Round 8 - Broncos vs. Rabbitohs - Post-Game discussion

J

JMG87

BRL Player
Mar 8, 2014
Hoffman will obviously slot straight back in.

Look at what Maguire does though:

Sees Walker isn't working at 5/8 - switches Sutton back to 5/8
Sees Reddy sucks donkey dick - promotes Auva'a
Sees Merritt sucks donkey dick - promotes Johnston

If he doesn't make these decisions to HOOK players who aren't performing they keep on losing, so he made them happen.

Yeah exactly mate. He's too scared to hurt his boys feelings. Sometimes changes need to be made. It's so obvious there needs to be. If changes are made it'd have two effects.. Put a fire up all the players so try play hard so they don't get dropped and also we'd play better then our mediocre attack. If hook wants to be taken seriously as a coach he needs to make some changes. Same as our goal kicking. Parkers tired from running at big blokes all night, can't expect him to accurately kick goals too. Hunt looked pretty good with the two he kicked

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Hoffman will obviously slot straight back in.

Look at what Maguire does though:

Sees Walker isn't working at 5/8 - switches Sutton back to 5/8
Sees Reddy sucks donkey dick - promotes Auva'a
Sees Merritt sucks donkey dick - promotes Johnston

If he doesn't make these decisions to HOOK players who aren't performing they keep on losing, so he made them happen.

Credit where it's due, the Merritt selection was ballsy but it's hardly earth shattering to swap out wingers.

The five eigth situation is completely different too. Brisbane have no tried and true combos, while the Rabbits have one that's taken them to two prelims.

X

xratedrattice

NYC Player
Oct 17, 2013
how we keep managing to lose these games at the death is beyond me, we have been the better team in every match bar the eels one.

if you watch the end of this game and the end of the roosters game it looks exactly the same, its almost comical watching everything that can go wrong all happen again.

roosters game : dale copley goes for an intercept but instead gives the roosters 6 more tackles and they score, this time around he takes the intercept and if he holds onto it we probably win, but yet again something rediculous manages to happen to us, it almost looks scripted in the last 10 minutes for us this year.

poor refereeing decisions aside, we need to be able to take advantage of those moments, i guarantee if the game went to golden point we still would of found a way to hand souths the win. the plays leading up to the field goal attempt were just horrible the only one who actually ran forward was wallace.

i have said it all year, we are a good five eighth away from being a top four side, hunt puts 100 percent into everything he does and no one should fault his efforts this year, but he is a young half being forced to do the work of a halves combination, whether or not this will be good for him next year is irrelevant, because we are close enough to make a shake this year if the coach stops playing players out of their natural positions.

what do we lose putting a young five eighth in ? is it really the end of the world if it ends up a failure ? if so just try another one, its not like hoffmans progress at 5/8 is at stake because there hasn't been any, he has played the exact same way for 8 rounds now which is a winger in the middle of the field, if anything we are just ruining his progression as an outstanding outside back.

sorry to beat the dead horse of the five eighth discussion, but jesus christ i think half the people on these forums could have us sitting in the top 4 with the side we have.

X

xratedrattice

NYC Player
Oct 17, 2013
sorry 7 rounds,, but hodges playing there is the exact same annoying coaching

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
The five eigth situation is completely different too. Brisbane have no tried and true combos, while the Rabbits have one that's taken them to two prelims.

I just think if we're going to make a fist of this season we should promote a 5/8 and get them ready for the run home, having Hoff on the wing would give us more strike as well provided he doesn't crack the shits and ask for a release.

Last edited:
Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Credit where it's due, the Merritt selection was ballsy but it's hardly earth shattering to swap out wingers.

Sorry, not buying that.

Hodges did more in the first half of this game at 5/8 than Hoggman in all the previous games in the same position.
We need a play-maker in the number 6, someone capable of passing and kicking, to relieve the pressure of Hunt, and actually use our left side, like Hodgo did today... despite Reed derping it up several times.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
vert - That's a fair call.

It's frustrating no doubt about it but given the situation with recruitment and retention, the Hoffman route was the safest route to go down and probably the most rational. Not only did it give the first grade side a sense of stability, it also gave the rookies a chance to apply what they learned in the pre-season and develop naturally through that process.

With the bye round next week, it really is the perfect opportunity to bring in a halves partner, fix the kicking situation and give the Broncos a new dynamic.

While Souths smoked us in the kicking department tonight, I don't think blooding a rookie half would have made a difference. It wouldn't have fixed our soft start, turn-overs or leadership at crucial times.

Hodges did more in the first half of this game at 5/8 than Hoggman in all the previous games in the same position.

Hodges threw some lovely cut-out passes but I'd have a difficult time ranking it over Hoffman's R2 performance. For starters, he came up with that silly razzle dazzle forced turn over BS that just wasn't on a few times and I don't think I've seen a player put himself out of the play than Hodges. It was like watching the NYC all over again wondering what they were thinking on some of their scrum positioning.

Last edited:
X

xratedrattice

NYC Player
Oct 17, 2013
vert - That's a fair call.

It's frustrating no doubt about it but given the situation with recruitment and retention, the Hoffman route was the safest route to go down and probably the most rational. Not only did it give the first grade side a sense of stability, it also gave the rookies a chance to apply what they learned in the pre-season and develop naturally through that process.

With the bye round next week, it really is the perfect opportunity to bring in a halves partner, fix the kicking situation and give the Broncos a new dynamic.

While Souths smoked us in the kicking department tonight, I don't think blooding a rookie half would have made a difference. It wouldn't have fixed our soft start, turn-overs or leadership at crucial times.

Hodges threw some lovely cut-out passes but I'd have a difficult time ranking it over Hoffman's R2 performance. For starters, he came up with that silly razzle dazzle forced turn over BS that just wasn't on a few times and I don't think I've seen a player put himself out of the play than Hodges. It was like watching the NYC all over again wondering what they were thinking on some of their scrum positioning.

but we all know they wont use this time to bring in a halves partner, they will use this time to keep trying to teach their winger how to be a half.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Perhaps.

No point dwelling on hypotheticals though.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
No, it wouldn't have changed those things for sure. On the other hand, we scored 5 tries against souffs, and with Josh there, I'm not sure we would have...

Tonight, we had a guy who actually did a good job of choosing when to pass and run, albeit he should have weighed his moments better in the second half.
Still, Maranta scored a nice try from a cut-out pass that Hoggman would have never thrown, and other passages of play deserved a better outcome. Now imagine a guy capable of not only doing that, but also kick here and there...

I believe we have the team to carry an avid youngster like Paia'aua or Strasser (Kodi is clearly not even close to being ready) through their possible deficiencies, because I have no doubt the up-side of relieving Hunt and having an option other than a five-eight that can only run (even though he is very good at it), is enough to justify it.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Well, the Broncos did put five tries on the reigning premiers who's defence I believe is better than Souths but I see your point.

The stop-gap experiment has served out it's purpose and as we move into the representative period, I believe it's important the Broncos explore their other options.

X

xratedrattice

NYC Player
Oct 17, 2013
No, it wouldn't have changed those things for sure. On the other hand, we scored 5 tries against souffs, and with Josh there, I'm not sure we would have...

Tonight, we had a guy who actually did a good job of choosing when to pass and run, albeit he should have weighed his moments better in the second half.
Still, Maranta scored a nice try from a cut-out pass that Hoggman would have never thrown, and other passages of play deserved a better outcome. Now imagine a guy capable of not only doing that, but also kick here and there...

I believe we have the team to carry an avid youngster like Paia'aua or Strasser (Kodi is clearly not even close to being ready) through their possible deficiencies, because I have no doubt the up-side of relieving Hunt and having an option other than a five-eight that can only run (even though he is very good at it), is enough to justify it.

agreed hodges was definately a step up in class from hoffman,, there was a couple of decent cut out passes he threw and our wingers actually got to see a bit of ball, but its still weaking one position to fill in another. we should have someone throwing those balls putting hodges into space.

X

xratedrattice

NYC Player
Oct 17, 2013
i also wonder what our perception of barba's form would of been if we had a five eighth that had been putting him into more space and he had scored say 5 tries or something so far ?

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Perhaps someone that watched the game on TV can confirm this for me as I haven't seen the recording yet.

Did the ref not allow Broncos to take a quick tap for the penalties that weren't for players inside the 10? I remember a couple of penalties for Rabbitohs players laying on the player for too long or stripping the ball and they have waved the Broncos back? Or did the Broncos just not want to take them?

As far as I know, you can take a quick tap for any penalty that's not for a player inside the 10 as long as your players are on side and they were every time.

I could be wrong, though..

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I know it is a courier mail article, but Todd Balym has a go at the refs in this article...

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-suncorp-stadium/story-fniabm4i-1226896400880

AN extraordinary game ruined by some extraordinary officiating.The NRL is officially in the midst of a referee crisis after the Brisbane Broncos were robbed blind.
South Sydney claimed a 28-26 victory over the Broncos that will remembered for some individual moments of brilliance by the players and some incredible moments of incompetence by the referees.

Brisbane’s crowd of 44,122 booed with disapproval, threw bottles onto the field at one end and Broncos captain Corey Parker complained to Gavin Badger after full-time as the home side were left to lament a poor end to a breathtaking game.

Those feats should’ve been the storyline today, but once again talk will revert to officials and how they came to make some decisions which once again decided a gripping contest.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I think it's the rule changes. These refs just can't keep up.

The amount of bad calls has risen when they speed the game up even more. Surely NRL would get the hint...

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I think it's the rule changes. These refs just can't keep up.

The amount of bad calls has risen when they speed the game up even more. Surely NRL would get the hint...

nothing has changed from last year ... The refs were just as bad then

I've said it before, the NRL referees are the worst from any professional sporting body in the world...

although we know how bad they are, i'm not sure how the problem can be fixed.

V

Viti

NRL Player
Feb 2, 2011
What does everyone think of that obstruction try/no try?

Try for me. Hunt made the wrong decision and initiated contact with the lead runner, the only thing that made me a bit unsure was whether Inglis caught the ball on the inside or outside of the lead runner but it looked fair enough to me.

Unread

Active Now

• john1420
  • Ondi
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • azza.79
  • Fozz
  • mitch222
  • Jedhead
  • Skyblues87
  • Jazza
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.