs.

It would slow down the game a bit, but maybe the NRL shouldn't worry about that so much. Work on addressing the issues instead of trying to add more excitement factor in the game..

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I'm not sure about what people are blasting Macca for but I am blasting him for his role in that set of 6 when they were trying to set up for a field goal. Needed to take more ownership there. We were like a mob of browns cows.

His pass to Hunt was also a little late. By the time Hunt got the ball and set up for a field goal, Burgess was already there..

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
can Granville kick? if so put him at 5/8th. rather see that then have him dropped when thaiday comes back.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I think you can't take a quick tap when you are inside the attacking 10 as well?? I think Parker got pulled up for that once last night.

Yeah, I just remembered that. You can't take quick taps in the opposition 10.

I remember several other times when Broncos didn't get quick taps, though. I'll have to look at the footage and see exactly when.

Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008
nothing has changed from last year ... The refs were just as bad then

I've said it before, the NRL referees are the worst from any professional sporting body in the world...

although we know how bad they are, i'm not sure how the problem can be fixed.

Moar referees! Four on field refs! Twelve touchies! Seventeen video refs!

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
It was always going to be Hunt taking a shot at field goal. I don't think we were ever a chance when we had a crack at a field goal. Should have went for the try IMO.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Here is one rule the refs fucked up on.

Stop the clock: During the last five minutes of a match, the clock will stop following a conversion or penalty kick at goal until play restarts at halfway. The interpretation change will add excitement during close matches, provide consistency across matches and reduce potential time-wasting.

They didn't stop the clock for the penalty kick Souths got. It ticked down a bit more before it stopped.

Last edited:
Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
Thanks [MENTION=1795]Alec[/MENTION]

Last edited:
88to2006Glorydays

88to2006Glorydays

NYC Player
Jul 9, 2013
In the press conference, Griffin stated we need to get our kick and chase happening. He has to be the biggest fuckwit of all fuckwits in the game. We don't have a kicking game. Hunt is our only option and I can't think of a half with worse kicking game than him. After Hunt there is nobody. We need a recognised who kicks week in week out and preferably a goal kicker. Duncan P takes the shots at goal for Central.

Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008
I'd rather go back to one ref on the field, see if that improves things. I think it's gone downhill since the second ref was introduced. The video ref needs sorting out as well.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Who exactly was playing 5/8th tonight? It was listed as Hodges but he seemed to stay out in the centres most of the time. Ben Hunt played another good game and is easily a long term halfback.

Hodges defended two in on the left with Reed three in at half. Hodges came in field in attack, Hunt was on the right defending and attacking as normal.

Barba was really the 6.

Last edited:
Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
After watching Granville add a bit of spark over the last couple of weeks, I wouldn't be completely against starting him at Five-Eighth, I know he's had his problems with his kicking and defense in ISC.. but we've gotta do something, surely..

1 - Barba
6 - Granville
7 - Hunt
9 - McCullough

Please Hook, if you're listening, anyone but Hoffman and Hodges.

M

mieko

QCup Player
Aug 25, 2011
Exciting as the game was, ultimately we lost the game by ourselves. Not wrapping the ball up, poor kicking and kick decisions, missed tackles was our undoing. Was good to see both sides, left and right, have a go on the attack though instead of just the right. Hodges ball to Maranta on the cutout was awesome.

also felt like being at an origin. The atmos was massive.

Last edited:

Unread

Active Now

• Dash
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Aldo
  • OXY-351
  • Manofoneway
  • Mustafur
  • Bucking Beads
  • Tmac
  • mrslong
  • Battler
  • Galah
  • Jedhead
  • FACTHUNT
  • Big Del
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Ozired
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.